News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:39:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: It really works  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • khspriggs
It really works
« on: December 04, 2006, 04:00:17 PM »
I have tried to clean old engines many times with pretty poor results. I recently decided to try to clean up 3 old Fox stint engines. Typical mediocre results. I read in the December Model Aviation magazine that you could use Dawn Power Dissolver. I was skeptical but I gave it a try. Unbelievable

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
Re: It really works
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 07:37:29 PM »
looks like new!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 09:44:01 PM »

"Dawn Power Disolver"

Well, I saw this written up in the Dec. MA so I thought I'd give it a try. I had a twenty year old FP .40 around that had been rebuilt a couple of times that was pretty kruddy. I don't clean a whole bunch of engines so I haven't been willing to invest in a crock pot set up.

First of all I had a hard time finding the DAWN POWER DISOLVER. It is supposed to be carried in the super markets with other DAWN products. Not in Publix, or Sweetbay (Florida) stores. Finally got some at Albertsons. About 3 dollars and change. Cheap, if it works!

Welllllll...Yes it did get most of the burned gunk off after an hour of squirting and soaking and scrubbing with a stiff tooth brush. It did need a second bath to get it all off. It didn't get the burned oil stains off that gather around the exhaust stack and the muffler. It also darkened the cleaner areas of the engine and left some black splotches behind.

If your need is to get caked gunk off your engines, this will work. But if you want to get your engines pretty again, I can't recommend POWER DISOLVER.

Somehow there is a conflict here.
Dennis
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:10:34 AM by Robert Storick »

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 03:13:50 AM »
I have been scouting grocery stores and others and cant find Dawn Power Disolver. Where did you find it. Know one seems to have seen this product in the Cleveland area.
Thanks
Wayne

Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 09:22:53 AM »
I have been scouting grocery stores and others and cant find Dawn Power Disolver. Where did you find it. Know one seems to have seen this product in the Cleveland area.
Thanks
Wayne

My wife told me she bought the first bottle at Wal Marts. It was in the dish washing soap area. I bought a bottle yesterday from a grocery store IGA affiliate. Dont know if they have them in your area  or not. You might go to the Procter and Gamble website and I think they have a section that tells who sells the various products.

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 04:35:47 AM »
Thanks, I'll try Wal-Mart.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
First off Dennis, if you are going to "borrow" someone elses post I would think it would be curteous to give the original post  credit. See Ward-o's post in PRODUCT REVIEWS.

And lastly, here is the picture of my FP .40 after several hours or more of soaking and scrubbing. Perhaps it has something to do with alloys or.... f~

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 11:34:24 AM »
First off Dennis, if you are going to "borrow" someone elses post I would think it would be curteous to give the original post  credit. See Ward-o's post in PRODUCT REVIEWS.

And lastly, here is the picture of my FP .40 after several hours or more of soaking and scrubbing. Perhaps it has something to do with alloys or.... f~

Ward

Ward,
Have you tried crock potting? I've tried it on a couple of shiny case Fox engines with great results. Not only did the engines come out looking like brand new, they came out "unstuck." I haven't tried it on a matte finished engine yet, thinking the rough surface might somehow be more porous or something and be darkened by the process. After seeing what a spray on solution did to your engine though, I don't think crock potting could do any worse.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 11:40:52 AM »
Ward
Actually the credit was given as posted in SSW. I had not seen your review here at the time of my reply  the credit and banner was edited out but not by myself. I'm not about to argue with the moderators right to edit any post he wishes to.. The point of the remark was to say that you cannot give a sparkling endorsement in one post and write a less then sparkling review of the product. It does make the remarks somewhat ambiguous.
 I don't think we need to take this any further. Especially since the product is not about to change the world in any appreciable way.
Dennis

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
Dennis,

No sweat on the credits. (make love, not war)!

But,

Conflicting stories are always of value! There is something different about what happened here. I have no idea what, but folks should know that much, at least.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 01:55:16 PM »

Ward

Ward, your results look just like what I got using a bit of dishwasher detergent in water.  I guess aluminum alloys are very sensitive as to exactly which material/alloy they are and how the parts are manufactured.  I'd stick with antifreeze in a crock pot.  May take longer, but the antifreeze is made to be compatible with aluminum, since every modern engine has aluminum somewhere in it where it gets exposed to AF.
phil Cartier

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 02:05:15 PM »
Thanks Phil,

Appreciate the comments. But like I said , I just don't gook up that many engines like you combat guys! (you da pros at dat!)

Maybe I should look around for one of those mini pots!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 02:30:21 PM »
A word of caution  The crock pot  method  can make the engine  look just like  Ward's

I have seen  many  very badly oxidized  by crock cooking

I have als seen great results , and  terrible  results  with Crock pot cooking.
Also it will  destroy  any Bearing seals  or  Venturie  O rings  so, those  saying  put the engine in whole  without dissasembly  may  suffer  bad  result s there  too.

It is  also  much better  to  only use  pure  anti-freeze   with  zero  water  in it.

Regards
Randy

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 08:13:13 PM »
Tanks to the Ran Man!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here