News:

• May 27, 2024, 07:37:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnum 36  (Read 1117 times)

Offline tryhard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Magnum 36
« on: February 03, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
I have seen reference here, on several occasions to the Magnum 36 - square headed version.  I have a unused one as well as a SC(Super Custom)36 clone. Can anyone advise what, if any changes, apart from the carb, are required for stunt use and what sort of run it gives.  Any advise on props and fuel would be welcome.
Thanks,
Mike.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Magnum 36
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »
My older one has an estimated 15 gallons of Powermaster 10-22 through it. That's 22% oil, half castor. The venturi is .272" bore and the spraybar is a Randy Aero unit (.156" dia.). Otherwise box stock, with a Thunderbolt Long R/C glowplug. The best prop I've found for it is the 11 x 4.5 Thunder Tiger Cyclone, launching at around 9,700 rpm.

Because the model is tailheavy, I'm running an OS .46LA muffler, but I have a new one in an Olympic with a Randy Aero CNC Tube muffler. Both run muffler pressure, and both run very nicely, although the new one has maybe 6 runs at most. They take some time to loosen up and reduce fuel consumption to a steady state. The old one uses a nominal 4 oz. Hayes clunk tank...can't say if that tank holds 3.5 oz or 4.5 oz, but it holds just a little too much fuel to get in under 8 minutes. Works pretty well.

That old engine has great compression, and there have been some long streaks of one-flip starts, including one without benefit of the battery! My drill is three flips with the muffler outlet blocked, three chokes with thumb solidly over the venturi, then about a half dozen fast flips to spread the fuel through the engine. This is on a F.Twister, so side mounted.  It will sound pretty wet...listen for that. Hook up the glowplug and pull it through. Should bump. Signal the judges. If it doesn't bump, choke it a couple more times (battery off) with the thumb not quite sealing off the venturi. Feel for bump. Signal...hit the prop, fly.

FWIW, I start out with 10-29 (all castor) (if I have it) for any new engine, but when the flying phase starts, I start getting pressured into using the 10-22. Haven't tried 5% nitro, because we're lucky to get the local hobby shop to stock 10-22. Since Powermaster's demise and rebirth, they don't carry it, but I'm hoping to change that by just walking in and ordering a couple of cases.    S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline tryhard

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
My older one has an estimated 15 gallons of Powermaster 10-22 through it. That's 22% oil, half castor. The venturi is .272" bore and the spraybar is a Randy Aero unit (.156" dia.). Otherwise box stock, with a Thunderbolt Long R/C glowplug. The best prop I've found for it is the 11 x 4.5 Thunder Tiger Cyclone, launching at around 9,700 rpm.

Because the model is tailheavy, I'm running an OS .46LA muffler, but I have a new one in an Olympic with a Randy Aero CNC Tube muffler. Both run muffler pressure, and both run very nicely, although the new one has maybe 6 runs at most. They take some time to loosen up and reduce fuel consumption to a steady state. The old one uses a nominal 4 oz. Hayes clunk tank...can't say if that tank holds 3.5 oz or 4.5 oz, but it holds just a little too much fuel to get in under 8 minutes. Works pretty well.

That old engine has great compression, and there have been some long streaks of one-flip starts, including one without benefit of the battery! My drill is three flips with the muffler outlet blocked, three chokes with thumb solidly over the venturi, then about a half dozen fast flips to spread the fuel through the engine. This is on a F.Twister, so side mounted.  It will sound pretty wet...listen for that. Hook up the glowplug and pull it through. Should bump. Signal the judges. If it doesn't bump, choke it a couple more times (battery off) with the thumb not quite sealing off the venturi. Feel for bump. Signal...hit the prop, fly.

FWIW, I start out with 10-29 (all castor) (if I have it) for any new engine, but when the flying phase starts, I start getting pressured into using the 10-22. Haven't tried 5% nitro, because we're lucky to get the local hobby shop to stock 10-22. Since Powermaster's demise and rebirth, they don't carry it, but I'm hoping to change that by just walking in and ordering a couple of cases.    S?P Steve

Thanks Steve sounds like a good motor. What sort of a run does it do when set up like this? Constant 4 stroke, wet 2 or 4-2-4?
Mike
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:36:22 PM by Bill Little »

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »
.....The old one uses a nominal 4 oz. Hayes clunk tank...can't say if that tank holds 3.5 oz or 4.5 oz, but it holds just a little too much fuel to get in under 8 minutes. Works pretty well.....

Interesting.  Mine is getting about 5:15 on a 4 oz. Pylon clunk that holds 3.75 oz. using a venturi a little smaller than yours.  I bought a 5 oz. uniflow metal tank to replace it with.  TT 11x4.5.  Weirdly, the previous owner of this engine got thru the pattern on this same tank. 

Signed,
Ira Jinx
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »
   Not to hijack this thread but I have questions about the round head Magnum XL36A .
I have one with a stunt venturi and have only bench run it . I assume to run it with a low pitch prop
and in a high rpm two stroke type run . Anyone else have experience with this style motor ?
              Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »
   Not to hijack this thread but I have questions about the round head Magnum XL36A .
I have one with a stunt venturi and have only bench run it . I assume to run it with a low pitch prop
and in a high rpm two stroke type run . Anyone else have experience with this style motor ?
              Bill

Hi Bill,

If you can find it, we had a LONG discussion about that engine under one of my son, Aaron's, thread.  I'll see if I can find it here quickly.

Basically, we had fits with it.  it is NOT timed (at least not ours!) like the square head one.  It ran decent, but charged at times and did funny other stuff.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »
Thanks Steve sounds like a good motor. What sort of a run does it do when set up like this? Constant 4 stroke, wet 2 or 4-2-4?
Mike

A wet 2, sometimes a just  strong 4.  Depended on how we treated it.  NEVER a 4-2! LOL!!

PTG, Phil Granderson really brought this engine to light with posts here and the other forums.  Maybe he will stop by and give us the scoop.  He has listed his set up here.

I put the square head Magnum just behind the Aero Tiger .36 as far as .35-.36 size engines go.  We have always run ours a touch harder than Steve reports.  Closer to 10,000 and only 4 pitch props.  Aaron won Intermediate Classic at Brodaks with his Ares and the square head Magnum. 

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:16:05 AM »
Definitely a wet 2. Launch rpm is about 500 down from peaked, and sometimes less, if it's pushing 100F. You might try the 10.5-4.5 APC, 11-4 APC, or 11.5-4 APC (don't think it'd pull that), but keep in mind that 500 rpm below peak launch rpm. If it won't fly fast enough, go to a smaller prop. I tried 11-4 MAS Scimitar 2, and TF Power Point 11-4, and they both worked to some extent, but not anywhere close to the Cyclone 11-4.5. That's just an excellent prop, and suits a lot of engines very well. It looks like Thundertiger4U has gone away, so buy them from Randy Aero!

We have one guy (Jeff Rein)  locally who's used a round head Magnum .36 for stunt, in a SmoothARF. I think he started with an 11-4 APC and had problems. The 10.5 x 4.5 APC made it pretty happy for him, and got him into Advanced. If I remember right, Jeff won Open Combat at the 2010 NATS and many years ago was the guy that won Navy Carrier with the first ever leadout slider equipped model.  I'm just sayin', stunt's not his main thang, but he is one talented cookie...  %^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »
Hi Steve,

The best prop we found on Aaron's Ares was a Bolly 3 blade 10 1/2X6 repitched to 4 and trimmed slightly.  Flew the Ares with authority at 5.3 -5.4 laps on 62' e to e ..015s.  It originally had a Aero OS 32F, flew nicely, too. The Magnum took the laps up 3-4 tenths slower and noticeably stronger allover the hemisphere. The Ares was a touchy on 52 laps lines, soft in places,needed mo power flying with th eOS .2F!  Ready to fly with the OS .32 F is was 34 oz.  Magnum wentr to .36 oz,
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here