News:

• May 22, 2024, 06:18:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hand fitting engines  (Read 2567 times)

Offline david beazley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Hand fitting engines
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »
Ok, I know enough about this to be dangerous.  How does one hand fit or hand lap an engine?  I am talking about the piston/cylinder fit and the crank fit to in a bushed engine.  Is there any printed guide lines?  I did a quick search on the site but did not find what I am looking for.
Thanks.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hand fitting engines
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
Not the answer you are looking for, but back in the '60s, Fox used to sell a product called Lustrox, if I remember correctly.  It came as a powder in a little plastic bag and it was intended to be mixed with the fuel to help the break in process.  It was a form of lapping compound.  

Based on the theory that if a little bit is good, a lot is much better.  After all, the new Enya engines were advertised as being hand lapped.  I thought I could do as well. I totally ruined a couple of new Fox 35s by the excess use of Lustrox.  

Well, I came up with an even better idea (I thought).  I made a holding fixture for my engine lathe that would rotate the crankcase and cycle the rod and piston while the end of the crank was held in the tailstock chuck.  I put the Lustrox and some cutting oil to it and set it to run at 3,000 rpm.  Vibrations not withstanding (good thing the lathe was bolted down), my idea of lapping in a new engine without heat or combustion worked so well that engine #3 was ruined in much less time than the other 2.  

Lustrox was very profitable for Fox Motors.  It made me buy 3 engines. HB~>

Note to self:  There are no shortcuts. n1
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:42:50 PM by Dick Pacini »
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
No one competent has answered, so I'm going to.  Hopefully it'll exasperate someone in the know enough that they'll chime in.

Go to this site: http://www.modelenginenews.org/.  On the left side, click on "engines" then click on "projects".  Read all the engine project stuff you can; somewhere in there will be at least one if not more description of lapping cylinders and pistons.  It is most definitely aimed at folks who are building engines from scratch, not hand fitting production engines, but it should give you some idea of what you're up against.  Even if you don't learn enough to do it, you may learn enough to understand the next explanation that rolls down the pike.

The only thing I can add is: don't lap a part that's been plated.  AB engines don't, to my knowledge, work nearly as well as ABC engines.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »
No one competent has answered, so I'm going to.  

Mine was the only reply and I never claimed to be competent in lapping airplane engines. In fact my first sentence set the stage with a disclaimer.  Such an outrageous post as mine would surely @#$% someone off enough to jump in.  Looks like it worked.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »
Mine was the only reply and I never claimed to be competent in lapping airplane engines. In fact my first sentence set the stage with a disclaimer.  Such an outrageous post as mine would surely @#$% someone off enough to jump in.  Looks like it worked.
Your post hadn't shown up by the time that I posted mine!   :o   Sorry!!!

I have lapping compound in three different grits, just waiting for some engines to trash.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
I use rotten stone and wd 40 to lap bushed cranks I use a brake cylinder hone to fit abc p/c's and also use the hone to finish ringed cylinders so they hold oil and keep the ring from wearing out. Don't know that I have a clue but these things have served me well.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »
I lapped the piston and cylinders of the four Fox stunt 35's I bought for $12.95 each in 1977.  I used white DuPont rubbing compound which is water based.  I took the heads off, and put a prop on.  Put a little compound on the piston, and started working it back and forth from the top of the exhaust up to where it would get tight.  When the compound became gray, I washed it out and put in new.  I worked the piston up to about 1/8 inch of the top of the stroke.  Washed the engine out, Risloned it up, and ran it on the bench with all castor fuel.  Couple minutes wet two cycle, cool down, then do it again.  Only took a few runs before flying.  First few flights rich lazy 8's.  I'm still flying one of those engines today, after flying other engines for a while. Several hundred flights on Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil, half synthetic, half castor.  The engine has excellent compression, starts easy, and runs to suit me.  It has a stuffer back plate, but was too powerful with the hemihead, so stock head.  I've had one Fox stunt 35 with a tight crankshaft pass through my hands. 

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »
No need to do any lapping on almost any modern engine.  All the manufacturers, except of few of the Chinese suppliers, make motors that are pretty well built with good fits, nice squarely cut parts, wrist pin and crankpin well-hardened and ground, etc.  

Even the new Fox 35's are much better built than any but some of the 40th Anniversary ones.  Jim Thomerson's method of lapping with DuPont white rubbing compound can help speed up the break in.  I usually did it with the piston on the rod and lapped with the piston upside down.  The idea is to try and lap a little bit of taper into the sleeve.  The top edge of the piston will wear into shape with just a few runs.  It's very important on iron piston engines to keep the initial runs cool and slow with lots of lubrication, so the parts wear slowly and get warmed up and cooled down.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:22:07 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »
Ok, I know enough about this to be dangerous.  How does one hand fit or hand lap an engine?  I am talking about the piston/cylinder fit and the crank fit to in a bushed engine.  Is there any printed guide lines?  I did a quick search on the site but did not find what I am looking for.

Almost anything you do to a current-production engine (aside from a Fox/McCoy or similar 50-year old"semi-slag" motor) to hand-fit it will be very unlikely to help it, and far more likely instantly ruin it. Current engines are really marvels of construction, and taking ANYTHING aside from a very specialized Sunnen hone to it is just asking for trouble.

I can tell you this from direct experience - I haven't seen any of the winners of any major competition in the last 25 years do *anything* like lap or otherwise manipulate the piston or liner fit*. And the engines almost all of the top competitors use are essentially straight off the production line with *NO* internal modifications to speak of, at least none made at the user level. You can get the exact engine I run straight from the source in a few weeks and same with most any of the current designs. There are some setup details that are widely available for the asking.

The need to manipulate the fits on stunt engines ended a quarter-century ago, I strongly suggest you leave any modern engine you have unchanged internally.

If you are talking older engines, then there are some things you can do but without know exactly what you are dealing with I think most of us would be hesitant to provide any advice.

Brett

*last that I know of being Ted Fancher's ST46 that won the 86 NATs. I think that had the "brake cylinder hone" rough-up done to it, probably several times. But ST46s are a nostalgia artifact now.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:21:17 PM »
Lustrox= pumice, A big no no.
grit type stuff embeds in poors of the metal, the angular shape causes micro fractures that soften the material.
NO Compound!!!!of any sort.
Well there is one polish available for aluminum aircraft restoration for EAA members.. Good stuff, No angular material.

Modern engines of good quality should not need lapping. Fox is probably the only lapped type engines left an all other is ABC ANC or someC or another, or ringed.

In the past and sometimes recently I lapped the(old) STs, Foxes, what ever, under running hot water.
Piston upside down and never go to the top of travel in the sleeve.
For combat and Rat would taper/enlarge the bore mostly from exhaust port down and little to none above this.
Do not know how this would work out on Stunt and for R/C its not good for idle.

When things are bad off restoration from junk type work sometimes need a well worn sleeve to work a piston in until round again and sometimes the reverse for bad sleeve.

I think hand fitting is going to become a dead art.
We been replaced by CNC! HB~>
David Roland

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 05:11:06 AM »
Hi Brett,
 I am a bit taken aback at your description of a McCoy 35 as a semi slag engine. I reckon that they are an excellent stunt engine, fed the right fuel! New piston and a decent bush main bearing (not as difficult as it may sound) turns them into outstanding stunt engines. OK I admit QC was a problem and so was the sintered piston and the bush material, but as a design, they were first class. Anyone with a lathe and a modicum of skill can do the mods. There are many fliers out there that enjoy this aspect of modelling, please don't put them off attemting to improve old engines. The results may surprise you! Not everyone can be top fliers and anything that broadens the appeal of stunt should be encouraged!
  David may well be thinking of these older engines when he talks of hand fitting motors

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »

Hi.

Here is a problem that I have seen in many Retro Discovery engines. Usually the cylinders are of very good quality but very often the piston is not round, it has several "angles".
 Because the correct fit is determined by how deep up the piston goes in the sleeve with a known force, the engine with this problem feels very good when new. Problems come usually after about 200 flights, first I notice difficulties in start, and very soon after that a loss of power and then the engine jams completely.
 But in the beginning, engines with this problem give a wonderfull, strong 4-stroke run. I assume that's because of detonation caused by hotter-than-normal piston. Engines with this problem seem to run best with all-castor oil fuel, many synthetic oils cause unbearable detonation.
 I think that the reason of this problem is bad quality control, it's never an issue with engines tested by the maker or with the engines that come with ready-to-go models. I guess that the deformation originates from some tool vibration from raw-machining or grinding. There is simply not enough material left to lap the piston round and smooth.
 But to the original subject: This piston cannot be rectified, I would just end up with a loose fit. For this engine, I fitted a new piston, starting from an oversized one.
 There is also another thing visible in the picture, I find it in well fitted engines too, and it should be taken care of after running-in. In both ends of piston "wall", there are marks of high friction/surface temperature. In a good piston the primary sealing area (near the top edge of piston) should have a constant width, but as you can see, the sealing area is wider near the piston wall ends. When the engine runs, the wall is hotter than the rest of the piston, and it expands and compresses against cylinder walls. I think it's very important to correct this deformation after the initial running-in, about 30 flights. It's easily done with #1500 sandpaper and some oil. I also relief the ends of piston wall by about 1/100mm.
 Sometimes similar "shiny spots" can be found also elsewhere in the piston surface, usually near the wristpin ends. They should also be taken care of.
 Also, in the RD.60 engines, the cylinder/case fit is sometimes too tight. I allways make sure that the sleeve has a smooth sliding fit to case. I rectify it by lapping the outside surface of the sleeve. If it binds when pushed in the case, it won't be round and you end up having high friction/temperature spots in the piston/sleeve interface. not good.
 All these things cause bad and uneven thermal conduction and a normal user only may notice the detonation. And usually he tries to fix it by lowering the compression which may help a little, but actually it just messes up the thermodynamic balance of the engine.
 There is also several small things to do to improve the RD.60 bottom end (with bearings etc.) if someone is interested.
 But please, don't do anything unless you really know what you are doing. Most engines are just fine.

Lauri     

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »
Hi Lauri

The piston was not made properly, The top baffle is the hottest part or the piston, the top is next hottest, the shirt is the least hottest, in a well made piston
You can see the baffle is grinding against the sleeve, The baffle should be machined .003 thou smaller than the top of the piston. If it is allowed to be at the same size it will expand more from heat and make friction on the sleeve, many times it will wear 2 grooves into the sleeve if it is not sized properly.
This happens also in ringed motors, they also need to have the baffle sized smaller than the top of the piston, and in a ringed motor, the top of the piston needs to be about .002 thou smaller above the ring groove than the bottom is.

Regards
Randy

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »

Hi Randy.

You are right of course. They should be made right in the beginning. I find it amazing how well these engines run with details like that inside. It may even be so, that the "unintelligent" solutions improve the way they run.
 But, hopefully next year there is no more baffle!

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »
George Aldrich once commented, (close to what he said),  "The major thing I do to an engines is get the fits right.  The first thing the owner does, on getting the engine back, is take it apart to see what I did to it."

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »
What I find curious here is the David (in his original post) never really goes into the specifics of what he needs the information for - apart from the obvious and I find that the best reply was posted from Tim Westcott with the link to http://www.modelenginenews.org/.

It directly answers the question and one could easily assume that David is indeed intending to make his own engines at home or that he simply would like to know how to do something. And since his signature is "analog man trapped in a digital world," this would be my educated guess.

And Jim Thomerson has it right, its the fits that determine whether or not a design performs well or not.

Hand fitting a dead art? I hope not because companies like PAW, Oliver, MP Jet, Fora etc would then have to close their doors for good, and that would rob a dimension from our hobby.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:36:48 PM by Chris Wilson »
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »
Chris, et al,
My question was basically directed towards the "traditional" CL engines, particularly Fox, McCoy, etc.  I understand modern engines have closer tolerances tha the older designs.  I have a low time Fox .35 50th anniversary model with a stuffer back plate and hemi head, bench run only.  I put it on a newly finished Banshee and was looking to shorten the break in curve for more reliable runs etc.  In RC a deadstick can usually be brought down with out incident, a flame out at the end of 60' lines, inverted, for a new CL flyer, not so much.  I will be sorting out my engine decissions for future CL planes but I figured I should have at least one Fox in the stable if I am going to fly CL and would like to have one that acually runs as intended. 
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »
A suggestion for your Fox 35 and Banshee, which no one else will agree with.  Try a couple of different 11 x 5 props. 

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »
Chris, et al,
My question was basically directed towards the "traditional" CL engines, particularly Fox, McCoy, etc.  I understand modern engines have closer tolerances tha the older designs.  I have a low time Fox .35 50th anniversary model with a stuffer back plate and hemi head, bench run only.  I put it on a newly finished Banshee and was looking to shorten the break in curve for more reliable runs etc.  In RC a deadstick can usually be brought down with out incident, a flame out at the end of 60' lines, inverted, for a new CL flyer, not so much.  I will be sorting out my engine decissions for future CL planes but I figured I should have at least one Fox in the stable if I am going to fly CL and would like to have one that acually runs as intended. 

I don't think there is any good substitute for break-in on a Fox, McCoy, etc, particularly if it has already been run. Most of the "lapping" we used to do was just to get it safe to actually run, and to weed out the obviously defective parts. You need the heat-cycling to get it to fit correctly in any case. And almost no matter how long you run it on the ground, you will need a good number of flights to really get it right. That seems to even be true with regular stunt engines like PA and RO-Jetts, far more so with the ancient slug-piston engines.

BTW, if you are running it on a Banshee, please do a search for "Fox burp fix" and follow the directions in the thread. That will save you a tremendous amount of problems.

Brett

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 05:19:28 PM »
The reasons I remember from the day on lapping Foxes was a line from the Team Race guys. They found that if that just went to spinning the Foxes without fitting the p/c they would wear out the rest (rod and crank bushing) of the engine waiting for the p/c to come in. Sooooo out came the lapping compound. On another note you couldn't  beak in a Max III without seriously "shrinking" the piston. The list  supplied is what I use to solve problems. I would also include a very fine file to remove high spots. Silicon carbide sandpaper leaves grit behind. High spots on pistons can be VERY carefully filed.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
Chris, et al,
 I understand modern engines have closer tolerances than the older designs. 

I think that many old design hand made diesels would disagree with you here mate, hand fitting IS the way to go if you want the best fit without running possible.

But as Brett says, the next stage after hand lapping is machine lapping or running it in so don't try to shorten your run in time - it will result in a more unreliable engine in the long term.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 06:54:42 AM »
Heat cycling the engine parts in the Wife's pottery Kiln before fitting would be good, for the engine, not the relationship.. HB~>
David Roland

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 10:03:50 PM »
Heat cycling the engine parts in the Wife's pottery Kiln before fitting would be good, for the engine, not the relationship.. HB~>

I am curious here, in what way would a kiln be good for any engine?

The only time that I have heat treated anything is to take the hardness down on a crankshaft and the domestic house hold oven is adequate for that. (2 hours at 550F)

And what does a kiln usually run at, 1000F?
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »

But as Brett says, the next stage after hand lapping is machine lapping or running it in so don't try to shorten your run in time -

Well, what I meant to say was something different - more like, the first step after hand-lapping is buying a new piston/liner! At least with any current stunt engine.

For ancient slug-piston engines, what I had intended to say was that if you could get it to run at all, and particularly after it has some time on it, you don't want to hand-lap it. Needing to hand-fit engines (or disassemble/clean/lube) was something you sometimes *had* to do because of the poor design and manufacturing. Not something that you should *want to* do or is desirable.

I guess I understand on some level the desire to use the old clunkers (you ought to see the radio I listened to the Giants game on yesterday) but Foxes and McCoys haven't been mainstream stunt engines for 30-40 years now. I just hate to see people steered towards this sort of thing, when you can get far better performance with far less effort for generally far less money (add up the cost of all the trick parts you can put in a Fox - could buy a PA or RO-Jett) .  Yet I still see people endlessly struggling with the endless mods, trick fixes, rework, and getting pretty much nowhere. Then, on the rare occasions they get it to work properly, still get generally very poor performance by current standards. And quite commonly, never know better.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

...I guess I understand on some level the desire to use the old clunkers (you ought to see the radio I listened to the Giants game on yesterday) ...
     Brett

Baseball should be listened to on one of those big 1930s home radios.
Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here