News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:20:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help Needed for Engine/Muffler Repair  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Jim Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Help Needed for Engine/Muffler Repair
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »
Greetings again!  Gentlemen, I need some info/advice regarding muffler repairs.  I have two perfectly good Fox 40's both of which I have messed up and broken the muffler and the aft crankcase mount.  Is there anyway to repair or better yet, anyone capable to repair these engines and mufflers or are they destined for the scrap pile (I really enjoyed and was quite pleased with these engines (I can't speak for anyone else's experience but mine was excellent).  I look forward to any help that y'all can offer.  Thanks!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Help Needed for Engine/Muffler Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »
   You need some one that is good with a TIG welder and has access to a machine shop to make mandrels and such for doing a build up weld where you need it. Don't try welding the ear back on a such, cut away the small pieces and weld on a slug of new aluminum. Work it down with a file by hand and if possible finish off in a mill. I have fixed worse than that, including putting a whole new left side and mount on a Brodak .40 that you could see the crank counter weight and rod through the hole. Just takes time and technique and patience. Some times it's not worth it but I have fixed engines just to see if I could. All have run well afterwards. The engine needs to be stripped completely down and cleaned as well as possible. gentle heating with the TIG torch and repeated heating and cleaning with wire brush gets all the oil boiled out of the metal. It would take me the rest of the night to detail the procedure but it is possible.
  Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »
Marine outfits , or somewhere that regularly does alloy welding ( a Bull Bar Manufacturer or the like )

are most likely to fit it in , for a pittance . Rather than being fleeced .

Obviously youd have to strip it down , and after take to it with a grinder / file / Tap & Dye etc etc .

So a swap meet $ 5 engines likely a better bet , for a replacement case .

Try an ad on R C Groups & here for replacement parts or dead engines , likely the least agro .

Or just adapt a strap fitting and use as is , for the meantime .

Are they reworked or bog stock ??

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »

file:///F:/Downloads/silver%20fox%20mods%201.pdf

file:///F:/Downloads/silver%20fox%20mods%202.pdf

Fox 40 stunt rework . Lew Wollard .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 10:13:55 PM »
file:///F:/Downloads/silver%20fox%20mods%201.pdf

file:///F:/Downloads/silver%20fox%20mods%202.pdf

Fox 40 stunt rework . Lew Wollard .

Most people don't have direct access to your hard drive...

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 05:24:42 AM »
Hello
In the good old days the mufflers were so flimsy they would break and leave the motor undamaged so I had a lot of broken Fox mufflers generally the ones that wrapped around the exhaust stack (stack survived fine). Have a few of the C case Fox 40's too but will only use a strap on muffler if going on a profile or combat wing (Tatone Peace Pipe 40 to 60 size fits well)
Fox 40 C frames come up all the time on Ebay with worn out RC motors able to provide a very cheap case.

Regards Gerald

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »
   Most people don't have direct access to your hard drive...

Brett

FUDGE :
https://stunthanger.com/smf/engine-set-up-tips/fox-35-timing/msg495212/#msg495212

2nd & 3rd post HERE , I just ' liberated ' them .  ;D

Coincidently ? ? theres Two in Classifieds at the moment .  Woolard Foxes that is .

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 10:14:46 PM »
             This is quite common with these engines. Scott Dinger of Simi Valley California is the welder you seek. Scott has a busy schedule and I believe he's a member on here to find his info. However, the problem at hand here is the quality of metal used on Fox engines. There's so many porosities in that casting that he will more than likely forego repairing it with Tig. The problem is that when you try and weld it, it will blow a large hole in it. He has explained this to me many times in regards to this and he's familiar with what manufacturers are better than others. It doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't be offended if he doesn't want to touch it. He generally does a test area some where else to check.

Offline John Eyer

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
A # 213 Du-Bro 6" Exhaust Ext  and JB Weld can save a Fox Muffler or make a tongue muffler.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 04:47:39 PM »
A # 213 Du-Bro 6" Exhaust Ext  and JB Weld can save a Fox Muffler or make a tongue muffler.
Wow!  That's kool!!  Never though of this type configuration.  But it's kool to see!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »
 :)  Thanks guys!  I really do appreciate your responses.  I attempted a repair fabricating a strap and using JB Weld to hold the broken piece of the muffler and also imbedding the aft muffler screw to the crankcase.  I was pleased with the repair but after about 3 days for curing, I took it out for a flight.  The repair failed after about the first ounce of a three ounce tank.  Although I was frustrated, I was surprised that the sound wasn't all that much greater than with the muffler unlike trying to run an open exhaust McCoy 35 or even Fox 35.  Oh well  :-[ :-\!!

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 07:18:45 PM »
Mecoa has some Fox .40 crankases listed
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 11:24:52 PM »
Perhaps John will let us in on the correct tecnique , with J B Weld ?

Ayraldite putting it over a cup of tea , in the cold weather , gets it mixed . solidifys in a minute or two . NOT ' CURES '  , just chills out .
So replacin it over the boiled water gets it runny again .

J B Weld , do you need to oven cure , stir for 60 minutes , hop on your left foot while patting your head with your hands , alternately . Or WHAT .

Al Rabe artcals had him assembling his mufflwers with J B weld . Ive had it work succesfully on something else , drilled & threaded , But Exhausts  . . .

NO .  :( :-X

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
One thing about tongue mufflers that has always irked me is that they could easily be made to bolt on vertically, so the carcass of the muffler aligns with the cylinder and thus tucks out of the way to a large extent. The actual exhaust outlet would ideally be on the end next to the head, facing away from the head. Nice thing about this layout would be that there would be much less leverage and resulting crash damage. Would look kinda cool, I think, and would be a natural for such a repair and/or strap mounting.

In the R/C world, there are companies that make "Pitts Style" mufflers, which are a similar arrangement but more of a tube muffler. One of the brands I recall was "Bisson". This one fits OS .35/.40FP and .40/.46LA:  http://www.bissonmufflers.com/en/muffler.html?mufflers::listing_id=114044      y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here