News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:46:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NVA replacement for an old Taifun diesel?  (Read 760 times)

Offline LarsE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
NVA replacement for an old Taifun diesel?
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:40:19 AM »
Hi all!
I was wondering if anyone know if there is a drop-in replacement for the needle valve assy for an old Taifun 1.5cc diesel?
The threads in the spraybar are worn out  :-[ to the extent that I could easily pull the needle out if  I wanted.
The engine feels ok, starts easily and runs fine though.

It's the one to the right in the picture.
What NVA to get as a replacement?

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: NVA replacement for an old Taifun diesel?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
If the needle ends up redundant I'll have it! Need one for a Hurrican! y1
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »
Is the spraybar a press-in fit, or a "nut job"  n~ ? (sorry, couldn't resist!)

First thing I'd do is put the squeeze on the outside of the Needle Valve body, in an attempt to tighten up the threads. Square would be fine. It looks like the sealing surface would be the needle itself. One might also 'knurl' the outside...somehow...to make the female thread smaller. Carefully done, I think this would work well enough for the rest of the engine's useful life.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:36:14 PM »
Steve,

For slight knurling, without the fancies of a strong lathe and knurling tool, I've found a pair of coarse hand files does a passable job.

Clamp one file flat across its width in a vise with the surface definitely above the vise jaws. Roll the part between that surface and the other coarse file. Unless you slide the piece on one or the other file's cutting faces, you will 'upset' the surface slightly, somewhat like forming a 'rolled thread.'

Works fine on most kinds of brass I've tried it on. Doesn't 'grow' the diameter much, but it may not need much to grab the spraybar hole in the Webra's casting.

(This also works well to put some 'tooth' on a brass outer surface when epoxying-in a threaded tube or pivot bearing. You can use 60-grit paper instead of hand files, and get more of a 'dotted', or even 'diamond' hatching pattern.)

On the other hand, where are the Kap-Pak Universal NVA's from way back when??? Would be just the thing...
\BEST\LOU

Offline LarsE

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:40:08 AM »
It's a nut job  :)
The mounting holes are 3.3mm and the waist is merely 2.5mm in diameter.

I'll have a go at shrinking the threads.

Offline LarsE

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »
Ah, managed to get hold of a spray bar from a Taifun Hobby which I bought as more or less a project for restoration from a guy here in Sweden.
Problem solved... sort of...

The little Hobby engine was in better shape than expected although someone turned the compression plunge upside down.
Corrected the problem and put a proper compression screw in place of the much too short one I found in the engine.
It runs super, actually.
Now I find myself without the complete NVA for THAT engine  ;D
Life's a struggle, a pleasant struggle though.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here