News:

• May 17, 2024, 01:12:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow plug heat?  (Read 796 times)

Offline Allan Leonard

• A&P Mech
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Glow plug heat?
« on: June 21, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »
What physical property or manufacturing difference determines a glow plug as being hot medium or cold? The reason I'm asking is I believe I have received an order in which two cold plugs have been improperly packaged as hot.

Thanks
Al

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
Re: Glow plug heat?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
Great question. This is something I had thought about in the past, but never followed through with searching for the answer.

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 06:25:48 AM »
Hello
Hot plugs burn out faster then cool plugs and cool plugs cost more to make (the Enya cool (6) plug is twice as expensive as the hot (3) on the Enya web site).

Regards Gerald

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 01:40:39 PM »
Many things affect  plugs, Hot plugs are made  with a large bore, a thin wire element, and the content of which metals are in the wire, rhodium , is  one  that  makes for a hot plug
and depth, if you put a short or medium plug into engines that call for longs, the plug will  be  cooler than if it was set  to depth

Randy

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 04:29:17 AM »
Many things affect  plugs, Hot plugs are made  with a large bore, a thin wire element, and the content of which metals are in the wire, rhodium , is  one  that  makes for a hot plug
and depth, if you put a short or medium plug into engines that call for longs, the plug will  be  cooler than if it was set  to depth

Randy
Hello
Thanks Randy, that probably explains why OS medium length plugs are seen as 'colder' in other engines that need a genuine long plug to fill the hole.
Regards Gerald

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here