News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:08:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Longer ST needles?  (Read 905 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Longer ST needles?
« on: October 02, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »
Hello,

The ST needle on the engines I have that are mounted in my planes with cowels isn't long enough to extend beyond the cowling for adjustment.  Makes it difficult to try and set the mixture especially when the engine is running.  I have to use needle nose pliers.  It's a bit dangerous.

Perhaps this question has been addressed here before but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

Does anyone (Randy Smith) offer a longer ST needle?  Maybe there's a good way to extend the needle?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Longer ST needles?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »
Eric at RSM has them www.rsmdistribution.com  go to engines then accesories  2.99 ea.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 04:45:44 PM »
Just cut the 'L' off and solder a piece of brass tubing over the needle, bend it in an L or solder a small gear to it for adjustment. Have extended several this way.. works great.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »
Harry Higley "Long and Strong" ST needles.  Don't know who stocks them these days.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 08:29:16 PM »
You might find the Higley Long ST NV at the LHS. Tower used to carry them, but no longer do. They do carry a lot of Higley products, as does your LHS.

I read that the Higley NV fits genuine ST Spraybars, but not the Clones, which come from RSM. It would be worth an email to be sure which works with what. The ST and Clone collet nuts are distinctly different, so it's easy to tell which is which. Eric Rule will fix you right up.   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 06:23:17 AM »
Steve I have been cutting them as Bob does for 30 years. I cut them off just beyond the threads and add tubbing to get the length and then put the cut off end on the open end of the tubbing. I have had none fail or vibrate.
Ed Ruane
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 08:03:01 AM »
Harry Higley "Long and Strong" ST needles.  Don't know who stocks them these days.

https://www.quicktechhobby.com/Airplane_Accessories/harry_b%20higley.htm  (about ½-way down)

P/N HIGNVL001  - - $2.49 for 2 needles
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here