News:

• April 26, 2024, 01:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Notching muffler mounting screws to prevent damage?  (Read 645 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Notching muffler mounting screws to prevent damage?
« on: May 27, 2019, 09:14:04 AM »
          Hello All:

Since I have to now use mufflers, I would like to know if notching the mounting screws may reduce the chances that the engine and/or the muffler may be damaged in a crash.  Perhaps it is time to think about making a small cut under the head of the screw to make it a "break away" sacrificial item.  Easily and inexpensively replaced.  It may save an engine and/or a muffler.

I must give credit to Matt Spencer for prompting me to write this hint.  It sounded good to me!

Thoughts/suggestions?

Be well,

Frank

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Notching muffler mounting screws to prevent damage?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 05:49:00 PM »
Frank,

You should try it and let us know if it works after your next....er, maybe we better not go there?

I would not recommend notching under the screw head for an installation like an OS that has threads in the muffler and full length holes thru the engine case. The bolts may break but they will likely bend at the manifold face and you may bust up the case anyway. when the plane hits the ground this joint is in shear and wants to slip. That would bind up the bolts in the case.

I would take a round patternmaker's file and neck down the screw exactly at the muffler/engine interface location. The screw probably has threads there. File a round notch until you go a bit below the threads. If you like the engine a lot, neck it down more. You know you went too far if they snap when you install them or if they start failing in flight. A muffler that comes loose in flight may pivot on the remaining--now also loose--bolt and bang around on things, even get into the prop. Expect engine damage from that. Frangible bolts for mufflers may have unintended consequences for you.

You will have to reduce your installation torque a bit for reduced shank bolts. Since the prevailing locking torque will be less, I would use Loctite on the threads when you install.

Good luck and happy.....er, well I said I wouldn't go there.

Divot McSlow

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 06:32:31 PM »
Nah, Dave, he should drill little bitty holes in the screw right where he wants them to yield.  That way he can get the remains out with a straight screwdriver.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 12:48:02 AM »
Some motorcycle racers have the problem of unstable ground flinging them off too . . .
So as to get moving again , when theyve broken off the cluch lever , they pre-empt this by filing or sawing a slot at the front , 2 inches out ,
so it breaks off there , and despite the difficulties theyve still got something to hang onto , with two fingers .

Employing the same priciples , on the part its not screwed into , 3/32 or maybe 1/8 out , so theres something left to get a hold on ,
either filing a light 'V' , or a notch or two , will create a ' break joint ' . Screws being cheaper than mufflers ,
if youve the problem of the ground moving into your aeroplanes path , it could keep you in buisness .
Even been employed on engine mounting bolts .

The ideas to leave a fair bit , but create a stress raiser , where ' itll go ' . A bit like a carrier catapult hold down , under severe duress , rather than a lottery as to what snaps .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here