News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:08:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: McCoy 36?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
McCoy 36?
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:12:07 PM »
Spent all day helping a good friend (fellow racer) drop the pan and rebearing the engine in his racecar instead of going to the flying field. As I was preparing to leave he handed me a model engine. It says McCoy 36 (not 35) on the left side and has a champion glow plug in the head . I checked to be sure it wasn't a spark plug. It is definately a glow plug. It has a threaded boss on the rear of the crankcase, but not drilled all the way thru. the venturi in front has what looks like a removeable insert, and I checked the piston at TDC and there is definately some subpiston induction going on(there is a gap). Might this be a good running engine suitable for  OTS and would a muffler work on it even though it has SPI? It looks in Great shape. Only missing the needle. Thanks in advance. What have I got here?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: McCoy 36?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:16:40 PM »
Spent all day helping a good friend (fellow racer) drop the pan and rebearing the engine in his racecar instead of going to the flying field. As I was preparing to leave he handed me a model engine. It says McCoy 36 (not 35) on the left side and has a champion glow plug in the head . I checked to be sure it wasn't a spark plug. It is definately a glow plug. It has a threaded boss on the rear of the crankcase, but not drilled all the way thru. the venturi in front has what looks like a removeable insert, and I checked the piston at TDC and there is definately some subpiston induction going on(there is a gap). Might this be a good running engine suitable for  OTS and would a muffler work on it even though it has SPI? It looks in Great shape. Only missing the needle. Thanks in advance. What have I got here?

Hi Gordon,

Those were the forerunners to the Red Head McCoys of the late '50s and on, and were actually made by Dick McCoy.

IIRC, there were two 36s.  A Sportsman and a Super Stunt.  I have never run either one.  A frien has a .19 of that vintage (it's ringed) and it runs ina 2 cycle.  Don't know if the .36 will 4-2, I kinda doubt it, but I know it will run the wet 2 really good.  it would power a smaller OTS ship perwtty good, and they were of much better quality than the later Red Heads.

Bill <><

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »
I guess I will find a needle , mount it to the test stand and run some Fox type fuel thru it and see what happens. It looks kinda kool with that Champion plug in it . Sorta like the spark ign engines but with out the points. Are the champions still available?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »
I guess I will find a needle , mount it to the test stand and run some Fox type fuel thru it and see what happens. It looks kinda kool with that Champion plug in it . Sorta like the spark ign engines but with out the points. Are the champions still available?

The Champion glow plugs were the "hot" ticket at one time.  They haven't been made in years. :(

The old McCoys were well made engines.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 11:26:57 PM »
You didn't memtion whether it had rings, or not. The Super Stunt .36 (with rings) was a pretty good-running engine. I have two, and am thinking about a light Magician for one of them.  The Sportsman (w/o rings) was a lower-performance version, but still a decent engine.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 12:09:32 AM »
You didn't memtion whether it had rings, or not. The Super Stunt .36 (with rings) was a pretty good-running engine. I have two, and am thinking about a light Magician for one of them.  The Sportsman (w/o rings) was a lower-performance version, but still a decent engine.

Thanks, Ralph. 

I mentioned both engines, but didn't/couldn't remember if BOTH were ringed or not.

I knew the Super Stunt was (at least at one time!).  y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 10:28:38 PM »
It looks like some of the posts have been lost off this thread. One of the posts stated that just because the engine lacks rings does not necessarily mean that it is a sportsman engine , that in fact it could be a lapped version of the stunt 36. How could I determine which one I have?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 09:47:40 PM »
Post a picture of it! It's my understanding that the Sportsman was a plain bearing version of the rear rotor racing McCoy's. The Super Stunts were front intake engines, configured about like the Enyas of that vintage (front end removeable, no backplate).

I seem to recall that the McCoy NV assembies were the same for the Super Stunt, Redhead cheapos, and the Series 21 (style-ized squarish case with fins). Also, that they were very easy to break, and generally not worth fooling around with, unless you are after authenticity. I'd measure the old spraybar and see what fits. If it's .156", with no steps, then a ST, ST clone or Randy Smith NV assembly would be great. He also makes one for Fox .35 Stunts that might fit (.125" with a step). OS has .135" diameter, and Tower Hobby has them. I really prefer Randy's (made by Henry Nelson) spraybar assemblies. 
y1  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 09:52:38 PM »
Randy's PA NVA fits the McCoy Red Heads.  Also the ST fits.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here