News:

• May 22, 2024, 03:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Norvel 0.074 hel engine  (Read 686 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Norvel 0.074 hel engine
« on: October 23, 2008, 07:52:42 AM »
I am in the process of converting and running in a Norvel 074 heli engine to use on some small stuff.  The heli engine only had an exaust throttle and a control line venturi.  I have 2 questions.

The problem is that the engine is not turning up to the level I would expect and what I had heard for the RC version.  At this point I am using a standard plug as norvel plugs are hard to get.  I get about 14000 on a 7x4 and is seems to labor on this prop.  A 6x3 wood is not much better about 15800.  This is on sig 10%.  I know if I use the real norvel plug and more nitro, the rpm will come up a little, but my question is about venturi size.

1) The control line venturi seems tiny, it is somewhere between .116 and .12.  (numbered drill size).  Should it be bigger?

Also I have a turbo plug conversion head that I will try, but would love to have a head button set up for Nelson plugs.

2) I have sume bunred out head buttons can I tap one out for a neslon plug?  No lathe, just a drill press.

Dave Siegler
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Norvel 0.074 hel engine
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »
I think a better solution would be to have Henry (himself) drill and tap your head button. The charge is fairly nominal - Around $20 including a few glow plugs. You also need to run more nitro, around 25% to get the NorVels to crank up.

Email Henry- -     nelcomp (at) fyi (dot) net

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »
Last time I ran a Norvel .049 on the bench (not quite broke-in), I tried some Norvel 35% nitro fuel. I was surprised to see the RPM was about the same as I got with Sig 10%, on the same 5.7 X 3 APC.  ???

Think I may have reached a point where a compression adjustment (head gaskets) was needed.

Has anyone else tried the higher nitro fuels in Norvel Big Migs?

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:23:57 PM »
IMO, just from my trials, which have been many, not much difference in performance between 20 or 25 % nitro and 35%, 35 just burns out more glo plugs. Nelson and TeeDee (head), plugs are as close as you will get to the factory Norvel plugs, which in my opinion are great. Most aftermarket glo plug and head set ups suffer a loss of compression, which on a Norvel equals loss of performance as they like to rev high. If you tap a head try to keep the space inside the plug as close to the original as possible. I have tried several aftermarkets and the engines will not run well unless the original compression is saved!! I only have one of the .074 heli converted engines and it does not rev as i think it should, but my neighbor (Nascar engineer) lapped the piston because he thought it was too tight at the top!! I had left it with him one day to help make motor mounts and when i came home he had broke in the engine for me!! HB~> I too think the venturi size is very small on this motor, maybe my next adventure with this engine will be to enlarge the venturi. For my thinking venturi size is all trial and what works, right now i am trying different venturi size on .061 Norvels, so far the smaller venturi on the car engines gives more rpm's and will rev with the ame's and their larger venturi's. Just getting started on this quest myself, please post if you come across any anwers or solutions,    Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 09:29:10 PM »
I measured the venturi size with a numbered drill bit.  .116 fits the next size I have doesn't .120.  The RC guys are telling me they get 16800 to 17000 on a 7x3.  I don't get that much.  I will try a real plug and 25% this weekend.

Does anyone have a cox 0.09 they could measure the choke area for me?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here