News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:03:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B 40's  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
K&B 40's
« on: August 02, 2023, 08:55:36 AM »
I damaged my Sig Skyray at The Nats, but was able to patch it back together.  It flew OK but I lost the setup on my K&B 40.  It got to where the high was OK but it wouldn't respond to the throttle fast enough.  When I got slowed-down it wouldn't come back up fast enough to not hit the ground.

I did an engine showdown with the idea of a swap.  I looked at several other K&B's, an Irvine, a G21/40, and some OS LA's & FP's. 
The Irvine is way to big & heavy to fit the plane.  The OS's are reliable performers, but I doubt that they would come close to the 75 MPH maximum, which is effectively also the minimum. 

It noticed that the K&B's, which go by the same name have two very different front ends.  One style clearly has a much bigger front bearing.

While digging though boxes I unearthed an Irvine carburator owners' manual.  I works by turn-counting.  Maybe the original engine can be made well by applying this wisdom.
Paul Smith

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: K&B 40's
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 01:16:49 PM »
Paul,

The earlier Series 75 8011 K&B .40 has the "small" front end. It uses a roll pin and a setscrew to attach the drive hub to the crank. That worked ok if not abused. (I abused several....)

The later 4011 K&B .40 has a larger front bearing and a one-piece crank setup. No roll pin or setscrew involved. I think all of the rest of the parts are interchangeable--we certainly have done so on the Quickie Rat engines.

I suspect that the idea behind the 8011 multi-piece crank setup was to make replacing dorked cranks less expensive. If the main part of the crank is still straight, you can just replace the threaded stud and aluminum hub. In practice....? There's a reason they switched to what is a standard construction for every other engine manufacturer....

There have been other variants in the series, such as the 4045, which is based off of the 4011. Their numbering system generally makes sense.

Sounds like your carb situation is most (all?) of the problem.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 01:44:45 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 01:30:09 PM »
K&B has allot of crankcase volume. If you let it get loaded up it's gonna take some time to get cleared out and go. Might help to put a JB weld ramp in the front of the crankshaft hole if you don't care about ultimate top end. Probably better to just get your idle mixture leaned out.

MM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 03:02:01 PM »
Paul,

The earlier Series 75 8011 K&B .40 has the "small" front end. It uses a roll pin and a setscrew to attach the drive hub to the crank. That worked ok if not abused. (I abused several....)

The later 4011 K&B .40 has a larger front bearing and a one-piece crank setup. No roll pin or setscrew involved. I think all of the rest of the parts are interchangeable--we certainly have done so on the Quickie Rat engines.

I suspect that the idea behind the 8011 multi-piece crank setup was to make replacing dorked cranks less expensive. If the main part of the crank is still straight, you can just replace the threaded stud and aluminum hub. In practice....? There's a reason they switched to what is a standard construction for every other engine manufacturer....

There have been other variants in the series, such as the 4045, which is based off of the 4011. Their numbering system generally makes sense.

Sounds like your carb situation is most (all?) of the problem.

Dave

I hope that's the case.  The Irvine carb manual recommended a MUCH richer initial low needle setting than what I had.  I'll give that a go before swapping engines.
Paul Smith

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 03:08:44 PM »
 I don't fly carrier and don't know what rules you are following, but I remember when they first started flying Skyray Carrier at the SIG contest a lot of guys were using FP-.35s and not having any trouble getting to the 75mph max , as I recall it. I was talking with one of the entrants and I think they allowed up to a .40, but the rationalization for the .35 plain bearing was so that it could be flown in regular profile carrier and I think even Class1?? It's been along time since then and I may not be remembering everything. I remember talking with Mike Willmann at Buder Park back then and I think that is the route that he took.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 09:33:22 PM »
Paul,are you sure it is the engine.  I have had several engines that worked great on the bench but not work on the plane.  I was using three line Roberts/Brodak.  Seems it needed a littlecleaning up the bell crank system and the handle.  The sharp edges were working against each other. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 11:12:51 PM »

The Jetts all, as far as I know, have the same arrangement with a prop stud that screws into the crankshaft. We have had the opportunity to do a few tests of the theory, and it works very well.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 11:15:57 PM »

If its ABC its the 4055 r.c. or stunt ( no differances inside ) The big front ends got the same sizes as the SRII 20+000 rpm engines , and a real con rod . So shouldabe the fastest of the Torpedods ,
wotwere SPEED & Rat Race top line engines , in the 1960s .

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=13862&pth=brwsplns

" Someone once said: it's what's up front that counts, and as far as the K&B .40 is concerned it has more power, right out of the box, than anyone has ever seen in this type of engine before. "

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 11:33:23 PM »
As the Bypass got bigger n bigger , the top blew off , more & more . https://www.adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/main.php?cat_id=357

So what transpired was the later casses saw that wouldnt happen by being beefier n heavier , like what the big brg front end one is . It should be happy at 22.000 rpm & 60 % Nitro , if your keen .

This is a Dykes ringed version . H P 40 maybe superceeded them , for R C Pylon . the SCHNEURLE era began . Then . Lotta pieces interchange . But thats the gutsiest 40 loop scavenged front end .
AND the Beefiest Case . and Rod . and Bearings . MATE .

Wind it UP . Please .

The basic reason for the Dykes ring was to reduce ring flutter at higher RPMS over 15,000 RPMs or therabouts. Also the Dykes ring tended to make the engine feel like it didn't have much compression as the ring worked by having combustion chamber gasses pressing it out against the cylinder wall. The K&B .40 was sort of at the pinnacle of engine develpment for crossflow scavenged piston engines (baffle on piston) in that era. Later Clarence Lee developed the PerryDirectional Porting (PDP) for these types of engines, and that sort of made the engines a hybrid of being crossflow scavenged and Schnuerle ported at the same time. The PDP ported engines tend to run almost as good as a Schuerle ported engine, with not much difference in performance.

Aint not eardoff this p.d.p. wiffem before . id think it is a Clarance Trip , as he was a Big K&B man , with the .60s too . Maybe did a Stunt K&B / Veco ! .60 .

#!&%+ http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/K&B%2040%20ABC.html  p.d.p. a.b.c. !!!

not unrelated to this - Like in the Front end & rod . so , as they say ,  ' Has potential ' . http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/K&B%206.5%20RE.html   still remains to be unleashed as far as  I know .

Ask Bill . https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/WisniewskiBill.pdf

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 12:04:43 AM »
Brett,

While the overall concept of a replaceable stud might be the same, it sounds like the Jett has a more robust detailed design. The Kay Und Beast 8011 forward shaft is held on by a tiny roll pin and one setscrew thru the drive hub as shown in the picture. For ease of assembly, the hub is a slip fit to the shaft, not a press, so that adds instability to the joint as well. There are several ways that this scheme can come apart on you. The first is trying to use a spinner nut with the stud and the stud makes contact with the pin before the nut bottoms on the prop...and you're D-U-N done. The next is when the engine has been run hard and the setscrew (hardened steel) chews its way into the crank. Then it's good for one more run--maybe--and yer prop departs.

To solve the first failure mode, get rid of the stud and use a hexbolt instead. Make sure the bolt is short enough with the props you are using to never make contact with the roll pin. Or, use some red LocTite on the stud to keep it from creeping into the drive hub as you keep swapping props around during testing. To somewhat mitigate the second issue, grind the end of the setscrew flat and grind a flat on the crank after you have drilled the hub/shaft for the roll pin. You have to ensure alignment, else you are using up some of the material strength just on poor assembly work.

Once I got past these issues, I have run the 8011's for years in Quicky Rat. There is one obscure advantage to the 8011: since the drive hub has a shoulder on it, you have to counterbore all your props out to the molded ID of the APC prop. (7.8x7's are de rigueur). You therefore eliminate any grief from unbalanced props that came from the factory with the hole not centered. Silver lining!

Dave

PS--Air Miniseries showed the picture and plans for a Grmzpf, but he also had a Sprntr and maybe even a Grzula---all designs by one of our former club members here in the SoCal--Don Burke.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 12:31:58 AM by Dave Hull »

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 06:56:23 AM »
Do those planes use a muffler?  If not then an exhaust baffle will help with idle and transition.  The early r/c versions had one built in.  I might have one or two around. TS

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 09:15:56 AM »
Brett,

While the overall concept of a replaceable stud might be the same, it sounds like the Jett has a more robust detailed design. The Kay Und Beast 8011 forward shaft is held on by a tiny roll pin and one setscrew thru the drive hub as shown in the picture. For ease of assembly, the hub is a slip fit to the shaft, not a press, so that adds instability to the joint as well. There are several ways that this scheme can come apart on you. The first is trying to use a spinner nut with the stud and the stud makes contact with the pin before the nut bottoms on the prop...and you're D-U-N done. The next is when the engine has been run hard and the setscrew (hardened steel) chews its way into the crank. Then it's good for one more run--maybe--and yer prop departs.

Agreed, that is less-than optimal!  Dub knew enough not to put set screws into the side of the shaft. I am not sure why so many manufacturers took excessively "creative" ways to drive the prop, McCoy was using a taper arrangement in 1947, at least for the engines intended only for airplanes. Those intended for tethers cars had it set up proper for that, and a big mess for props that was clearly an afterthought.

I will take one apart later but the Jetts are completely conventional, using a split-taper wedge arrangement (at a steeper angle than the ST and similar, so it is not so prone to jamming) and no threaded section. It's just drilled and tapped for a long 1/4-28 set screw, so you can whack it into the pavement at full speed and it doesn't hurt the crankshaft.

Brett

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 10:48:38 AM »
I don't fly carrier and don't know what rules you are following, but I remember when they first started flying Skyray Carrier at the SIG contest a lot of guys were using FP-.35s and not having any trouble getting to the 75mph max , as I recall it. I was talking with one of the entrants and I think they allowed up to a .40, but the rationalization for the .35 plain bearing was so that it could be flown in regular profile carrier and I think even Class1?? It's been along time since then and I may not be remembering everything. I remember talking with Mike Willmann at Buder Park back then and I think that is the route that he took.

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

It's easy enough to go 75 MPH with the leadouts forward, no out thrust,  and minimal tip weight.  But then you don't get a hanging low speed. 
If you have excess power you can afford set the leadouts at the TE, out thrust, and big tip weight, thereby getting a 75 high and 7.5 MPH low for a hi/low score of 175 points. 
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 08:39:09 PM »
The bench run went PERFECT.
With the Irvine carb set to factory default values it did exactly as forecast.

First flip hand start.
Running rich at 14,000 RPM.
Leaned out to 16,000 PRM (9-6 Master & 10% nitro)
Idled down to 4,000 RPM.
From low to high and back down smoothly.
Engine could not be stopped by a throttle jockeying.

Tomorrow is the air test.
Paul Smith

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2023, 04:56:56 AM »
Thing from a Veco 61 , for the record .

couldnt find 61 in search , thought now or never .

Stickers , for the record . Or Reproduction ) ( its on RC Groups classifieds . )

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2023, 06:11:46 PM »
I am familiar with the prop stud design of the #8011 and earlier K&B Series '61 etc., and I had at least one #4055 long ago. I am fairly sure that the #4055 also had a replaceable prop stud. I got some extra long replacements studs from K&B/MECOA to use on a RO-Jett to experiment with stacking props. I'm not sure why MECOA had them. Maybe so one could screw a spinner tip directly onto the prop stud? Otherwise, no idea.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2023, 07:35:51 PM »
Steve,

To my knowledge, all of the K&B .40s of the series had a 1/4-28 prop stud. Only the 8011 had the pinned-together crank/drive hub configuration with the stud threaded to the hub and not the crank. I would have been more accurate in my previous post to have called them all two-piece cranks except for the 8011 which is three-piece...not counting the roll pin and setscrew. I vaguely recall a crank that had a tension band around the crank disk, as well. Not completely positive it was on the K&B.

Dave

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2023, 04:45:22 PM »
It was just silly. The cranks of the Series '61 and possibly the 8011 had a ring around the crank disc, the crank pin was pressed in, the propdriver was held on with the setscrew, and the prop stud screwed into the propdriver. I've lost count of how many parts that totals up to, but it was dumb and caused me personally a lot of engine failures.

The crank would snap off at the rear side of the front bearing, a shaft run would ensue, the crankpin would work its way out, eating the backplate, which trashed the piston/cylinder fit, ate the glowplug, and in one case, blew the post out of the middle of the exhaust port in the cylinder. But K&B was very good about free repairs. Still a PITA.

Other than that, the engine would put out a lot of power, such as 105 mph on a Big Iron based combat model, 9-8 tornado nylon and K&B 100 fuel (10% nitro?). I never really got one through the break-in stage before the crank broke and barfed the rest of the engine. Leading me to changing to the unbreakable Super Tigre .35C, which would run 116 with a full 9-8 Tornado nylon on 50% Fox Blast sans streamer. The ST did NOT like crankcase pressure, but ran great with a Binky pacifier.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here