News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:02:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New...Old Enyas  (Read 2175 times)

Offline joe renfro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
New...Old Enyas
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:05:29 AM »
Just received an email from a "Downunder" modeler.....This is good news to me as I started  using these engines in the 60's and have re kindled them again as I am getting back into the sport...So for anyone looking for a new Enya..Enya has reintroduced the early square venturi 29-IV and 35-III engines at very reasonable prices. They come with the usual 3 venturis but only the one cylinder head.

http://www.enya-engine.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_29

Prices look very attractive....!!

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: New...Old Enyas
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 06:17:39 AM »
I cringe to think how much shipping is, though(!)  Do I understand the add correctly, that you have to order the muffler separately?

Its totally cool that they brought them back, I'd like to get one if the total package (engine, muffler, shipping, etc) isn't too bad!

Steve
Steve

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 08:24:16 AM »
I used a currency calculator, $13.50 to ship an engine from Japan. Mufflers are sold separately. Price of the 35III is about $63 (US) and the 29IV $59(US), at least that was true yesterday. I emailed Enya and got an email back from Ken Enya himself with the shipping costs. The mufflers cost about $6 shipping. I'm not sure if the engines come with two heads and assortment of square intakes. There's also an old style 60 for sale for about $140. Engines should arrive in about 3 days. Imagine. Back in time to 1960s (50s?). In one phase of my model airplane fascination I loved these engines. When I got back into the hobby 4 years ago, I spent a season trying to make these oldies work with mufflers. Lots of trouble. Switched over to more modern OSfps and LAs. Last night I checked the compression on the troublesome Enyas. Could be they were worn out. Maybe some flecks of corrosion lunched the piston/cylinder fit. They had been lying around in a damp basement for 30 years.

Interestingly enough the square port Enyas were originally a team race engine. I read this somewhere on the web. Dan Banjok has one that cranks. On the other hand the low compression head and small venturis seem to make them stunt worthy. At the prices these engines are being sold for, I plan to give them another try. Will get me day dreaming for sure.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 09:21:17 AM »
Can you order them direct from Enya then?  How does that work? Can you use a credit card?
Steve

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »
Credit card is probably is the easiest way to go. When the sale is registered the it automatically converts the foreign currency to US. As far as I know there's no exchange cost. It's a direct transfer. Ken Enya got back to me within 12 hours. Some fascinating English constructions, but readable. Ask him any questions, seems like you'll get a straight answer. Looks like the website is configured for credit card. I talked with Ian Smith at Brodak, he said shipping engines from OZ was no problem, but larger items cost a lot. Perhaps the same applies to Japan.

Offline joe renfro

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
Dennis...I am just starting in C/L again..after  million years and only used ST and Enya engines back in the day...have cleaned ..oiled ..and all of my have fired right up///first one was a .35 #6001...bolted to stand..got everything ready  closed the needle and gave a squirt of all castor Ritches Brew ..felt a bump and flipped..damned if it didnt run all the prime out..and after 20+ years of sleeping...These things last forever and have a tone all their own...just dont run any syn lube fuel in them..I think thats a no no..

Have sent ken Enya several emails ..he has always responded..

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 07:37:05 PM »
I guess we can't get them here, or maybe just can't get them in Virginia.  I tried to order one tonight but after filling out all the forms it says "shipping not available, Japanese mail service only". 

So much for that idea......
Steve

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 10:10:47 PM »
Steve,

Email Enya. Find out what's up. Chanlau received his engine in three days from Japan. I believe he lives in Maryland. See the Enya information on SSW. It's a current thread.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 12:32:01 PM »
I give up.  I tried again, and Ken emailed me that there should not be a problem, but the website keeps telling me shipping is unavailable.  Now, the motor I wanted is unavailable, too, so thats that.
Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 05:44:33 PM »
Update, I emailed back and forth with Ken and we got the order sorted out.  A .35 is on its way!  Cool!
Steve

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 08:19:43 PM »
What was your final total?  I like those things.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 10:31:22 PM »
What was your final total?  I like those things.

About 94 bucks for engine, muffler, and shipping.
Steve

Offline Vince Mankowski

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 08:53:48 AM »
Enya takes PayPal. Makes it very easy..... shipping is FAST

Vince
Vince Mankowski

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 08:47:36 PM »
Yup ,

Enya doesa great job of getting their product to you ...

I ordered two engines at different times and both came in 11 days from both shipping dates . That's to north central Manitoba , Canada  y1

Kudos to Enya and the Japanese postal service .
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Dan Labine

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 08:52:46 AM »
Got mine yesterday. Only took 7 days from Japan to Northern Ontario. I guess our dogsleds are faster than Manitoba's. I hope the Blue Bombers do well this Sunday.
Dan
MAAC 14300

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 11:14:50 AM »
 I ordered my .35 on the 20th,got it today, 4 days from Japan is quick!! It came with 3 inserts one head.

Walter #^
walter menges

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »
My .35 came in yesterday!!!!  It looks great!
Steve

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »
Hello,

Most of the infomation I've read regarding the older Enyas call for a high castor oil content fuel.  25% seems to often recommended.

Does anyone know if the new Enyas require that much castor or is a synthetic/castor blend (maybe 11/11%) alright for the new engines?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 01:59:45 PM »
Just looked and both the .29 and .35 are listed as sold out, rats. HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here