Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B 40  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
K&B 40
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:09:53 PM »
I won a K&B 40 at the club raffle last night.  I never drooled over the larger engines in my youth, so I don't know how many different versions (if any) K&B made of this.  From the outside it appears to be a 1970s-ish design, side exhaust, probably with loop scavenging (I can see the bump in the crankcase opposite the exhaust, but no bumps fore and aft for Schnuerl ports).

So -- have I given you enough info to identify this engine, and if I should find a venturi for it sitting on my lathe one day, would it make a good engine for stunt?  Someone commented that they used to use one for racing back in the day, which makes me think that it may not make a good candidate.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: K&B 40
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Hi Tim,
There were a lot of different K&B 40 engines so let's quickly eliminate some. The rear rotor RC pylon racing engines were screamers so eliminate them.  Hopefully, what you have is is the 70's era RC sport engine. However, we are not done identifying yet. There was a series 69 engine that had a wedge shape combustion chamber and mild timing that gave a good stunt run for one gentleman I met. I bought a used series 70 engine. This engine had a hemi head combustion chamber. This head was identified with a small "P" stamped on the front side of the head. This engine had mild timing and gave a a good stunt run with only the addition of a venturi. It has a dykes ring, it is cross scavenged and it has the small front end. Our groups K&B's were the 1st low pitch higher rpm engine runs I remember. Props were Rev-Up 12x5's cut to 11 5/8" x 5 set at 10,000rpm +/-. The series 70 changed to squish band head, bigger bypass, different timing when it became a popular sport pylon engine. It was later named series 71 and even more changes were added. These can be made to work but the early series 70 worked, as is, for me.
I reccomend getting a ring from Mr. Bowman. Flying buddy, Stan Powell liked what he saw and spent a lot of time & money refining the breed, especially getting a good ring fit and Les McDonald won world and national championships using the the engine that resulted.                        Pat Robinson

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:07:41 PM »
Thanks Pat.  I looked, and it does indeed have a Dykes ring.  I took off the head for a look; it's got a hemi head, but no letters or numbers stamped on the head.  It looks like it has never been run -- I'm looking forward to using this engine.

I suppose "never been run" means I need to dig up a set of operating instructions, to find out what K&B thought about proper break in and fuel -- this will be my first ringed engine.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »
I've flown the 4011 engine a lot and really like them.  They are very powerful.  This is the one that takes a 1/2 in OD venturi, has a larger front ball bearing and no rollpin through the drive washer.  I ran APC 11 x 5 props.  My engines ran excellent upright and inverted, but I was not happy with them side mounted.  Side mounted a Tower 40 worked much better for me.  I flew a Humongous with an upright mounted example and an OD 720 square inch flying wing with one inverted. 

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »
This has a roll pin.  If I'm not mistaken it's got a plain bearing -- there doesn't seem to be enough room for ball bearings (I'll have to go look tomorrow).
AMA 64232

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:27:43 AM »
All K & B 40's have two ball bearings.  I have engines like you say, and it is a really small front bearing. It may also hae a smaller hole for the venturi.   All are Dykes ring except some later ABC versions, so far as I know.  The engine you have will run fine.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here