News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Johnson J-SS.35  (Read 1668 times)

Offline rustler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Johnson J-SS.35
« on: October 08, 2006, 01:55:52 PM »
I thought this had been sorted, that the big case J-SS.35 was a full 35 size motor. However, looking through my files I find I have p.23 of the 4/63 MAN, Chinn's test of this motor.

Quote :-

It is in the first place, of slightly smaller displacement than the well-known Johnson J-CS (Combat Special), J-BB and J-RC engines, (all .3585   (continued on page 84)....

The "Continued" bit is crossed out by hand, so it may be a typical magazine typo, and not p.84. However, the continuation should answer the question once and for all, - is the big case SS a 35 or a 33? Anyone got the magazine to check?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
Re: Johnson J-SS.35
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 05:49:13 PM »
I don't have the spec sheets for the large case engines, but my old BB Combat Special was a .36 instead of .35.  Not sure if this is actually a different bore/stroke or just a marketing scheme.

Is it possible that the displacement difference referenced is this small?
Steve

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 07:59:17 PM »
According to the American Model Engine Encyclopedia the 1960 36 Combat special was a .358 at .770 bore and stroke while the  1960 Stunt Supreme was a .349 at .770 x .750 and then in 1961 the Combat spectial and Stunt Suprem are listed as both being .358 displacemant.
The earlier small case stunt motors were on the 35 case with the 35 piston/sleeve and 29 crank...   Just to confuse everyone....   ;D
Jim

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:58:57 PM »
Uh-oh! Steve, can you confirm BB Combat Spcl.? I was trying to get Johnsons sorted in my mind, but instead of getting resolved it's getting more complicated! ???
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:25:16 PM »
Uh-oh! Steve, can you confirm BB Combat Spcl.? I was trying to get Johnsons sorted in my mind, but instead of getting resolved it's getting more complicated! ???

Yep!  I've got one from back in my days at college.  I'm not sure of all the details since I did not buy it from a store and it was a long time ago.  The engine is marked CS on the case and looks just like a regular CS except that the venturi is opened up to minimum wall thickness and the top of the venturi has been machined at an angle (low on the intake side).  Inside it looks like a CS except for port clean-up and it has a ball bearing on the shaft.  The forward bearing is an oilite like the standard engine.  I bought it from a fellow combat flyer who was quitting.  His story was that it was a Riley Wooten mod but came from the factory with the rear ball bearing.  I could not comfirm his story, but his other engines ran really well so I bought it.  I think I paid the princely sum of $25 for it.  I got the engine in 1962 or 63 and installed it in a modified Equalizer.  It would really haul using a 9X8 Power Prop but did not run so well on smaller props.  It was last flown almost 20 years ago on a Sneaker.  I still have both and have been thinking about another flight or two for old times sake.
Steve

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 02:56:02 PM »
The article continues on Page 34...
"its actual displacement being within .35 cu. in. at .3492. This reduction is accounted for the crank throw, which destrokes the J-SS by 20 thou. to .750 in."
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:05:58 PM »
Dennis/Steve/et al - Thanks for all this.
Ian Russell.

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 09:51:38 AM »
I have my CS all stored away ( 3 of them) - last flown on the Sneeker- your comment about Sneeker has me thinkin how fun it would be , for old times sake, to build a new one and bolt on my Johnson- are Sneeker plans available? Perhaps from Barry  Baxter?
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 06:26:51 PM »
Yup, Bare has the plans for the short boom version of the Sneeker. http://www.controllineplans.com/frameset2.htm

I stumbled across a Fliteline kit of a long boom version some years ago, that I didn't know existed. I liked the Sneeker for fun flying, but didn't really care for it for actual combat matches. Others have agreed, but I'm not real sure why. Mine seemed to act a little weird, which I attributed to the equal span design. But it may have been wake turbulence, too.   :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 03:42:16 PM »
Steve,
Your comments re the Sneeker surprised me.  I always thought it was one of the better combat airplanes until the Nemisis.  The ones we built used full 36" leading edges and spars, so had a bit more wing area than the kit version.  We also used 1"longer tail booms, mostly to balance the airplane with the large case Johnsons.
Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here