News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:27:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hole in Prop bigger than Propshaft  (Read 475 times)

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Hole in Prop bigger than Propshaft
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:24:26 AM »
I've got an old OS Max .15 (looks like the OS Max "S" series).  The APC 8 x 4 prop comes with a hole that is bigger than the prop shaft on my motor.  Is there a safe way to use brass or aluminum tubing to center the prop?

I've ordered some 7 x 6 and 8 x 4 Master Airscrew glass filled props.  I have one of the Master Airscrew 7 x 6s and I will have to ream that prop a little to go over the prop shaft.  I'm hoping the 8 x 4 will either fit or need a little reaming.

I've ordered a Y & O 8 x 4 to see how it will fit.

I have some Rev-Up wood 8 x 3s that will require a little reaming to go over the prop shaft.

I have a Fox prop reamer.

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pedersohn

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hole in Prop bigger than Propshaft
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
I've got an old OS Max .15 (looks like the OS Max "S" series).  The APC 8 x 4 prop comes with a hole that is bigger than the prop shaft on my motor.  Is there a safe way to use brass or aluminum tubing to center the prop?

I've ordered some 7 x 6 and 8 x 4 Master Airscrew glass filled props.  I have one of the Master Airscrew 7 x 6s and I will have to ream that prop a little to go over the prop shaft.  I'm hoping the 8 x 4 will either fit or need a little reaming.

I've ordered a Y & O 8 x 4 to see how it will fit.

I have some Rev-Up wood 8 x 3s that will require a little reaming to go over the prop shaft.

I have a Fox prop reamer.

Thanks,
Joe Ed Pedersohn
I picked this up a long time ago from another flier and it worked for me.  Depending on how much the gap is wrap the shaft with thin paper until the prop is snug.  Make the paper wrap taller than the prop.  When you get the prop to slide on over the paper, put a tiny drop of CA to hold it to the prop.  Slide the prop and the paper tube off and CA the paper.  Cut off the excess.  You can roll the paper on a table first then let it unravel enough to slip over the shaft.  I once used masking tape rolled backwards and I tried electrical tape but the glue gets really messy when it gets hot.

Make sure to rebalance the prop when you are done.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Hole in Prop bigger than Propshaft
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 02:31:05 PM »
Thanks, guys.

Joe Ed

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here