News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:25:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA .40 venturi ?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
LA .40 venturi ?
« on: October 26, 2006, 01:10:51 PM »
I will be using a new OS .40LA on my new Full body Oriental.
Having read several threads stating the .40 is not as user friendly as the .46LA (which I have  one running just fine in my profile Oriental), I have decided to follow Pat Johnstons Venturi Chart from Stunt News Jan/Feb 2000. It leads me to take out the .280 venturi and use a .256. I plan to use the stock OS spray bar and remote needle.
Any coments or suggestions pro or con to my thinking.
To date most guys have played with prop mfg's and prop sizes to make a better running OS .40LA. That I will take into concideration also.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: LA .40 venturi ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:21:04 PM »
I have a LA 40 (R/c converted, I like the natural case better) with the 40 FP nva and venturi ( no remote ) using an 11-4 T/F on my Uproar it is very user friendly and fly's the 50oz plane just fine. I think its the 280 venturi but I wouldn't swear to it. Don't really care it works.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »
What led me to want to make the change in venturi was the venturi in my .46LA is .280 and same in .40LA. I'm just confused how two engines of diffrent sizes can use the same size venturi. Perhaps the size diffrence between the .40 and .46 is not significant enough to concider it. I was thinking that way when Mike Pratt had to replace the venturi in his OS.25LA (stock.265) when he could not get a good run on his first Primary Force while flying at 5000 ft in Colorado. He changed it to .250 and decided not to use the .25 LA as a fishing sinker after much experimenting with fuels and props.
I followed suit with my OS.25LA in the Barnstormer and things ran signiffinitly better.
I'm not an engine guru, just seeking advice and a possible explanation about venturi size.
Great that Leesters engine ran good with FP front N/V.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Tom Dugan

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 12:33:54 PM »
Jerry,

Could there be a difference in the diameter between the 2 spraybars (remote vs non remote).  The one Leester is using  (non remote) is thicker than the remote spraybar.  Because it takes up more space in the venturi it is like using a smaller bore venturi.  I have never measured either bar.   I know that OS makes the same venturi for the FP35 and FP 40.  If Im not mistaken, these same venturis also work in the LA series.   

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 10:45:34 AM »
Ty, Thanks, I believe thats what Mike Pratt found out with the OS.25LA as he was also flying at 5000'.  It worked for me. Altitude must be in the equation.
I'll try the .40LA stock and change to a smaller venturi if needed. I do have a ST needle valve assy and also the smaller venturi. Changing venturis is easier. I used a ST N/V with my LA.46 (.280 venturi) just to avoid using the remote N/V.
Metal backplate in place on both engines now.
Also have a good selection of Zingers and APC's to try.
Jerry
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 12:51:27 PM by Jerry Bohn »
Jerry Bohn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:44:41 AM »
What led me to want to make the change in venturi was the venturi in my .46LA is .280 and same in .40LA. I'm just confused how two engines of diffrent sizes can use the same size venturi. Perhaps the size diffrence between the .40 and .46 is not significant enough to concider it.
(snip)
I'm not an engine guru, just seeking advice and a possible explanation about venturi size.
Great that Leesters engine ran good with FP front N/V.

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to OS's world of "one size fits all"!  They mainly build R/C engines, and us C/L flyers are notorious for mking our own venturis, etc., so they really don't do much as far as correctly sizing venturis for their engines.  In the FP line there have been numerous different venturis for the 35/40 over the years.

So...... the same venturi will not always work for different size engines if you are looking for a certain type of engine run.  In fact, the same size will not even always work in the SAME engine sometimes for a desired engine run!  Factor in your individual location characteristics, and you are probably going to need a custom venturi or at least a size change.  Pretty common thing for us *crazy* C/L Stunt guys!  **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 01:04:58 PM »
Bill, Your comments make sense.
I ran the new .40 LA with the .265 venturi from my OS .25LA that I replace and installed a .255. Prop was Zinger 10x4.
It ran great on the bench. Got in four 6oz. tankfuls. Ran in a wet 2 cycle and after the 4th tank it would drop out of a full out 2 cycle run after 20 seconds back down to a wet 2 cycle instantantly.
Sound like its ready to go but I think I'll run 4 more tankfuls before trying in the Oriental. Engines always seem to run good on the test stand, but this baby needled really good even with the remote NV assy. Putting in the air will be the real test. Plan on starting with a Zinger 11x5 and go from there. Have local HS ordering a 10.5x 4.5 APC to try.
Fun with engines. Love it as long as it dosn't get too complicated.
Jerry
Jerry Bohn

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:20:54 PM »
I'd suggest carrying Bruline air filters (one coarse, one fine) along. If you think the venturi is .010" too big, put on the black (coarse). If you think it's .020" too big, put on the greenie. They help starting, too. Put a few drops of fuel on the filter element and you got fumes going into the engine.  Remember that your engine will run richer each flight as it breaks in, so you'll have to keep chasing the setting. Don't blame the engine, is what I'm saying. It's less noticeable with Fox .35's, is all, because it happens quicker.  #^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 05:25:25 PM »
Hi Jerry,

There is something about the 10 1/2-4 1/2 APC prop.  Usually I just suggest a starting point with props, but that prop is the closest thing I have seen to *MAGIC* in our area.  It has turned out to be the best prop for several of the schneurle engines in the .36-.40 size.  I just put one on a Leo 37 last time I flew and it worked great.  Also works on the Magnum .36 as a low cost substitute for a CF prop.  Have one on a Byron Barker TT 36 and it's great.  A good starting point I would say.

Bill <><

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 08:40:30 PM »
10/4 Men, thanks for the tips.
Just thought of it, I could put the .40LA in my profile Cardinal ARF which now has a OS.40fp. Play with it till Oriental gets built.
Jerry Bohn

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here