News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grow a piston - how much heat and for how long?  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Grow a piston - how much heat and for how long?
« on: December 10, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
Guys,
Has anyone grow a piston?  I understand you can heat the piston then let it cool and it will grow few thousands. This is supposed to work on iron pistons. Question is how much heat for how long and how to cool to keep the increase?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
Re: Grow a piston - how much heat and for how long?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »
Back in the day , one of the aces in a artical , says of the OS 35 - ( on a New disassembled engine - to stress relieve, harden , and ' grow ' the crown .).

" 300 Deg. for three seperate hours " ( more than the cost of the engine in electricity , these days  :P)
often I think the liner was done too . Then it said " Lapped in with TOOTPASTE  ' ( dunno what flavour )

General concensous in Aus. is youd be lucky to grow a well used , thoroughly heat cyled , piston .

What type of Engine ??

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:44:36 PM »
If you go over 1000F/540C, bigger metallurgical changes start taking place in iron.
I bake my piston rings in 1000F (2 hours) and noticed that 24mm dia component grows about 5 microns in dia.
L

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:14:08 AM »
Hello I have grown successfully a number of pistons mainly for OS and Enya engines. Not much luck with Fox (different piston material). The most successful were larger lapped engines including Enya 45 Baldie and an old OS 40H which went on to fly many hours. Always heated to a dull cheery red and quenched in oil.  It worked for me.  :) regards Gerald

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:34:22 AM »
Guys,
Has anyone grow a piston?  I understand you can heat the piston then let it cool and it will grow few thousands. This is supposed to work on iron pistons. Question is how much heat for how long and how to cool to keep the increase?

Best,    DennisT

Hi Dennis

They will  NOT grow  a  few  thousands of an inch, more like a few  10 thou, if  your  lucky,  You will have a very hard time  growing  OLD  heat cycled engines, but to try, if you have a special industrial , or Lab  oven that you can control  use  700 degrees  for  1 hour, if your using your  home over, try  500 degrees  for  30 minutes  2 or 3 cycles, or  use  the   CLEAN  cycle  of your oven .  DO NOT throw  them  in oil or water  to cool, let that cool down naturally.
Do not  try this with  aluminum  pistons as they have silicone in them and  the lapp fit ones  have been heat cycled  already,  also if you get them too hot, the composition changes and you get 100 of tiny bumps all over the surface

Randy

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 04:24:11 AM »
Hello
I did not say how many I stuffed trying  ;)
 Did find if I let them air cool the amount of expansion was less then if cooled a little more suddenly. In the old days motors were harder to come by here in New Zealand so I was game to try it on any worn out engine and contrary to good sense and understanding, I had good luck with many but often only after carefully hand lapping the now oversize piston back in.
But a few were ruined, perhaps they were toast anyway as I saw it. Should have left well alone with some collectable engines like my factory modified Oliver Tiger MkIII  engine and got a new piston made and fitted the 'proper' way.  :-[ A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing along with youthful enthusiasm but it was great when it worked!  #^
Regards Gerald

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »
heated a Rossi 15 diesel piston cherry red then quenched it in brake fluid (in between water and oil } .lapped it in a lap to fit snug g in the sleeve and used it for two years
rad racer

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
I tried a brute force approach on a well used Merco 35.
I heated the piston red hot with a Bernz-O-Magic and let it cool to room temperature.
The fit was very tight so I lapped it in with rotten stone.
I was surprised at how well the fit improved.
When I get a chance, I'll report on how it runs.
Bob Z.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
When heating the piston do you have a ceramic plate or something else that doesn't pull the heat away? I assume the best way to heat it is from the top. Since that's the area that does the sealing but we don't want the heat being pulled in to the plate that the piston is sitting on?

Best,    DennisT

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
Hello I used to heat the piston with my oxygen/acetylene set with some welding rod holding it free hand and would heat the whole piston with my cutting torch set on a gentle  neutral flame being careful not to oxidize it (just do not hit that cutting button/lever !!   ~^ ). Very hard to just heat the top but it is the area that will hold the heat longest if quenching it and where it seems to grow the most. Some pistons will expand a whole lot after this (normally OS and Enya) while others have very little growth after heating a similar amount to a dull cherry red. My advice would be to start with some stuffed, worn and cheap motors to learn/experiment with . The old Enya 45 6001 I did nearly 30 years ago had no fit to begin with but is still a strong runner to this day with an excellent fit and in fact recently helped me into a first place in classic stunt event with another excellent run.  :)
Regards Gerald

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 07:52:55 PM »
Using high nitro fuel and a large prop on a Fox 35 with a full lean setting the piston re-formed itself. The trick is knowing when to shut it off lol. Oh, and it ruins the crank pin.

MM

If you do that to a  FOX 35,  then the trick is to know   when it is about to shoot  the crankshaft out the front of the engine.... then shut it off  a  few  seconds  before    :-O

Randy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »
If you do that to a  FOX 35,  then the trick is to know   when it is about to shoot  the crankshaft out the front of the engine.... then shut it off  a  few  seconds  before   

Now THAT is advice you can use!  You can't get this sort of high-level help just anywhere.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »
Problem with all this  advice  is,  your  never  gonna  hear  how many pistons  people destroy !!!   LOL 

But maybe  we  will get a  few  funny  crankshaft departure  stories  !

Randy

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 03:59:58 AM »
Hello
Yes I admit it, about 50% pistons destroyed but the other 50% that worked fine and were more then good enough for me!
And I did weld up a broken crankshaft on an ED Bee and run it without injury  n~ and I should add this was with my old ox/acetylene set .
I think getting a job as a teenager at an engine rebuilders and then working for an marine engineering company and welding repair company gave me too many ideas to try on my innocent little model aeroplane engines!  >:D Latter on it was the old SBC's that gave me so much fun in my old cars .
There are so many unusual repairs one can do with their welder and a bit of determination #^

Regards Gerald
PS my 10 year old son picked up my hammers and proceeded to repair the grass shoot for the tractor today after I biffed it , the apple does not fall far from the tree  ;)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:43 AM »
But maybe  we  will get a  few  funny  crankshaft departure  stories  !

For equal time, I managed to break the crankshaft on my 1972-vintage OS-25S in a similar manner, and I have yet to break a Fox crank at all. Although once I started looking around, I certainly found a lot of examples with a very consistent set of conditions, all of which involved too much RPM (rare) or lots of nitro (common). When you could get a replacement from the factory in a few days for $6.00, it wasn't much of an issue, now it certainly is a problem.

My OS-25S was out of commission for about 30 years before I found a replacement crankshaft, and I didn't find a replacement factory small venturi until a few years ago. That's better than my dad's old Phantom P-30 - my Uncle Donny tried to "grow" the piston, cracked it (as happens very frequently to meehanite pistons, far more frequently than successfully growing them) and it sat in pieces from the 50's until this summer, when I finally found enough parts to completely restore it, including an original celluloid tank. He said he always liked the engine because it was the only engine they had that would reliably start.

Brett

Online GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 02:28:58 PM »
That's better than my dad's old Phantom P-30 - my Uncle Donny tried to "grow" the piston, cracked it (as happens very frequently to meehanite pistons, far more frequently than successfully growing them) and it sat in pieces from the 50's until this summer, when I finally found enough parts to completely restore it, including an original celluloid tank. He said he always liked the engine because it was the only engine they had that would reliably start. "

Hello Brett I am happy to hear you have been able to restore your Fathers P30 it must be very important to you now after his recent passing which helps during these sad occasions.
For similar reasons I have been trying to restore my old Cox ME109 Super Stunter as it was my first C/L model for my 14th birthday from my now terminally ill mother who has little time left.

Regards Gerald

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 03:07:03 PM »
    For equal time, I managed to break the crankshaft on my 1972-vintage OS-25S in a similar manner, and I have yet to break a Fox crank at all. Although once I started looking around, I certainly found a lot of examples with a very consistent set of conditions, all of which involved too much RPM (rare) or lots of nitro (common). When you could get a replacement from the factory in a few days for $6.00, it wasn't much of an issue, now it certainly is a problem.

My OS-25S was out of commission for about 30 years before I found a replacement crankshaft, and I didn't find a replacement factory small venturi until a few years ago. That's better than my dad's old Phantom P-30 - my Uncle Donny tried to "grow" the piston, cracked it (as happens very frequently to meehanite pistons, far more frequently than successfully growing them) and it sat in pieces from the 50's until this summer, when I finally found enough parts to completely restore it, including an original celluloid tank. He said he always liked the engine because it was the only engine they had that would reliably start.

Brett

The Fox 35  shoots cranks  for all the reasons you listed, plus one of the most detrimental things to the FOX  is  heavy plastic props, matter of fact if you use a heavy prop with 15% nitro, that is almost a guarantee to launch  a crank !

maybe should have called me on the  OS parts, I have  NVA for 15 and up, maybe a few 10 and 09 ones, plus  I normally stock  parts for the  15  20  25  25 40 46,  I still have  1000s of parts  hundreds of  venturis and  NVAs  plus other parts , even though I do not have every parts

Randy

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
Some cast iron pistons will grow quite a bit. I have done quite a few Super Cyclone pistons by putting a piece of music wire in a vice, setting the piston on top, and heating it to a dull red with a butane torch. When I get most of it heated I grab the music wire with a pair of plyers and turn it upside down to drop it in to a fairly full can of used motor oil. I usually use a small coffee can and if you do not have enough oil it splatters out when you drop in the piston. I had one Super Cyclone I did that to  that has many hours of running on it now and still has great compression. Better than when it was new. I have tried others with no success. Just depends on the piston and if it was heat treated in the first place I think.
Jim Kraft

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »

maybe should have called me on the  OS parts, I have  NVA for 15 and up, maybe a few 10 and 09 ones, plus  I normally stock  parts for the  15  20  25  25 40 46,  I still have  1000s of parts  hundreds of  venturis and  NVAs  plus other parts , even though I do not have every parts

For the 1972 baffle-piston version? 

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »
       For the 1972 baffle-piston version? 

Brett

Yes  actually I still have  about a hundred parts for the OLD  OS 20   in stock now, still in the pack !!
Plus I think  I have  heads   cases  cranks  and most parts  less  the backplate
Randy

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
OK, with the meehanite piston what causes it to crack when heating, heating to hot (cherry red) or heating to fast (ala torch)?
Best,   DennisT

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
Most propably the uneven heating and cooling of that relatively brittle material makes it crack. And, it becomes more brittle during and after the overheating process.
In general I don't care what people do with their junk and if it gives some extra hours of running, good for them.
But if you want to keep the materials mechanical and tribological properties more or less unchanged, the critical 1000F temperature limit should be respected. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 08:27:05 PM »
OK, with the meehanite piston what causes it to crack when heating, heating to hot (cherry red) or heating to fast (ala torch)?
Best,   DennisT

Both, but cast iron has very poor heat conductivity and is also very brittle, so any sort of thermal gradient will stress it far more than say, aluminum.

Brett

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
 In the spectacular crank shooter engine category that I witnessed are.
1: Henry’s Fox 35 Speed engine at  Brodak. It spit out the crank out while warming up the engine in the pits.
2: O.S. 25 FP in a speed limit combat plane. It launched the crank while in the air.
3: Fox 35 Stunt in a speed limit combat plane. It spit out the crank after the prop kissed the ground while running.
4: Picco .050. My 1/2a combat plane, The engine turning 33000 rpm, launched the crank 3 laps after I got the kill on my  opponent.
5: Fox MkVI with Nelson P/L. It would brake the crank pin off while in the air racing in Warbird and the prop would spin like a pinwheel after the engine shut off. I broke 6 cranks in that engine and move to the MK VII.
6: Fox 36x B.B. cracked the crank at the counter weight after lean run melt down with 50% Nitro.
Al

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 09:04:29 PM »
Best,   DennisT

Fox  iron pistons are  very brittle  and  weak, should  need to know that

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
I have launched a few cranks too ,  G21 35  ,Fox 35  and Fox  36 , most notable was  I launched  3 cranks out of the  Testors McCoy  19s,  they were  very fast and great for  plain bearing 15-19  rat racing, just had to keep  a  supply of engines  around !

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here