News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: norvel .049  (Read 1156 times)

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
norvel .049
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:25:43 PM »
I should have read the info on Norvel break-in on the 1/2A section.  I picked up an ame revlite .049 at a swapmeet new in the box,  I have this on a test stand and it is so tight at the top it just unscrews the prop nut when I try to flip it.  Is this normal for this engine?  What can be done to make this any easier to turn over/   
ama 5871

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Re: norvel .049
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:37:10 AM »
Bob,

Norvel recommends putting a few drops of Castor oil in the exhaust, and flipping them over about a hundred times by hand, before starting. I did that with mine, but doubt very much that it helped.

The best way to start these is with an electric starter, but they can be started by hand.

Make sure you use a smaller prop such as a 5X3 for initial starts, because these have a big bore venturi, and need to rev up fast to draw enough fuel to keep running! A drop or two of Castor in the exhaust might make it easier to flip the first few starts, but hand choking to draw fuel into the carb was all mine needed.

Use Norvel fuel made by SIG if you can find it, but I used Brodak 10 percent half A fuel, and finally got it running after a lot of aggressive flipping.

They get easier to start after a few runs, so be patient and keep flipping!

I'd recommend the Norvel 25 percent nitro fuel available from SIG, but it will run on 15 percent, with perhaps a little harder starting. Whatever you use, it's best to use the same fuel for break-in, that you intend to run.

Don't ever run a Norvel slobbering rich, as heat is what expands the cylinder enough for it to spin freely. Run it at a fast two cycle, but not quite peaked out for the first few tanks. They are almost impossible to run too lean, as they will just stop if the cylinder gets too hot, and expands enough to lose compression. Amazing little engines.

A good prop for flying is the APC 5.7X3, but a 6X2 would probably work well also. Don't use a 6X3 or larger, as these Norvels like to rev.

Your going to love your Norvel engine.

Bill

Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »
If I understand correctly, this is the AME version as opposed to the BigMig??

If so I thought it needed fuel pressure---but could be wrong. Also it is a really high spinner. On the Big Mig version, I ran a cutdown Grish Black Magnum 5-3 prop (cut to ~4.75" diameter)---it would spin it in the low 20krpm range. Really ran my Baby Clowns and Flite Streaks nice.

Bill is right that a starter (especially a 1/2A starter) is a big help in getting these things going the first few starts. After that, the Big Mig version at least was a pretty easy starter, although the 1/2 A starter was still a pretty nice setup to use.

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:02:49 PM »
Thanks for the information but when I try to turn over the motor the thing is so tight the prop nut lostens up and it locks up at the top.
ama 5871

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »
Bob,

Did you try a drop or two of Castor oil on the piston, before flipping?

The pinch at the top of the stroke is normal for these engines, but don't force it without lube or you can damage the engine! If it's stuck at the top, remove the head and plug, and use a wood dowel just a bit smaller than the cylinder diameter, and tap gently on the top of the piston to free it.

Another trick is to warm the cylinder with a hair dryer or shrink gun, to make it expand a little, and then try flipping it before it cools.

Plastic props will slip much easier than wood props, so try a wood prop for your initial runs. Keep the size under 6X3, as mentioned before.

Alan,

I only have one AME .049 and have not run it, but I don't think they have to have pressure. The cylinder ports are different, but the venturi is the same, so it should draw fuel as well as the Big Mig.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 03:52:55 PM »
I have had success with the 100 turns by hand with good light lube and the head removed, have also had very tight norvels throw the props after starting, keep working with fast flips and it should loosen up enough to start. I would suggest pressure for an ame, have not had much success without at least muffler pressure. I only run 2 ame's right now , 1 with muffler pressure on a stunt plane and 1 with bladder on a combat ship.  They are very good engines,,  Good Luck  ,  Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »
The one thing not mentioned so far is that those castor-lubed hand turns are supposed to be backwards (clockwise, from the front). I can't imagine what difference this makes, but it has worked for all of my NorVels. One other point to consider is that the 5-3 should be considered a flying prop; these little engines like to rev, and don't develop much power below 18K rpm.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 08:52:24 PM »
Suggest to post a link down in the 1/2 A "building" section---might get a a few more comments.

Also there was a Norvel Faq over on RCUniverse. Here is the link.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3747976/tm.htm

Offline bob werle

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 01:20:09 AM »
I removed the head and plug,put in a couple drops of caster and using an old top flite 6-3 wood prop gave this beast a couple hundred hand turns-clockwise.  With the head back on and tightened I can now flip the motor thru a couple of revolutions.  Hip-Hip Hooray  I guess 12:05 am is too early to try to start this so I will have to wait till a more appropriate time (7:00 am?)
Thank you all for your help.  I am a 60's + retread and I never had this much trouble with my McCoy's,but then they were not as strong as some of these newer engines.
The reason for this motor is a profile version of the old DeBolt All American 26" span.  I am making it a profile to save time in building.
Thank You all again
ama 5871

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 07:03:31 AM »
"The one thing not mentioned so far is that those castor-lubed hand turns are supposed to be backwards (clockwise, from the front). I can't imagine what difference this makes, but it has worked for all of my NorVels."

Might be that clockwise will tighten vs loosen the prop screw if it binds at TDC..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »
"The one thing not mentioned so far is that those castor-lubed hand turns are supposed to be backwards (clockwise, from the front). I can't imagine what difference this makes, but it has worked for all of my NorVels."

Might be that clockwise will tighten vs loosen the prop screw if it binds at TDC..

Very clever, Allen! I had not thought of that angle.

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 05:46:14 AM »
The 100 flip thing works, but a heat gun and a starter is the best way. 

Too bad they dont make these anymore.  Yes the initial starts were hard, but they are tough engines.  SIG has used them at KidVenter every year, and they are used and abused for 9 days each year and just keep running.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here