News:

• May 07, 2024, 07:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Merco .40 abc  (Read 1909 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Merco .40 abc
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:26:57 AM »
Hi all just scored a 1990's Merco .40 abc, I know these things don't like alot of nitro so I'm wondering if it's ok to run my Fox fuel, it has 10% nitro and alot of castor. I guess what I meen is it ok to run alot of castor in a abc engine.
Thanks
Dwayne

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
Re: Merco .40 abc
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »
The castor won't hurt the engine but if you add a little synthetic to the mix it will keep the varnish from building up inside the engine.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:38:56 AM »
Hi Dwayne,

If it were me I wouldn't use Fox fuel on an ABC engine. Too much oil for a start. From memory Fox fuel is 28 or 29% oil, you should be looking at around 22% oil for a typical ABC. I would recommend that you use half and half, castor and synthetic (I use Motul but any decent synthetic will do).  With fuel to this spec, you won't get the dreaded burnt on castor grunge! The synthetic keeps the engine clean!
  Lots of folk in the UK use only synthetic in their ABC engines, it seems to work BUT one good really lean run on all synthetic and bang goes your P/L! With mixed castor and synthetic, the castor will afford some protection if you get a lean run.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:04:13 PM »
Are you talking about the Merco Rustler.40? If so don't run over 18% oil and 1/4 castor is the max  I would use. To much oil gives flame outs and erratic running. I have two of the very early ones and have run them fast at 10,000+rpm with 10/4 props and slow  with 11.5x4.5 props at 7500rpm. In the beginning I had erratic runs with 20% oil 50-50. Mine are high mileage motors and they have not lost any power. Some people gave up on them because they ran to much oil. I got rid of the funky needle valve set up. I have run 5% and even 20% nitro and had no problems.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
My guess is that this is one of the blackhead Mercos that were imported by World Engines in the late 80's and early 90's. I have one and it took one trip to Tom Dixon and some hand lapping by myself to get it to run right. It is not a powerhouse but is very smooth. I have found a 10X6 prop and Sig 25% all castor fuel to be a good combination.  It is in a Hemstrought PT-19.  Good luck with yours (if it is infact, one of this series, if not...nevermind)  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Dwayne

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies, it's a Premier Merco here's a pic.
Thanks
Dwayne

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »
Are you talking about the Merco Rustler.40? If so don't run over 18% oil and 1/4 castor is the max  I would use. To much oil gives flame outs and erratic running. I have two of the very early ones and have run them fast at 10,000+rpm with 10/4 props and slow  with 11.5x4.5 props at 7500rpm. In the beginning I had erratic runs with 20% oil 50-50. Mine are high mileage motors and they have not lost any power. Some people gave up on them because they ran to much oil. I got rid of the funky needle valve set up. I have run 5% and even 20% nitro and had no problems.

Ted and I ran ours *bone stock* with Powermaster GMA fuel (22% oil) and found them to be dead reliable and repeatable. That includes the needle valve/spraybar. I think Ted just came in 4th at VSC running it that way (with, near as I can tell *no* practice flights since about August).  I am sure it doesn't need a lot of oil, but at least reasonable amounts of oil cause no harm.

The one problem that we found was that the muffler tended to heat up the fuel tank, so you need some insulation between it and the tank, or it will go progressively richer throughout the flight sometimes (as the fuel gets hotter and the viscosity drops). I am also less-than-thrilled about the screw-on muffler cantilevered out there, but it has held on both of our engines so far. I have seen a few self-destruct for other people, and I would make sure that it's tight every flight, because if it gets loose it will eat up the threads in short order.

We also noticed that there was no problem with moderate amounts (up to 25%) of nitro, and that it didn't seem to care if you ran 8500 or 10000. The instructions added by the importers had all sorts of warnings about head shims, etc, with nitro but it's absolutely no problem with 15% even at sea level.

I think we were both very happy with the performance, although I haven't actually finished the model I was building for it, we ran both of ours in several of Ted's airplanes.

Brett

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:55:02 AM »
That is the engine I was talking about. It has been awhile since I looked at it and I was mistaken about the black head. Only thing in common with the Rustler is the name. It was a real bear to get to run right but now runs great, maybe a little more power than a Fox 35 but much smoother. I did replace the needle valve as the stock one is very coarse. Have you tried to run it yet? I remember it having a lot of pinch up top and taking lots of break in (see previous post).  8).
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
Hi all just scored a 1990's Merco .40 abc, I know these things don't like alot of nitro so I'm wondering if it's ok to run my Fox fuel, it has 10% nitro and alot of castor. I guess what I meen is it ok to run alot of castor in a abc engine.
Thanks
Dwayne

I have a 1990's Merco .35 ABC - the instructions say "Do not use synthetic oil ...." - so I've been running Sig 10% nitro, all Castor and the engine purrs.  The one time I mistakenly put Sig "Red" 1/2 & 1/2 in it, it let me know in a hurry that it didn't like it - wouldn't hold a setting and was cutting out and back in on square corners.  Mercifully quit doing an inside square and the next tank of proper fuel was back to being a pussy cat.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here