News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnum 15 BB  (Read 1264 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Magnum 15 BB
« on: April 07, 2006, 07:07:43 PM »
I've been breaking in one of these on a combat plane.  It is a little hummer.  The sleeve is ported a bit high(148 deg exhaust), but the shaft timing is very much in line with stunt numbers(190 deg duration, close at 45 ATDC).  It's starting to come in now and runs nice and smooth.  With an open exhaust and intake it turns a 6.5/3.7 APC around 23,000 rpm and pulls the plane similar to an old Black Head Profi with no muffler.

We'll try it some more for combat.  I'd like to see how it does on 60 ft lines for speed limit.  Then we'll try it on some larger props like a 7/3 or so.  Final stage will be to open the shaft timing up to close at 55 deg. and see if anything breaks.

If you're in the market for a nice 15 this looks to be a good one, like its bigger brother the 36.  For stunt/sport use you will have to come up with a suction venturi and a needle valve assembly. 
phil Cartier

Offline Chris Brainard

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
Re: Magnum 15 BB
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 12:08:42 PM »
It's been a few years since I've flown it, but I've got one on a .15 size scratch-built profile using a home made venturi. Real steady runs with an APC 8 x 4 prop. The ball bearings are a nice touch. Needs a hot plug. True ABC construction. Decent weight. Too bad .15 size airplanes aren't real popular. This is a nice engine.
Chris Brainard

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 12:45:35 PM »
The last year or so, Currell Pattie had a set of "20" size Nobler plans (along with some other like sized planes from the Orient.)  it is different from the Jr. Nobler and looks much more like a '57 GB IMHO.

Maybe would be a nice candidate for the TT 15.

The Original Veco Tomahawk also comes to mind.  A pretty underrated profile that flys much much better than expected.  There are some differences in it and the Bordak kit since I have acquired a set of "plans" for the Veco and compared them.

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 10:56:52 PM »
In NZ we run the SC/ASP/Magnum 15s on F2D models for 70MPH Slow Combat. They are foolproof. We bought a batch of 18 last year with AP15 venturis and NVAs fitted and have another 31 on order for the club. We'll make our own delrin venturis this time as the factory are out of AP venturis. Hobby People have them in stock in the USA.

I have one ASP15 to go into a 1/2A proto speed model to see how fast it will go before breaking. In an F2D model a stock one will do 28/10 on a Taipan 7x4.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here