News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnum .36 props  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Magnum .36 props
« on: October 20, 2007, 04:46:42 PM »
Lately, I've been exposed more to both types of Magnum .36's, XL and XLS. Jeff Rein has an old 80mph combat XL in his ARF Smoothie. Running an 11-4 APC, it was pretty impressive, as is Jeff's flying. Mike Haverly and I got Jeff to try a 10.5 x 4.5 APC, hoping that it would work better, but not sure. It did; Jeff was happy.

In August, at the Prairie Fire event in Edmonton, AB, Monty Summach said that he was going to sell his Brodak Olympic, which I'd seen Monty fly the previous year. As I'd judged Classic and Expert, I got to watch it carefully, and it worked very well. I ended up taking it home, minus engine, Magnum XLS .36 powered. But I was smart enough to ask what prop, venturi, line length, etc. ProZinger 11-4. Reworked? Not much, says Monty.

At the RF Stevenson Memorial Raider Roundup, Mike Haverly plonked down his newish Profile Stunt entry with a "For Sale" sign, saying that he was too busy flying Classic and Advanced, to fly Profile. He walked away, I put it in the back of my truck. Later wrote him a check. XLS .36 powered, this time included with the deal. But the CF prop he used wasn't. We took it up to Arlington a few weeks later, and the prop question came up. Well, it went too fast with the 10.5 x 4.5 APC, he said. But maybe the 11 x 4.5 Cyclone prop would work? On went the Cyclone, and it was wonderful! Launched at 10.2k, got a 5.1 sec. laptime, and gave these old reflexes a chance. This is also Mike's prop of choice for his Brodak .40 powered JD Falcon, OBTW.

So, there you have three different, affordable props to try that are known to work well on the Magnum (or ASP) .36's.  One thing to watch for on the Magnum's is fuel economy. If fuel econ. suddenly goes very high, and the engine constantly just runs away, put in some good bearings, not OEM stuff. Call Boca Bearing.  D>K Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here