News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:57:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hayes Tanks without Pressure  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Hayes Tanks without Pressure
« on: March 19, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
Do Hayes Tanks work well without pressure?

I used one with a Fox 35 and pressure and it was a great run, but I would like to use one with and LA 40, a McCoy 19 and an FP 25, all possibly without pressure.  If it works, what should I do with the top vent?

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hayes Tanks without Pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 06:43:02 PM »
What do you mean by "the top vent"?

Jim
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:16:59 PM by Jim Oliver »
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 07:45:57 PM »
I have run Hayes tanks without pressure with good results.  I usually cap the lower vent to keep fuel from running out and leave the top one open.  On one plane I ran a line from the top vent to the hollow in the backplate of the engine to help with upwind and downwind pressure changes. It isn't connected to the engine, just tucked into a dead air space. Uncap the lower vent to fuel. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:38:57 PM »
The general rule is that "Asian rim" engines like muffler pressure, but Yankee and European ones apparently don't. General rule only. Stuff works for some and not for others.

Have you thought about mounting the Hayes tank "foot" against the fuselage? It can be done, but needs some trickery to make it practical.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
"What do you mean by "the top vent"?     Maybe I should have used a different word than "vent". 

The Hayes tank is a molded plastic tank with three openings stacked vertically.  The bottom one goes to the clunk and is the fuel feed.  The next one up is the fill line and is capped for operation.  The top one can be connected to pressure and is the overflow, air escape vent.  I have found that I need to stand the plane on it's tail to fuel.  With these tanks, there is not the bother of getting three tubes correct in the rubber stopper.  I know a lot of people like them for profiles. I do. However, they are discontinued.  I just ordered a 3 oz. and a 4 oz.  They were the last ones that company had. 

Another question:   would putting a copper tube face forward make a quasi pressure and have any positive effect? 

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:52:39 AM »
"Have you thought about mounting the Hayes tank "foot" against the fuselage? It can be done, but needs some trickery to make it practical."   Steve

No I haven't, but I do like to mount it inboard, if necessary.  Gave me great runs with the Fox.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here