• May 07, 2024, 09:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: g&z 049  (Read 680 times)

Offline dssit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
g&z 049
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:39:23 AM »
on a g&z 049 if the deck height is .118 after break in what  should the height be when fitting a new piston? all help is appreciated.

Offline dssit

• Ensign
Re: g&z 049
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
maybe I did not word my problem  ri ght. when the engine is broke in I would like to have the deck height at .118 [distance from top of sleeve to tdc.] I need to know how much to lap new piston for agood fit after break in.I would rather not use to many shims. I appreciate any help.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »
I am not sure I understand the question exactly, but are you asking what deck height you would measure if you slip the lapped (but unrun) piston into the cylinder---and if you had lapped it "just right"?

I think that is a tough question except for a real engine man! (which I am not --for sure!). I am pretty sure it would be a little more than 0.118 so that running the engine would bring it the rest of the way in.

I am also not familiar with that engine (although that wouldn't help me anyway), but maybe include a few more details, like is it an ABC setup, or an iron piston/cylinder. Maybe someone else would have an idea.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:57:04 PM »
maybe I did not word my problem  ri ght. when the engine is broke in I would like to have the deck height at .118 [distance from top of sleeve to tdc.] I need to know how much to lap new piston for agood fit after break in.I would rather not use to many shims. I appreciate any help.

Hi

The question you are asking is impossible to answer with the info you have given, the deck height has very very little to do with lapping in a piston\sleeve fit , so we would need more info on what you are trying to do

Deck height is the distance from the top of the piston to the bottom of the head, or chamber if it is built in, the top of the sleeve make little sense  and again doesn't give us enough info to answer

Regards
Randy

Offline dssit

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »
let me try to clear up my need.factory heads have .006 or .007 cleaence without shims at .118 top of liner to top of piston. i have 2 engines turning 34k with this setup. what I am trying to do is sneak up while running in. without wasting too many pistons I need a quesstimeate starting point. I have made my own heads with above clearence[.006] but timing changes and I can not get over 32k. I was hoping someone has had similiar problems. again I appreciate any help.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here