News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How many oz. of castor oil must I add to 10-10-10 fuel for Fox engine use?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    Hi Gang:

I have fuel that is 10% synthetic, 10% castor and 10% nitro.  How many oz. of castor oil must I add to bring the total castor oil content to safe level for use in the older lapped iron/steel engines like O.S, S.T.,Fox, Enya etc.

I have been advised that the 11%, 11% mix would protect my engines against damage and it was fine to use it in these older engines.  I have had some very lean runs in the O.S. and Fox engines with no damage using fuel that had 6 oz of castor added to the 11%-11% mix with no damage! I have been advised that one can not damage an engine when one was using all castor for lube.  I do not know if this is true, but I have never had it happen to me!

Perhaps I should just purchase some nitro and mix my own 10% nitro, and 25% castor to be safe!

Any thoughts about this question?

Tia,

Franchi

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
To a gallon of 20% oil fuel I add 12 ounces of oil to have about 29% oil in the fuel.  Old Fox Superfuel was 28%.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
    Hi Gang:

I have fuel that is 10% synthetic, 10% castor and 10% nitro.  How many oz. of castor oil must I add to bring the total castor oil content to safe level for use in the older lapped iron/steel engines like O.S, S.T.,Fox, Enya etc.

I have been advised that the 11%, 11% mix would protect my engines against damage and it was fine to use it in these older engines.  I have had some very lean runs in the O.S. and Fox engines with no damage using fuel that had 6 oz of castor added to the 11%-11% mix with no damage! I have been advised that one can not damage an engine when one was using all castor for lube.  I do not know if this is true, but I have never had it happen to me!

Perhaps I should just purchase some nitro and mix my own 10% nitro, and 25% castor to be safe!

Any thoughts about this question?

Tia,

Franchi

You maybe better off either mixing your own, or using 12.5 nitro% and adding 10 ounces of castor to the fuel. This way you will have enough oil, but the nitro would not be so diluted

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
I have run Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil, half castor, half synthetic, in all my glow engines, Including Fox stunt 35s and McCoy redhead 19s for many years. I am happy with it. Extra castor won't hurt.

Offline John Craig

• Commander
My old engines have gotten by on Sig 10-10-10 to which I have added 1 oz. of Aero Lube & 4oz. of oil, generally a 50-50 mix of castor & synthetic.  I have no complaints.  I once mixed in twice as much oil, but this reduced amount of oil has not made a difference that I can detect.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here