News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to secure a pressure fitting in a muffler?  (Read 444 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How to secure a pressure fitting in a muffler?
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:49:09 PM »
         Hello:

How may I secure a pressure tap in a muffler? The pressure tap holds the halves of the muffler together.  Today, the pressure tap backed out allowing half of the muffler to fall off and become lost.  My partner found it later in the day.  Would something like a Lock Tite product suffice? Or what else may work. Would solder work on the brass pressure tap? How hot does a muffler become in flight?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline jerry v

• Commander
Re: How to secure a pressure fitting in a muffler?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »
I prefer to use red Loctite  (permanent bond). In case you have to remove fitting - use acetone to soak and soften the tread locker.
 Blue loctite is removable strength, but I won’t trust it on the muffler.
 One more solution is epoxy.

Jerry
Variety is the spice of life.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 06:03:30 AM »
Sounds like a H.P muffler, I would drill and pop rivet it in two other locations to hold it together and then JB weld the tap back in but heat treat it as it cures as it will stand a higher temperature this way. Soft solder melts at muffler temperatures .
Regards Gerald

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 06:41:40 AM »
Without seeing the muffler,

I would simply put a pop rivet in the hole where the pressure tap is. They come is sizes and lengths.

I'd drill and tape another hole for the pressure tap, in a location that works for your application.

I'd stay away from glue products all together. But that's me.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 07:29:41 AM »
  JB Weld will do the trick.
  John L.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 10:58:45 PM »
Best thing to do is  Pop rivet the halves, and   do not  use  pressure unless this is a  combat run, for Stunt, Muffler  pressure has a long list of  bad things it causes, and  only  1  that  is  worthwhile, If the muffler halve are  threaded,  clean with acetone  and  use  red locktite

Randy

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 11:16:55 PM »
What everyone else is saying about super clean and red loctite, but also... the hp and the split merco are relatively similar. Ensure that the mating surfaces are not only clean, but very flat. Do the ol figure 8 on a piece of sand paper trick. Lightly. Just need to see that it's flat.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here