News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:41:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leo Control Line Engine  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Leo Control Line Engine
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:20:18 PM »
Hi guys,

Has anyone heard of the Leo Control Line Engine??? It looks like an OS46SF, the Leo is a ABC Engine, side exhaust, weighs the same as the OS46SF. The engine has a real nice run, I just test run her on the test bench and she sounds great. A nice 2-4-2 run, I've just never heard of this engine.  The Engine was or is made in Taiwan and was offered thru just engines. Would appreciate any input, Gary
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:02:13 PM by Gary Anderson »
Gary Anderson

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Leo Control Line Engine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:28:27 PM »
I've got a .25 Leo; very strong engine!. Believe they were made by Leo Garofali (a brother) for a while in the '90s and early 2000's, and I believe they are no longer available.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:13:51 PM »
I've got a .25 Leo; very strong engine!. Believe they were made by Leo Garofali (a brother) for a while in the '90s and early 2000's, and I believe they are no longer available.

Not unless Leo stopped being Italian to become Taiwanese. These engines have been marketed under several names in the US, Most fameously as the Royal engines of years ago.
All were clones of then current production OS engines. The owner is the nephew of the owner of Thunder Tigre. So if you need a part for that OS engine that Great Pain or OS just left you at the alter with,Then you might be able to recusitate it with a genuine Leo part.
Dennis

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:18:39 PM »
Not unless Leo stopped being Italian to become Taiwanese. These engines have been marketed under several names in the US, Most fameously as the Royal engines of years ago.
All were clones of then current production OS engines. The owner is the nephew of the owner of Thunder Tigre. So if you need a part for that OS engine that Great Pain or OS just left you at the alter with,Then you might be able to recusitate it with a genuine Leo part.
Dennis

It was also marketed as the "Brat", too, I think. Pretty crude but I have seen some that ran just fine.

Brett

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »
Hi Bret,

The Leo Engine could pass for a newer version of the OS 46 SF. I ran the engine again today and after running the Leo I installed my OS 46 SF on the test stand. I had forgotten that the OS likes to run on five or less nitro. The Leo is a little milder than my OS but man what a nice run on the low nitro. I couldn't help myself I installed the OS on a plane I build sometime ago for a OS 46 LA. The OS 46 LA is a great engine but she doesn't have the power the SF has. I'm using a three blade 12/6 for prop and I can't wait to go play. (Running low rpm's, 7600) Maybe I can sneak out in the morning and burn some circles. Wish you guys was close enough that I could come watch the real deal, maybe one of these days I'll sneak up on ya. The last time I spoke with Gid he told me he travels bye your field and sneaks a peek. I've tried to get him to come play, no luck. He's a great person and flier. I used to be able to get him to fly some of my junk but that's been a long time now. He told me his lazer is hanging in the garage and going to pieces, what a shame, I guess it happens to the best. Just having fun, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:26 PM »
Hi Gary,

I have two LEO .37s (actually .34s!) that I got from Joe Just, IIRC.  They were sold out of England, so I don't know the background.  Scott Riese fitted them and they are really a strong, 4-2 engine with PLENTY of power for their size and a fantastic 4-2.  I am running one on a Mathis Stuka profile and it is superb.  Break comes in at exactly the right time.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »
Hi guys,

When I purchased my OS 46 Sf it was suppose to be the cats meow. I'm not sure but it was suppose to be different than the R/C version. I noticed on the Leo that someone has moved the timing on the liner. When I run the Leo she just purrs, like Bill says, great 4-2-4 run. My OS purrs also but she can get mean with a lot of power. I guess what I'm asking, is there modes that can be done to the OS 46 SF and is it worth the money to have the modes done??? My OS 46 SF has alway been stronger than my great Super Tigre 60. My ST 60 has always been an C/L engine. I purchased her many years ago, when tower offer the last run of the famous ST 60. The ST 60 I have has a concaved head and I wouldn't trade her, (stock with stock muffler) When Mr. Bowman was doing engine I had him check her out for me and install his famous ring. My ST 60 lives in my Stiletto and that is a great combo. I have always liked my OS 46 SF but when I came back and started playing with my toys. Everyone I knew was using 10/22 fuel and the OS threw a fit, she didn't seem to like the fuel. Well, I remembered that when I played before I never using any fuel over 5%, so the other day my son reminded me about the 5% fuel. I tried it on the Leo and my OS 46 SF and man like Mr. Randy Powell says, what a ride. So I'm hoping I'll get to play with my OS again. If anyone has any input about the OS 46 SF engine I would appreciate it. Thank you Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline Gary Anderson

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:32 PM »
Hi guys,
I found the instruction for the OS 46 SF S engine. I purchased this engine from tower on 11/25/88, the total price was $99.99 with shipping. I guess for the times the engine wasn't cheap, you could buy an OS 40 FP S Engine for $60.00. Here another good one, I purchased two ST 60K C/L Stunt Engine on the 2/17/88, the total price for both with shipping was $185.44. I believe I've got my monies worth out of all these toys. (Wait a minute, I'm still using them, ha ha) This is a great hobby when you still have your toys from yesteryear and they still work. I sure would like to have one of those hot dog engines, oh well, I guess I'll just have to stick with my old toys. And yes I still have some of my yesteryear planes. If you fly your junk as long as I have I guess the hobby would be considered cheap????? How much do you deduct per flight????? My wife tells me I spend to much on my toys?????? I guess that would be a different subject????? Just having fun, Gary
Gary Anderson

Offline dssit

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 04:11:59 PM »
I have 2 leo 15 engines boy they are very close to  my nova rossi. a lot of parts interchange. they are well made and side by side look like brothers. also they are sweet runners and 1/3 the price of  a nova rossi.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here