News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:12:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I have been told  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I have been told
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »

That today's engines (la 40 tower 40 Brodak 40) can be run on all synthetic fuel, in other words they do not need castor oil at all.

Any body else heard this also?
 I think that they will not last, what does anybody else think?
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Re: I have been told
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:48:56 PM »
Hello Gil
                  I have run the OS.40FP with Fuel with synthetic oil only,I was using Cool Power 15% nitro fuel and the engine ran well of course I never ran it lean. I noticed that the engines crankshaft would corrode and I started to add castor oil to the mix and the problem was vastly reduced.I was doing mods on the engine to get more power and Rpm so I took it apart a lot to see how it was wearing. I got it up to 17,500 Rpm on a 9x6 apc. Now days I will not run any of my engines with synthetic only. Castor oil will protect an engine on a lean run because it will not burn like synthetic,the varnish it leaves is protection against metal to metal contact.
                                                                                                                           Juan

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
Have you read Randy's pinned posts at the top of the page? This one should help a lot:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=4037.0  Randy likes some castor oil, and I'll go with that. The R/C guys are more worried about idle quality & reliability than they are about engine life, they seldom run WFO and if it's lean, they can throttle back and bring it down and adjust. We can't, so don't believe their experiences equate to what will work for CL.   D>K Steve 

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

Thank you fellows, I feel like I need some castor in the fuels also.
  I appreciate the advice...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here