News:

• May 20, 2024, 06:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Head shim tool  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Head shim tool
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:45 AM »
Anybody have a plan for a tool to cut head shims ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Head shim tool
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
   How about using a compass with a # 11 blade where the pencil goes, and cut them from alum pie plates.?
  The plates are about .003 thick, or from some .005 brass shim stock?     :!
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:46:27 PM »
I believe Bootlegger is right on with his reply.  Just make sure to get a good compass.  Not one of those dinky school type....get a Steadler or better otherwise you'll end up with elipses and all sorts of odd shapes.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline charlie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:51:18 PM »
Allan, I have made a few of these as required.  This one is just made from bits of mild steel out of my scrap box.  You do need a lathe of course.  The fits need to be very close as you are going to shear the metal of the shim, and if the parts are loose it will not cut cleanly, but to make just a few shims I have never bothered with hardening the metal. To use take a small piece of your shim material and cut a hole near the centre - the hole can be a bit ragged, but try not to distort the sheet while you are cutting it.  Place the central spigot through that hole and into the guide hole in the mating part and press together to punch out the centre hole.  (It can be done in a press or bench vice).  Now slide the third part over the central piece (which aligns it) and press together to shear off the outside scrap.  Now pull the 3 pieces apart and you have one shim and 2 bits of scrap to prise off or out of the cutter.
Charlie Stone  (The West Australian one)

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:21:05 PM »
Charlie,
You stated "the fits need to be very close".  How close is close?  What kind of tolerances are you talking about.  I have a Sherline lathe (but that don't make me no machinist) so forgive my ignorance.  I would like to make a tool for .049 head and cylinder shims as well as one for glow plugs.  I never have enogh glow plug washers.  One thing I found out about buying machine tools is I can spend thousands of dollars on machine to make 2 dollar parts!  I love it though.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline charlie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »
David, The ones that I have made have successfully cut soft aluminium sheet of about ten thou (mils) thickness.  The fits are about like a worn out piston and cylinder in a model engine - that is a free moving but rattle free fit.  For cutting the thicker material that you would need for glow plug washers you may need to experiment with different designs of punch.
Charlie
Charlie Stone  (The West Australian one)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »
FWIW, DuBro sells bulk glowplug washers for the normal 1/4-32 glowplugs. Too cheap to bother making your own.
 HIHI%% Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »
I use a 1/4" paper punch to cut the inside hole, and then cut the outside with scissors. If you cut the inside first with the punch, then you can finish out the hole with a Dremel with a sanding drum before you cut the outside. That way you have enough material to hang on to.
Jim Kraft

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:56:35 PM »
Charlie:

I came late to this thread -- thanks for posting the pictures, you just made a lot of things make sense for me!

I've struggled through making stuff by hand because I couldn't figure out how to get the stuff aligned without doing more than I'm capable off -- but the alignment pin idea is dead-on for me.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:20:13 AM »
Guess I will get myself in trouble again, but, contact Jim Lee at Lee Machine Shop.  He is a vendor on here.  Head shims or gaskets made with his tool.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 11:19:04 AM »
I tried making backplate gaskets for an "orphan" engine (no parts available).  Originals were some sort of oiled paper and very "narrow", so scissors or X-Acto wouldn't work.  Finally, I trapped some oiled paper (actually some Kodak ink-jet printer paper) between two pieces of 1/16" ply.  Then a Dremel drum sander to "sneak up" on the lines drawn on the ply.  When done, I had a perfect gasket, and two pieces of ply that looked like gaskets, but no engine to use them on.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here