News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Honing cylinders???  (Read 1551 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Honing cylinders???
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »
      Hi All:

What is a J-23 hone?

Is a brake cylinder hone a good choice for honing cylinders in our engines?

Who does this type of work?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Honing cylinders???
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »
       What is a J-23 hone?

NO!

In some cases, you can use it to "rough up" the surface, but only on engines that are already not running correctly and generally only on ringed engines where you have run irregularities AND you see shiny spots (usually circumferential) - as a last resort after fixing everything else and there is nothing left to do.  Then you turn it very slowly, by hand, or slowest possible with a hand drill, tons of oil, just until the shiny spot goes away. You remove no real material and if you do, you are going to be looking for new parts.

This was a trick from the ancient days of ST46/60 ringed engines as a last ditch effort to keep them going, most of them did not need this, just a good ring. You should not be using ringed engines any more, unless for nostalgia purposes, which will faithfully recreate the days of screwing around with engines in fields hoping to get one decent flight in a weekend.

Otherwise, in any other case, you will immediately ruin the parts. Particularly do not lap, hone, "modify", "fit", "blueprint" or in any other way modify any AAC/ABC/ABN cylinder and only "lap" iron-liner slug-piston engines until it will safely turn over, otherwise, you want to just run them.   In fact, I would very highly recommend almost everyone reading this to NOT EVEN LOOK at the liner bore or inside of any modern engine unless it is already broken, because there's virtually nothing you can do to it to make it work better, and to look at it you have to take it apart - which you also shouldn't do.

"Honing cylinders" safely and correctly for model engines requires very specialized and very expensive machines, and also very specialized knowledge. Almost no one reading this is likely to know how to do it correctly, Randy and a few others probably know in general what to do, but because they know what it entails, they farm it out. In fact, anyone claiming to manage it (usually with barnyard techniques) and anyone that thinks you can do it at home with your calibrated eyeball and a hand drill is certainly wrong and shouldn't be allowed within 100 miles of a model engine.

Brett

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:51 AM »
I know of one guy in Texas who does this. I will not say who, even if asked via PM. It's not my place to say. But my point is, Brett is correct about the tooling. It's NOT something you can just buy. He chromes the cylinder and then hones them. The workmanship is amazing but if you calculate the time he invests in each set, there's no way at all he could sell them for any type of profit and make them affordable.

Look at Brian Gardner's stuff. Amazing work, and the price reflects the labor involved. That's why he has a minimum number of pre-orders to make a run.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »
Brett beat me to it with his diplomatic words.

Unless you're building engines for fun (which people do), and expect to get something no better than typical 1950's technology (which is doing pretty good for the home shop machinist), do what Brett said.  Home shop machinists who do build their own engines run them on stands as an achievement by themselves, or put them on planes and fly them every once in a while to say they've done it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
Frank Bowman recommended roughing up the cylinder with a brake hone or by hand when putting in his new rings. Clarence Lee recommended wet or dry sand paper and oil by hand. What ever works. As Brett said, do not remove any metal, just rough it up to help the new rings seat. Nothing you do to a lapped piston will help except some cast iron pistons can be grown with heat from a propane torch and dropped into a can of motor oil. Works great on Super Cyclones and Forster 29's.
Jim Kraft

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 01:22:19 PM »

Unless you're building engines for fun (which people do), and expect to get something no better than typical 1950's technology (which is doing pretty good for the home shop machinist), do what Brett said.  Home shop machinists who do build their own engines run them on stands as an achievement by themselves, or put them on planes and fly them every once in a while to say they've done it.

At least those home shop machinists that I know do what they do because there is no limits, many things can be made better than in mass produced products. One good example is the so much hated piston ring technology. When I can put my full focus on it, it's really superior to anything I have ever used before. But no need to start arguing, I'm fully aware of what caused its bad reputation.
Honing,  with proper tools, it's actually a very easy and simple process, but to succesfully hone conical holes as required in ABC or AAC technology really takes some skill. It's more like art. The thing is that doing so is totally against what the machine is designed to do. L

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »

I feel more than a little responsible for several incidents with brake cylinder hones, because while I didn't invent the idea, I may have been the first person to mention it on the internet. Then I find people who ground up their 45FSRs using the premise "if a little's good, 25 minutes at 8000 rpm is better".

There's really almost NOTHING that even very capable modelers can usefully do to a factory ABC/AAC/ABN liner to make it better,  and trying to do so will almost certainly ruin it, as I have seen over and over again.

Brett

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
 You should not be using ringed engines any more, unless for nostalgia purposes, which will faithfully recreate the days of screwing around with engines in fields hoping to get one decent flight in a weekend.

What a crock of S***.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
 R%%%%Whadaya want the HONE for ; is to BUST THE GLAZE . Fitting a new ring , or maybe if the rig WONT SEAT .

The theory is the ring floats on a overly smooth bore , & requires a ' interface ' to mate succesfully .
Back in Noahs day , ' The New ' Chomed RINGS for Norton Commandos were HARD FACED , The Cycle would burn oil
for 2.000 miles ; Then Stop . The RING had ' seated ' , took that long for the Hard Ring to wear in to the cylinder .

No doubt a chome bore & iron ring would take a while to seat , also .

Typical DOUBLE CROSS HATCH - HONE to ' bust glaze ' even on a new cylinder , is what on a RINGED ENGINE the ' HONE ' is required for ,

=========================================================================

Tho weve seen the bloke who tooned Lagans fastest at W.C.s F.F. Rossi , ' relive ' a cylinder / adjust taper , in a few twists of a Brake Hone .
This is on a lapped piston .15 , and No More than SIX light turns thru bore , was utilised .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thisisabout the only one I can find that dosnt apear to me to be grossly overdone . Maybe 320 or 400 Wt wet & dry paper on a Dowel ,
But it should be held aligned in the palm ? ? , and only a few rotateing passes . Most Bores ( FOX ) ARNT HARDENED .

This is talking about a 40 or 60 ringed motor , to DE-GLAZE , or to clean up a bore for cheapskates peasants & destitudes .
Decadent rissoles can afford to replace them .  S?P Practise makes perfect .

The Bro's CR 250 M got new rings every second M-X meeting , a light brush through with wet & dry if contaminated / lacquered .

Another important consideration is to CLEAN the swine adequately .

The General Theory being the White Rag , a paper towel should come out CLEAN after wipeing it ,
while the rag get dirt on it wiping the bore, Its NOT CLEAN . We want no Grit Reside / contamination .

So cleanliness & a bit of common sense is wot works . Practise on some scrap might be adviseable .

Though these new fangled things may be used for that .

or One is Removing the ' Tram Lines ' ! .

AND : Beschädigter Zylinder - vor und nach der Bearbeitung
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:21:20 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »
      Hi All:

What is a J-23 hone?

Who does this type of work?

Tia,

Frank McCune

NO NO NO    only use one of those  to break the surface on a slick used one you are re ringing, They WILL  NOT   make any sleeve  round, only good they are for is  cutting a  cross hatch  for ring seating

Randy

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 04:02:02 AM »
You should not be using ringed engines any more, unless for nostalgia purposes, which will faithfully recreate the days of screwing around with engines in fields hoping to get one decent flight in a weekend.

What a crock of S***.

Do you have to fiddle with the rings of your car every 1000 miles?
As I said, if it’s well made with good materials & tolerances, there is no issues.
Don’t base your opinions on bad experiences with some old crap. L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here