News:

• May 01, 2024, 02:18:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitro availability  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Nitro availability
« on: May 27, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »

A long-time LHS owner told me this weekend the chances are good that the future will bring much higher nitro prices, and possibly even difficulty obtaining it at all. 

Two questions:

1.  How practical would it be modify our current stunt engines for higher compression, allowing them to run on straight alky fuel?  I'm guessing stroke length is a key factor. 

2.  Does anyone know if research has been done to find a cheaper, less exotic ignition agent for use in model fuel?  There are a lot of combustible chemicals out there.  (Safety considerations are obviously important).

Thanks,
Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Alan Hahn

Re: Nitro availability
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 06:26:18 PM »
I remember a few (more than a few I am afraid--in the 1990's), a nitro plant blew up and all of a sudden, nitro became hard to get. I vaguely remember that it had to now come from China (but I am fuzzy on that). I think it was a single supplier.

I know some manufacturer's (Fox???) looked to nitroethane as a replacement. Also some manufacturers of engines (maybe Fox again) tried to retool at some of their engines to run on FAI fuel.

In the end not much really seemed to come of it. I recall still being able to buy fuel with nitro.

But with the cost of oil, everything that can supply energy is going up (including food!). Hmmm maybe my Lipo's will begin to look cheap!

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:39:33 PM »

...In the end not much really seemed to come of it. I recall still being able to buy fuel with nitro...

Yeah, I think that's the key.  As long as it's available at a not outrageous price, it's biz as usual. 

LHS said the Chinese stuff is cheap in more ways than one.  I asked if it really made a difference, and he said yes, several of his customers got rid of engine run problems by switching to Sig fuel, with the real stuff.  He said there is only one U.S. supplier of nitro, and the NHRA has stopped buying from them.  So, FWIW.....

Kim
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:00:56 AM »
This found in another online forum (NASS CL speed forum) regarding Nitro and current availability. I don't like to spread unsubstantiated rumours but I would consider the two gentlemen mentioned by name as reliable sources:

Hello Alll,

There is a very severe shortage of Nitro methane developing.  Many of the Model airplane suppliers are or have ran out of Nitro.  Mike Lee at SIG said that it is rumored that the shortage is caused by the earthquake in China shutting down the factories that are the main producers of the fuel component.  There is only one producer of Nitro in the US and they do not sell to the model airplane fuel producers.   

So the short story is that if you need fuel get it now!  Due to NASS’s contract with SIG they have our mix on the shelf and the price will not change.  The fuel for the Nationals, most of the contests in the Midwest and LA area of California has been ordered by the CD’s.  These orders were shipped by SIG today.  Any other CD holding speed contests should place their orders with Barry Tippett to insure that they will have contest fuel.

Dave Mark

Editor- SpeedTimes

cheers, Graham

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »
  Mornin guy's, At one time nitro was made here in North Louisiana and that plant blew up.
  I don't remember the name of the town that is was produced in but I'm sure that someone else will.
  Aren't all engines made out of the U S A set up for no nitro fuel such as F A I fuel? Seems that a few years ago the engines from Japan were in this group.
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »
I just tried to order some fuel from Sig and they were out of stock on most blends.  And Mike, who hangs out over on RC Hang Out, says it may be a couple of months before they get nitoro to make more.

Anyobyd know of any dealers who stock Sig fuels and will be willing to ship?  Or PowerMaster?
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
No Red Chinese Nitro 'til after the Olympics,,,
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
As mentioned above, I heard it live on a drag racing show on TV today.

We were getting our nitromethane from Red China and they have shut down some chemical plants to head off possible Olympic protests.

One of the drag racing competators is the importer who brings in nitro and sells it others.  He currently has "about 400 drums", (55-gallon, I pressume), which is hoped to be enough to the get the NHRA through the summer racing season.

So the pipeline is definately empty, and will probably take some time to refill when production starts again.

I guess the thing to do is buy whatever's on the shelves and adjust the oil/methanol as needed.

Paul Smith

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 04:34:09 AM »
The model fuel manufacturers use an importer by the name of Angus as there only nitro source. So it doesn't matter if you fly R/C planes, control line or R/C cars we are in trouble for now. The model fuel suppliers don't use the auto racing nitro source. Nitro does come from China and there are several rumors on why there is none available currently. The Olympics, the earthquake, who knows really for now. The fact is that currently there is none coming in, so if the the company you buy your fuel from has none they will not have any for quite some time. There is no nitro manufactured in the US and you can thank your treehuggers for that, along with the gasoline and diesel refining issues we now have in this country.
I was not told that nitro will disappear for good however your fuel costs are going to jump when the supply is resumed.

Wayne Buran
Northcoast Hobby
Powermaster Dealer

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Graham Collins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 05:55:35 AM »
A link to some interesting information on this subject:

http://vpracingfuels.com/article.html?articleURL=2454616.62469907

cheers, Graham

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:05:24 AM »
Two questions:

1.  How practical would it be modify our current stunt engines for higher compression, allowing them to run on straight alky fuel?  I'm guessing stroke length is a key factor. 

2.  Does anyone know if research has been done to find a cheaper, less exotic ignition agent for use in model fuel?  There are a lot of combustible chemicals out there.  (Safety considerations are obviously important).
1. There seems to be some kind of mystique about nitro because any engine will run very well without it. Well, let's say I've never used it in the last 50 years anyway :). I've had no problems using zero nitro in any of my stunt engines...40VF's, Irvine 40RLS, Stalker, G51...they've all run great. Even a worn out Fox 35 gives instant starts and perfect runs (and I don't know of ANY other engine with a lower compression than those things).

2. Adding about 3% acetone is supposed to be roughly the equivalent of having 5% nitro as far as starting and idling goes...but we're not too worried about idling are we?

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
Those of us who fly diesels are not concerned as much as we might be. 

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:18:28 PM »
Those of us who fly sparkers on gasoline are not concerned to much either, but ether might be next Jim. Someone once told me that diesels would run on corn cobs and molases. Their should be lots of cobs from the corn they are using to make ethenol. S?P
Jim Kraft

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »

Anybody have experience with diesel conversions of glow engines?

Kim
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 01:44:53 PM »
Yes, do not run a heavy hub on your dieselized Tower 40. HB~>
I also had a problem with the contrapiston of the RJL head coming apart.  The O-ring groove was too close to the face and a circle of metal separated and really overcompressed the engine. :o  Gene Hemple made me a new contapiston with a thicker shelf and it has been doing fine.  I've put in a few runs on a Magnum Pro 40. I tried to run muffler pressure, as I did with the Tower 40, and it did not work well.  Took the muffler off and it ran fine.  I flew it through two OTS patterns before the outside wing on  my old #7 Easy blew off. 

I ran the Tower 40 probably 1000 flights glow with the heavy hub and no problem.  But I went through four crankshafts in a few hundred flights running diesel.  Others have had no problem flying dieselized Tower 40's, so I think (hope) the heavy hub was the problem. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here