News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:20:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NVA conversion?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
NVA conversion?
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:12:32 PM »
Hello,

I saw Jerry's question here about NAVs for LA .40 and I have a related question but not quite the same.

I switched the remote NVA on my LA .40.  Used a ST NVA.  I had to drill out the case as the ST NVA is larger in diameter.  I noticed that the orifice in the ST doesn't  line up exactly in the center of the case.  It's off off a bit towards the fuel inlet side.

Does the hole not being centered have an adverse effect on performance?  I bench tested the engine after the conversion and everything seemed to be okay but I haven't tried it on a plane  as yet. 

Does the NVA Randy offers require the LA case to be drilled out and will the orifice on Randy's end up in the center?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Messinger

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: NVA conversion?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:18:09 PM »
If you are going to drill it out by hand, use a taper ream and take it slow and easy.

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 06:03:54 PM »
I used a drill press and vice to drill the case/venturi together.  That part turned out well.  I mainly wondered about the orifice in the spray bar not being exactly centered with the opening in the venturi.  Sounds like that's not a significant problem.

I wanted to try the engine in my modified Twister  this week end but the weather here (WV & Western PA) is really bad.  Winds up to 50 mph, blowing rain mixed with snow. 

Several well known fliers are at Brodak's this week end. Everyone hoped to have a little casual flying fun as well as testing some new stuff.  The trees were leaning at nearly 60 degrees from the wind.  Bob Zambelli was willing to fly but only with someone else's plane!  Just  kidding. . . No one tried it.

Thanks for the advice on the NVA.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 10:23:36 PM »
I watched Gary Tultz put up the only flight.
The latest electric Super Clown. Seemed to handle the high winds pretty good.
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 08:35:12 AM »
Hi Joe,

If the hole is only slightly off center do not worry.  If it is a problem, can you put a fiber, or nylon washer, on the bar to line it up?  That works fine.  All you need is a good seal on each side of the case.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jimmy R. Jacobs

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 09:18:04 AM »
 Bill is right . But I would center it was made to run that way.

Jim

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 11:16:46 AM »
Hello Jim,

The problem with trying to center the hole in the venturi is the hole is off center in the venturi -towards- the inlet side of the spray bay.

In other words, the hole in the bar needs to extend further into the venturi in order for it to be centered.  I can't do that with washers or gaskets and there isn't any adjustment on the ST spray bar on the inlet side.  There's not enough metal on the engine case to counter bore it which would allow the spray bar hole to be centered.

As mentioned in other replies (Bill's) to my question, it's not that far off to matter much.  The engine seems to run pretty good so I don't think I'll worry about it.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 11:08:19 AM »
Two things here...

Different ST NVA's have differing lengths. That is, another ST NVA intended for a different engine will have the hole in another position! Look for one that fits!

Also, if you had to open up the vent hole to insert the ST NVA, you have cut down on your venturi throat area. You can open it back up by relieveing (grinding) some material from the center of the spray bar.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 06:53:43 AM »
Joe - for what it's worth,  I tried both the  OS and ST NVAs on various OS engines, including some LAs.

On my engines, the OS worked MUCH better and I did not have to ream the case.
I'm not a fan of the ST NVA - I prefer the positive "ratchet" type as in the OS and ENYA.

When you install it, have the hole in the spray bar turned slightly off center. The 4 to 5 o'clock position is where the pressure is lowest (suction is maximum). There was an interesting article regarding this in an older magazine.

Bob Z.

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
Bob Z.,
On your OS needle valves, do you put a small piece of fuel tubing on the threads for a seal?  I'm using OS needles on my .25's and have heard this is an improvement, but I have not tried it yet.  Seems most of the people around here have switched to an ST type needle valve assembly.
Steve

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 11:11:25 AM »
Hi, Steve - although I've never tried that, it seems like a good idea.
As we know, it takes a very small air leak to cause big problems.

I have seen that done on Fox .35 and some 4 stroke NVAs.

One thing I did notice - the threads on the OS NVAs are very precise - maybe enough that they won't leak air.

The SAITO uses a neat trick - they employ a tiny O-ring on the needle valve - a leak should be impossible.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here