News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: noisless breakin  (Read 462 times)

Offline louie klein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
noisless breakin
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:44:52 AM »
Hi all, I woke up this morning thinking about breaking in a new Fox .35 I got. Being fuel is exspenive and in some cases hard to get, I wondered if it would be possable to hook up an electric motor nose to nose with the Fox, remove the glow plug and run the motor this way for a certain amount of time before running it with fuel under normal loads. Crazy or what. What'chere thoughts? Thanks ---LOUIE

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: noisless breakin
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:59:28 AM »
People used to do this sort of thing with the old ignition engines.  It doesn't give you the heating and cooling cycles that a normal break in would produce. I have a Norvel Big Mig which I took the glow head off, put some Rislone in, and chucked it in my Dremel.  Seemed to work fine.  I think I was supposed to oil it up and turn it  over 100 times by hand. 

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »
Back in the olden days we used to try to break engines with techniques like that.  We reuined most of 'em without ever getting a good run.

Tolerances and fits are a lot better than they used to be.  Modern breakin is generally not a big deal.

I like to give it a few short bench run with an undersize prop and oily fuel, then go airborne with a faithful test model.

The problem is, fits vary somewhat from engine to engine, so you have no way of knowing how much breakin is needed without actually running the engine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:04:32 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
Sounds good, Thanks guys!---LOUIE

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here