News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:56:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new tank setup  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
My new tank setup
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:13:07 AM »
Since quite a few people have asked me about this, here it is.

I generated this computer model of the tank I made for my SAITO .30 powered Argus.
It starts as a stock 2-ounce wedge, modified as follows:

I put in two vertical tubes from the bottom as shown.  The vent, which gets muffler pressure, goes to the forward upper inboard corner of the tank. The filler is about ½ inch outboard – capped after filling.

I drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the back, and extended the pickup tube out ¼ inch.
(note that the pictures show two positions for the pickup tube – put it wherever    you want)
I drilled two 3/32 holes into the tank as shown. They are approximately ¼ inch in from the pickup and 3/8 inch on centers. The fuel feeds into the auxiliary reservoir through these holes.

I made the reservoir from a 9/16 long piece of 5/8 OD brass tube, shaped to the tank, with the rear blocked off with a piece of brass shimstock. The reservoir is simply soldered to the back of the tank, flush to the outside. All fuel that gets to the engine comes in through the reservoir.

I was totally pleased with this setup. The engine gave a perfect run through the entire pattern. Then, it ran lean for the last four or five laps.

Questions?

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: My new tank setup
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:05:17 AM »
Pretty cool Bob,

This puts the hopper closer to the fuselage on a profile and allows for a built up fuselage installation of a chicken hopper tank. Think I will have to try this...

I made a small chicken hopper for my Saito 30 kinda like the GRW tanks but not as wide.. It didn't work any better than a standard hard tank so I went to a clunk.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 08:51:37 AM »
Bob,

I understand the chicken hopper layout. I've used various kinds of chicken hopper setups forever. What I don't understand is, you show two vents entering the bottom of the tank and another vent exiting the tank on the upper side of the outboard wedge. Then add in the fuel supply exit and that's 4 exit tubes. One goes to the engine, one to muffler pressure (which?) and one is the overflow and capped. What is the last one?

Any chance of an internal view of the vent layout.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 09:57:08 AM »
Hi, Randy - I should have clarified it better in my first post.
I show two OPTIONAL positions for the pickup (outlet) tubes.
Depending on your needs, it can come out from anywhere on the wedge OR, out the front.
So, looking at my cartoon, you would use one or the other.

I fill through the outboard bottom tube (filler) untill fuel runs out the inboard bottom tube (vent), which goes to the muffler. When fuel drizzles out the muffler, I cap off the filler tube and I'm in business.

Make sense?

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:42:14 AM »
As there has been some recent discussion on tanks for 4-S engines, I decided to bring this up.

Bob Z.

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 12:03:24 PM »

Bob,

With the pickup tube extended 1/4" beyond the rear of the tank, and the reservoir 9/16" long, that leaves 5/16" between the end of the pickup and the back of the reservoir.  Is there an advantage to not extending the pickup closer to the back of the reservoir?

Thanks,
Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:25:26 PM »
Hi, Kim - excellent question.

First off, the functional length of the "hopper" is really 1/2 inch, since the shimstock plug is recessed 1/16 inch.

But, in my line of thinking, I wanted a change in engine speed to act as a warning - it worked out because the last few laps are always a bit lean, indicating the forthcoming shutoff.

One thing that I find a bit disconcerting about 4 stroke engines - there is absolutely no warning of shutoff - it just plain stops. This tank changes that as it allows the engine to pull in some bubbles, temporarily leaning the mixture.

I could not be happier with the way it works - the runs are PERFECT!!!!!  #^ #^ #^

Thanks for your comment.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »
Boy is my memory bad, thought it was cool and even replied, than completly forgot about my wanting to try it on something.. glad you brought it up again...

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 01:33:57 PM »
Bob - if you heard my Argus run at Brodak's, you know how well this setup works.

Bob Z.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 02:56:12 PM »
Since my Strega article, a number of people have sent me both questions and comments on tanks for 4S engines.

To date, this is still the ABSOLUTE BEST 4S setup I've ever used.

I thought it would be worth revisiting.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 05:28:50 PM »
Had an interesting experience last weekend.. One of our club members had a p-40 profile slightly overweight and powered with a Thunder Tiger 36.. We pulled the TT and discovered a Saito 40 bolted right up.. Used the same uniflow, GRW wedge tank he was running with the TT and bolted on the Saito off my TwistMaster..

Probably the best way to describe the run was, the very next day he ordered a Saito 40 from Horizon.. It ran great and as consistant as it did with the clunk tank on my TwistMaster.

I'm rethinking what has been a pretty hard stand on using clunk tanks with 4 strokes. I believe when I went through my hard tank tests I really didn't have the other important pieces of the puzzle in place. I now believe the two most important pieces are the venturi size and prop. You either have to match a prop to a fixed venturi or be able to adjust the venturi to match the prop.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »
As I understand the definition of "Chicken Hopper" tanks, this is not one. The uniflow vent would have to also end inside the 'hopper'. Since there isn't a uniflow vent, this 'hopper' would be properly called a 'sump', I think. But it could easily be modified into a true chicken hopper, if you wanted to. One more hole and another tube into the hopper & done.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 08:16:02 AM »
What program did you use to draw the 3D model.
How long did it take to draw,  assuming you are an experienced user ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 02:47:49 AM »
Steve - your comment makes sense - it really is a little sump.
I DO NOT use uniflow - ever.
I've tried it on different occasions with both 2 and 4 stroke engines and found no difference - ESPECIALLY with 4 strokes.
The sump on the end of the tank solved many erratic run issues with the SAITO .30.
I had tried a number of different setups but nothing seemed to work.

Allan - The 3-D program called Solid Edge. It's absolutely the most user friendly program I've ever used.
Since it's parametrically driven, any form of editing on the model is very easy.
Same for converting to an engineering drawing.
The real beauty is the program is its ability to determine physical properties. Once a model is created, you can enter the material specific gravity and it will calculate total mass/weight, centroids, mass moments of inertia about three axies, radii of gyration, etc.
If you use a number of parts to create an assembly, it will calculate the physical properties of the assembly, integrating those of all the parts.

The images you see took around a half hour to create (I have lots of experience), and they were then saved as .jpg files. That's what you see here.

Bob Z.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 08:17:19 AM »
And the best part about Solid Edge is that its so very cheap,, or uh NOT  lol
I am a tried and true Cad guy, sure wish I could step up into parametric modeling at least as an experiment, but man all this software is a years worth of modeling budget and then some! Guess I will stick to my Autocad,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
Hi, Mark - agreed!! solid Edge is very expensive. Obviously not intended for the hobbyist.

I'm not aware of any parametric programs in our ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$) range.

Bob Z.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 04:34:19 PM »
Bob Z.  The "sump" tank is very clever.  I think with it you can eliminate the "wedge" part of the tank, as the sump will drain the last of the fuel without having to resort to the wedge trick to urge the fuel to the pickup tube.   I generally build rectangular tanks because (1) you get max fuel volume in the often cramped space available (2) it's easier to bend up and solder.

Floyd in OR
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »
Hi, Floyd.
Thank you - I totally agree. Seems like a plain old rectangular tank without the wedge would indeed do the trick.
With the little sump on the rear, fuel would slosh around in the main tank, eventually ending up in the sump, where it is trapped and can only exit  through the feed tube. The ultimate baffle.
I will try it.
Thanks for the suggestion.  :! :!
Bob Z.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 07:49:54 PM »
Here is a picture of a tank I was working on for a twin Saito 30 Heinkel  . In theory after a half of the fuel was gone the engine would cut off after about 10 laps flying level. You have too keep doing the pattern to keep the hopper full. The intake holes are in the top of the hopper and would fill the hopper in a climb or flying inverted. It worked pretty well but I couldn’t stand the worry that it might cut off at the top of some maneuver.
Willis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here