News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B .20 leaking head  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
K&B .20 leaking head
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:13:12 PM »
Kind of an odd duck engine here, at least 'round these parts. One of the last engines before K&B closed up shop. Some serious leakage going on.

I think this engine was designed so that a head gasket was not needed at the head & cylinder interface (in the past, it ran that way). Both surfaces look good: Cylinder top is smooth. A very narrow, ever so slightly raised mating ring on the head, about 1mm wide between the bolt holes and the squish band. With carefully tightened head bolts, it still leaks. Looks like aluminum mating surfaces. This engine took a serious dive into the dirt at its last run a couple of years ago.

What is to be done?  Could the head and cylinder be warped? I'm thinking of fashioning a head gasket out of aluminum can. Or, hyper fine sand paper on the surfaces. Taking it to a machine shop; well maybe, but there's so little meat on the head to machine off.

Any suggestions here?

Thanks...

Dave Mo
It’s a very strange world we live in, Master Jack.” (4 Jacks and a Jill)

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: K&B .20 leaking head
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
Lap it in?

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 04:24:48 PM »
Dave Mo,

Possible troubleshooting and repair sequence:

00. Determine which engine you are dealing with. I am guessing it is a K&B .20 Sportster. Know that the early engines had an o-ring for a head seal. Your comment that yours was one of the last produced implies that it does not.

0. Take off head and clean parts. Eliminate any FOD from the crash. Check screws, especially to see if they are bent from the crash. The head/cylinder bolts in a Sportster are long, and more critical than in the more usual engine designs. Roll them on the edge of a  ground steel or cast iron surface, or something you know is very flat. The underside of the heads should not wobble either. Check that the screws run free in the threaded holes. (The screw threads may have stretched in the crash. This would likely be on the case side of things. If the threaded hole in the case is "pulled up" that would be an indication.) If the screws hit the sides of the clearance holes in the head that is another sign of problems. Reinstall head and torque in a star pattern. Check in soapy water for compression leak at the head to confirm initial diagnosis. If you think it is leaking, be sure to leave in the plug and gasket you had in it so you are checking it at the same time. If the head is all chewed up by the plug, you may have a problem there.

1. inspect both the case and the head for flatness. Figure out if one or both are part of the problem. The top of the cylinder should be the sealing surface, so you should be able to wring it on a very flat surface (granite surface plate, ground cast iron tabletop, etc.) and look at the polish marks to see how flat it is. Same for the head.

1a. If it hit hard enough for the cylinder to be bent out of line, then it probably ovalled the mating interface which would pucker the normally flat surface. If the top surface of the cylinder has high spots on the right and the left of the engine, that is likely what happened. If the piston fit still seems reasonable, then you have nothing to lose by lapping the head interface and trying it out again.

1b. If the head bent, the cylinder probably did too.

2. I would be best to hand lap both surfaces back to a good fit. I don't have a Sportster to look at, but on other "gasketless" K und Beasts, they typically would cut a ribbed surface in the liner where it mated to the head. The head mating surface was machined flat. If the cylinder and head are both as I suspect, with the mating surfaces protruding, lay a piece of 400 grit silicon carbide paper on a very flat surface and using some light oil lap them both. Take off only enough to remove previous machine marks.

3. If you cannot get a seal by hand lapping, then the soda can aluminum gasket is a good idea. Recall that soda cans are made by back extrusion methods, so they have to be nearly pure aluminum, which is the softest grade you are going to get. Exactly what you want. The cans I have used were around .0043 thick. Don't make the gasket any wider than you have to. Reassemble and test again.

4. If that does not solve your head leak, then you might consider replacement parts, if the rest of the engine is still in good enough condition to merit this. MECOA still has heads and piston/cylinder sets. The head isn't that pricey, but the P/C cost may make the project impractical. But since the parts are available, you have a choice.

Good luck with your repairs in the land of trees and green forests,

Divot McSlow

PS--One last thought:  if the screws are not factory parts, and have been replaced, it is possible that one or more of them are slightly too long and bottoming out in the case. So you apply torque, but are not getting the preload that you would expect. I have seen things like this on other engines, so it is worth checking.

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »
Hello Again Good Divot:

I just opened your well-written response and thought that I'd add a couple more details before I get to work on the engine IAW your directions.

After the crash, I did a complete disassembly and found a small piece of the lower cylinder liner broken loose in the crank case. Also in trying to start the engine this AM, I got a little spurt of exhaust gas emanating from the side of the head! Very strange.

Good to know that parts are still available.

Thanks, and I'll give you an update as things progress or regress.

Dave Mo...

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 06:10:43 PM »
Hmmm,

Sounds like it hit pretty hard. Where was the cylinder chunk from? Is a picture possible?

Will the lower end seal up with the chunk missing?

Divot

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 08:03:38 PM »
Oh yes, I'm quite certain that it hit hard (don't ask how I know)!

In the lower end pic, you can see where the chunk broke off (a bit out of focus). I think it seals because the engine pulls fuel (albeit not briskly).

The other shot shows the upper end. The rise on the head before the squish band is very slight, so slight that it's hard to catch with a fingernail, but it's there. The cylinder head top is smooth, though it looks like there is a band.

Dave Mo...

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 08:36:58 PM »
Another bit of info. Three of the four screws pass the roll test. The other does a little shimmy shimmy on the flat terra cotta surface - possibly the one adjacent to the break on the low end. All four screws thread in and out and set into the head with no trouble.

Dave Mo...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 08:59:33 PM »
Oh yes, I'm quite certain that it hit hard (don't ask how I know)!

In the lower end pic, you can see where the chunk broke off (a bit out of focus). I think it seals because the engine pulls fuel (albeit not briskly).

The other shot shows the upper end. The rise on the head before the squish band is very slight, so slight that it's hard to catch with a fingernail, but it's there. The cylinder head top is smooth, though it looks like there is a band.

Dave Mo...

As far as the cylinder goes , there is at least one pretty good scratch right across the sealing surface, this is probably where is it leaking. The way it is made, it looks like it would be tough to take the entire surface down by lapping it. I have an idea, but it's so hacky I can't bring myself to say it in public...

Brett

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 09:50:30 PM »
Presumably, the engine did not sustain (serious) internal damage from the broken piece of the case floating around inside? Be sure to deburr the edge of the break to avoid damage to the piston skirt and having the sharp edge strip off the film of lubrication the piston needs.

The fretted area on the head is the sealing band. It is nice and narrow, and is inboard of the screws. You should be able to lap both parts and restore the seal. I agree that a scratch across the seal is a concern. Try lapping it first. If the scratch won't come out without removing a couple of thousandths, then what I would do is install the head with something like Loctite 5189. This is a CyA gasket material developed for use on car engines. It does not appear to be available thru retail outlets. So I'd just use medium Zap. Put a dab (way less than a drop) on the end of a pin and drag it along the scratch. Then immediately bolt the head on. And leave it to cure for a good while.

Before anyone gets too worried about CyA'ing your engine together, by doing it this way with the pin and only in the groove, you are just restoring the surface mate-up. Also note that the high temperature strength is practically nil. It will be trapped in the scratch and will not likely "blow out" which is the very definition of a gasket or sealant. And, remember that machinists glue down small and complex shaped parts to hold them in the mill all the time. A bit of heat and they pop right off. Less chance of distorting or damaging an odd shaped part using this method.

If you don't like that option, then go to a coarser grit silicon carbide paper and take off enough to clean up the scratch. Follow with the 400. Then install your soda can gasket. Shoot for getting back the original head clearance or greater. The soda can shimstock will be a bit over .004".  You can also get thinner material from an industrial supply store and possibly a local auto parts store or farm store. Smaller head clearance is not likely better for sport flying.

Good luck and let us know how you make out,

Divot McSlow

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:42:01 AM »
Thanks to all for the ideas. Before it met terra firma, I'd gotten this engine second hand. Except for the scratches, it appeared to be new old stock. I broke it in and it ran well.

Brett: I can't imagine you having a bad idea, but will accept your judgment to withhold!

Motorman:  I agree with your assessment that the manufacturer was stingy with the sealing band thickness.

Dave: Yep, I did deburr the break and have a good piston fit. No damage from the chunk floating in the crankcase.

The plan: Motorman and Dave's suggestion with ultra-fine sand paper and lube will be my first step (I've got paper down to 3,000 on hand). Then Dave's Zap trick (I've got the 30-minute cure stuff). Will probably polish the lower end surfaces a tad to see if fuel draw improves. If I end up with too much compression and/or leakage, then some aluminum can out there is in mortal danger.

Report to follow.

Dave Mo...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »
I agree that a scratch across the seal is a concern. Try lapping it first. If the scratch won't come out without removing a couple of thousandths, then what I would do is install the head with something like Loctite 5189. This is a CyA gasket material developed for use on car engines. It does not appear to be available thru retail outlets. So I'd just use medium Zap. Put a dab (way less than a drop) on the end of a pin and drag it along the scratch. Then immediately bolt the head on. And leave it to cure for a good while.

That's even more hacky than what I was thinking, but, it should work!  I don't think there is any way to remove the maybe .001-.002 required to remove the scratch across the entire surface (presumably with sandpaper on a surface plate, or a precision stone). My idea was to use JB-Weld like body filler, just in the scratch, let it cure,  then sand that flat on a surface plate. All you need is to fill the scratch, so you end up with a microscopic thread of glue in the scratch, and it looks the same otherwise. Then just bolt it back together. There's no way you are pushing .001" thick bit of glue out of the scratch with the head on it, even if it breaks down from heat. The same theory works with header sealant, you can apply it, screw down the header, and then go fly it immediately, and for the first few seconds, it's completely uncured. But it won't push out of the micro-scratches from the surface prep.

BTW, not to be negative, but the pictures of the head show it to be very, very dirty with plenty of particles that could cause the seal to fail in this (very poor) seal design.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »

Brett: I can't imagine you having a bad idea, but will accept your judgment to withhold!

I have a huge number of very bad ideas. Now you have evidence.

Brett

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 02:24:31 PM »
Breaking news:

I tried the flat surface sanding trick on both parts (didn't trust myself with lapping). Cleaned with acetone first and when finished. Used 1,000 grit silicone paper with WD-40, a light touch and figure eight. The results: Cylinder top - Nice even cut, the scratch is less distinct. Nothing unusual here.

Banded area on the head -  About half the band disappeared! Must not have been very much there at all.

Re-installed the head, and it continues to leak like a sieve. Rotated the head 180 and re-installed. Nice and "poppy" with just a tiny leak around one of the head screws. Much better!

Might call this good enough and just go with it. Thoughts amongst the brethren?

Dave Mo...

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 12:38:26 AM »
Mo,

I think we may have some terminology issues here. In my way of thinking, lapping does not have to be wringing two parts together with compound in between. It can be on a lapping plate (usually slotted cast iron) that you charge with compound, or it can be a piece of silicon carbide paper on a granite surface plate, or....   

The fact that turning the head around changes the leak means either one or both of the parts are not flat yet, or that the bolt-up process was not equally achieved. I suspect that flatness is still a problem. The fact that turning 180 helps suggests that the saddle shaped surfaces are not aligned purely laterally, which might have been suspected if the cylinder was bent back and the top ovalled.

If it still leaks AT ALL,  I would work on technique and keep lapping. Do you have a very flat surface to rub the parts on after using the paper to see where it is actually touching? For example, I have a granite surface plate but I can do the same thing on a cast iron tablesaw top. I can simply rub a part on it and look at the polish marks and see where it is touching and where it is not. That tells you pretty much how well your lapping technique is doing. You need to know this. It is easy to put in "rocker" with improper lapping techniques.

Remember that if you can get the two parts flat in the center, you can add a gasket to avoid an overly large contact area which might not stay flat at running temperatures.

Another thought: if the parts were bent in the crash, I might be tempted to heat cycle them in the oven 3 or 4 times up to say 350F for 5-10 minutes. This should help stabilize them. And then check them again for flatness.

Heard you might get more snow this week. Stay warm my friend,

Divot

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 08:30:28 AM »
HI
I have fixed a leak like your having with duct tape, since you have sanded the area flat, and its still leaking, clean it with acetone, and get a piece of duct sealing tape, this is metal tape with a one side sticky back covered with paper, You can cut out a piece, install it onto the top of the engine, and carefully use a xacto knife and trim the tape around the inside of the bore, trim out the bolt holes, and the outer surface, This tape is very soft and will seal most any small imperfections you have.  Make sure you get the proper metal duct tape  and  not the  cloth type

Randy

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 12:01:24 PM »
Thanks again, and so it goes!

Yep, Divot, my mistake or misuse of the term as I take it that lapping is lapping by no other form. Terminology can be a bugaboo in this hobby.

I took your advice (and that of Brett) and hit the scratch with JB Weld. Will try the oven trick per your suggestion and then some careful fine lapping. Progress is being made.

So Randy offers a dandy Plan B to the above; much appreciated! I've seen the metallic (aluminum) tape you refer to and will chase it down as appropriate.

Much obliged once again.

Dave Mo....

PS: Thought that I had shut down the heat stove for the season. Dave's warning might prove me wrong, so cooking more wood might be in order.

D....

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »
Cooking wood?  Are we talking KD hardwood or....?

If you are going to temp cycle, do it before the adhesive. If you already have the JB on it, skip the oven cycles.

The aluminum tape is a great idea if that works. I would have never attempted it though because it comes with an acrylic adhesive (PSA) on it. I would have thought that the heat and the pressure would cause problems on a head gasket. It is very malleable which would be great for gaskets. It will cut you badly if you handle the roll carelessly. I have my fair share of scars from using it for instrumentation placement during temperature/altitude tests. If guys are successfully using it for head gaskets, that is a great tip.

Divot

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 01:57:14 PM »
Cooking wood?  Are we talking KD hardwood or....?

If you are going to temp cycle, do it before the adhesive. If you already have the JB on it, skip the oven cycles.

The aluminum tape is a great idea if that works. I would have never attempted it though because it comes with an acrylic adhesive (PSA) on it. I would have thought that the heat and the pressure would cause problems on a head gasket. It is very malleable which would be great for gaskets. It will cut you badly if you handle the roll carelessly. I have my fair share of scars from using it for instrumentation placement during temperature/altitude tests. If guys are successfully using it for head gaskets, that is a great tip.

Divot

Hi Dave

There is  no problem with the  tape, it is the exact tape  we use as a header gasket for the EXHAUST , and it stands up to exhaust with ZERO problems,  and  as I said I have used it on heads before, so  yes it works.
The glue  is  extreme thin coating  so it does not cause  any problems

Randy

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 02:26:16 PM »
Hi Dave

There is  no problem with the  tape, it is the exact tape  we use as a header gasket for the EXHAUST , and it stands up to exhaust with ZERO problems,  and  as I said I have used it on heads before, so  yes it works.
The glue  is  extreme thin coating  so it does not cause  any problems

It's thin adhesive to start with, and whatever is left is quickly extruded out except in the scratches. That's why the header gasket sealant works, even if it is not cured.

I like it less well in this case, because the metal duct tape is about .008-.010, or at least the kind I have is. That's a pretty big change in the compression. Using the JB-weld like a filler should result in nearly no change to the clearance (aside from what has already been done).

Brett

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 09:43:39 PM »
Dave: Not sure about KD, but I burn whatever is available for my wood stove to keep the abode warm. Oak is the gold standard, but lots of ash wood around here lately.

Back to the business at hand. I've met with some of the best results so far through your heat cycle technique.

To fill you in, I previously tried filling in the one large scratch with JB Weld. Used a needle to apply a minuscule amount to the scratch and then bolted on the head for the 24-hour wait. I even used a hair dryer to soften the epoxy beforehand, hoping for good penetration. This is the only JB Weld I've used on this job. Not sure that it filled the scratch that well, though. Will keep Zap in mind next time.

At any rate, I heat cycled the head and cylinder this afternoon per the Divot method. Then I lightly lapped (1,000 grit) each part again followed by acetone cleaning. The results: excellent compression with the head in either direction. In one orientation, the head bolt next to the scratch issued a couple of tiny bubbles. In the other orientation, no bubbles anywhere at at all. What an improvement from where we started!

Great comments from Randy and Brett again on the metallic tape. Now I know what to try on my Enya mufflers old stock!

Thanks!

Mo....

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 10:24:08 PM »
Mo,

Glad to hear you are making progress on your K&B repairs. Hope you have it flying soon!

Some follow-up on the aluminum tape techniques--

The stuff I used a lot for temporary installation of instrumentation during environmental test was the 3M series, such as the 425. This is .0046" thickness.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-10311/3M-Single-Coated-Tapes/3M-425-Aluminum-Foil-Tape-2-x-60-yds?pricode=WB3547&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-10311&utm_campaign=3M%2BTapes&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-10311&utm_campaign=3M%2BTapes&msclkid=b67548be957a12291509141289e2cf1a&gclid=CLfTzcCTwuECFUOTxQIdLYkOSg&gclsrc=ds

They do list the upper temp limit of 300F, which is higher than I would have guessed. Is the stuff being used on header gaskets the same or some special high temp material?

I'm going to have to try this out, as soon as a decrepit engine opportunity avails....

Dave H

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 10:35:22 PM »
To fill you in, I previously tried filling in the one large scratch with JB Weld. Used a needle to apply a minuscule amount to the scratch and then bolted on the head for the 24-hour wait. I even used a hair dryer to soften the epoxy beforehand, hoping for good penetration. This is the only JB Weld I've used on this job. Not sure that it filled the scratch that well, though. Will keep Zap in mind next time.

I wouldn't have bolted the head on after applying it!  The idea was to fill the crack like wood filler, like with the end of a steel ruler like a putty knife, and leave some on there. Then, when cured, sand it/lap it (and the rest of the sealing surface) flat. As you did it, it probably got extruded, then shrunk as it cooled and cured, leaving it a bit short.

Seems like you got something OK anyway, so carry on.

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »
That aluminum tape can be expensive. If you'd like some without having to buy a roll, I can send you a little.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 08:19:45 PM »
   It's thin adhesive to start with, and whatever is left is quickly extruded out except in the scratches. That's why the header gasket sealant works, even if it is not cured.

I like it less well in this case, because the metal duct tape is about .008-.010, or at least the kind I have is. That's a pretty big change in the compression. Using the JB-weld like a filler should result in nearly no change to the clearance (aside from what has already been done).

Brett

Brett
Its  been  no problem in  the engines I have used it in, my tape  is  .004 thick, I do not  keep the  paper on it,  The  compression loss has  not been a problem because  I just consider the .004  as  one or  the  head shim, So my use, C/R has not been changed at all, You can easily adjust the head shim if needed  to the .004  tape thickness, or use  2 layers  with NO shim, as  the tape  makes  the shim.
As far  as  heat  goes, it seems bulletproof  as  anny head shim, it being sandwiched between the  head and sleeve or case, protects  and  holds the tape shim in place

Randy

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »
Great info, Randy and Brett. I will add it to my methods.

Dave

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 04:59:01 AM »
The Depot has aluminum tape for sealing air ducts that works well and is much cheaper than the 3M.
Al

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 09:41:20 PM »
  For a quickie fix that I have used on other engines, is good old  #2 Permatex. Wipe on a very thin layer and let sit a while, then bolt the head on and run it. It never dries hard, but still seals some how. I keep a tube in my flight box. It gets to be a sticky mess sometimes, but we're talking about a K&B .20 here, correct??
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Moritz

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »
So it's up and running in fine form again thanks to the committee effort displayed here. Lots of good dialog came out of this, revealing many tricks of the trade for the record.

Dane: Thanks for the tape offer, but I'm good to go. Very kind of you.
Dan: Nice to know the Permatex idea could have been an option; next time for sure!

All the best.

Mo...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
BTW, the probably best, machine shop way of fixing this would have been to fly-cut it flat on a milling machine, face it off in a lathe, or grind it with a surface grinder as deep as necessary (probably wouldn't be able to reasonably remove less than maybe .005" without the surface grinder. Then use a brass or aluminum head gasket to space it back out. Of course, by the time you got done paying someone to do that (probably requires a specialty machine shop), it would have cost $150 or so, which is considerably in excess of this:

https://www.mecoa.biz/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=156

Part number 33-5601  $39.50

Which, no offense intended, is probably far more than I would be willing to pay for a complete working engine, even a brand new one!

Brett

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:23:11 PM by Brett Buck »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here