News:

• May 06, 2024, 08:12:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B .61  (Read 1014 times)

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
K&B .61
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:03:03 AM »
Any info on a K&B.61? I was going through my engine stash this morning and found in the back of the drawer a NIB K&B.61 (looks like a giant veco 19). It had a letter with it saying something to the effect of "thank you for sending in the engine for blueprinting and PDP mod etc. and it has a hand engraved number on the case below the left mounting lug(B1376529). It has a single ring on Piston and case is BB at front. It has perry carb on it now , wonder if it would work for stunt job and what Rpm it might be happy at. I like to load engines with slighty larger props and run lower RPMs. The bottom of the letter has been lost so I can't make out the signature at bottom, I seem to recall a Mr. Lee doing engine mods years ago to K&B products.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: K&B .61
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:02:17 AM »
Gordon, think your memory is correct, sounds like Mr. Lee mods to me too. :)! Ron.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »
Gordon,

I think I remember that Clarence Lee designed the Veco/K&B 61.  AFAIK, his mods to the 61 (PDP, blueprinting, etc.) were intended to make it run faster.  Clarence still does his magic on some of the K&B engines.

Model Engine Co. of America now sells the K&B engines---they list a K&B 61 control line engine at just over $100.

There has been a little discussion of the K&B 61 for CLPA use on this forum.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:44:46 AM »
Hi Gorden, I use a K&B 61 stock out of the box on a score airplane and it does great. In this forum, search, type in K&B engine and there should be several articles about this great engine. Mine likes to run around 9000 rpm's using a apc 13/6 prop. Runs a nice 4-2-4 cycle and sounds great. I use 10/22 GMA fuel, don't believe you need this much oil but the engine seems to like it. Have fun with your K&B, I know you'll love her, Gary
Gary Anderson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here