News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home Made Fuel Pressure Fitting  (Read 456 times)

Offline Jerry Reider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Home Made Fuel Pressure Fitting
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »
I have a few O.S. Max-s 35's and the mufflers have plugs where the exhaust pressure fitting would be.  The threads and hole size are quite a bit larger than the later model exhaust pressure fittings.  I'd like to pressurize the fuel system on my Nobler in which resides one of my 35 Max-s'.  I figure the fuel pressure fitting for this muffler is long out of production.  I was going through my hardware drawers in the garage looking for some way to solve this problem.  I came across the drawer that has assorted automotive grease fittings.  Hmmmm.  I took a 1/16" pin punch and put a 1/4" grease fitting in the bench vise and I punched the ball, spring and plug out of the fitting.  I was left with an 1/8" hole through most of the fitting with the exception of where the ball seats at the end of the fitting.  I simply drilled the fitting straight through with a 1/8" drill starting at the threaded end.  Then I took a piece of 1/8" by about 5/8" long brass tubing and pushed it through the hole.  I then set the assembled fitting on the anvil part of the vise and tapped lightly on the brass tubing trying to slightly enlarge the diameter of the tubing for a tighter fit.  I then silver soldered the tubing in place.  I tapped the muffler with a 1/4-28 tap and screwed the fitting into the muffler.  I'll probably refine the process a bit on the next one but this worked out just fine.
Jerry

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Home Made Fuel Pressure Fitting
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:21:12 PM »
It looks crude but effective -- clever use of what you had on hand!

If the steel is soft enough you could whack the ball end off, file the cut end so that it looks good again, and solder the tube into that.  I don't think you need to swage the tube and solder -- just soft-soldering it is probably more than enough.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
It's crude yes, but it is on the bottom of the plane anyhow.  I am hoping the silver solder does not melt from the exhaust temperature, that was why I swaged it for extra insurance.  When I make another one I'll probably do a bit better of a job.  I want to make sure this one doesn't come apart first.  Of course if this one fails it's back to the drawing board.
Jerry

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:13:03 PM »
I put about 6 or 7 flights on the Nobler that I put the pressure fitting on.  Works great.  Solder didn't melt and it does the job.  The down side of today was I think the connecting rod on the 35 Max-s that is on my 38 Special is on it's way out.  Feels like it has a fair amount of play when it is at TDC.  I'll have to pull the back plate off and have a look at it.  I've had a 35 Max-s on my Shoestring for years.  I run it lean and mean and it's met the asphalt 5 or 6 times.  That one is a real survivor I haven't killed it yet and it still runs great.  I run my Max-s' on 10% nitro and 25% oil; 80% castor 20% synthetic.
Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here