News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:46:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow Plug Going Bad way to soon!  (Read 941 times)

Online Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Glow Plug Going Bad way to soon!
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:37:53 PM »
I have installed an Enya 3 plug on my Enya 45 6001 and ran with it for about 3 months when after a reversed wingover the engine quit.

I took the plug out and was surprised to see that about two o three turns of the element was burned.

I fixed my plane and today I went flying again. This time with a brand new OS A3, made one flight and I flew level most of the flight because it was windy. After 30 min I decided to take off again, one flip and the engine started. It ran about 16 feet and died! Re-started and it fired up on the first flip, just to  ran for a while and quit all of sudden. Tried to fire up and it was hard to start and it was very irregular. I removed the new plug and it also was burned the first two turns of the element.

I made my fuel mixing  1/2 gallon of home made fuel with 1/2 gallon of 15% Cool Power to get  7,5% Nitro, 22% oil

Is it possible the Castor Oil I am using is causing this problem? Is there any test I can do to verify Castor Oil quality for our purpose?

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
Re: Glow Plug Going Bad way to soon!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 05:05:20 PM »
Hi Martin, I have no experience with the Enya plugs, but I would try a Sig 4cycle plug, this is what I use, or a Thunderbolt 4 cycle plug. If that doesnt work, try using a different fuel. 10% nitro with 1/2 synth,1/2 castor up to 22% total oil.Hope this helps.             

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:44:55 PM »
I can't imagine castor oil causing the problem you are describing. What are you using as a power source for the glow plugs.? You maybe subjecting the plugs to too much voltage. Have you recently change glow drivers?

I would also think that if the engine was running hot enough to "burn" the glow plug, you would have very obvious symptoms.

Added - Are the filaments broken or do they just look discolored? Also are you using  Armor All in the fuel?
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 08:52:01 PM »
Two things come to mind- too much voltage on the plug.  The other thing is a loose conrod bearings.  If the piston can slap up and down this will destroy a plug in very short order.
phil Cartier

Online Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 09:08:05 PM »
I use no Armor All. The fillament lite up and is blackend at the tip.

Starter is a Tower Hobbies AA with 1 2500Mh 1.2V Battery.

I am wondering if something in my fuel carbonize instantly when it hit the fillament.

Martin
ps I post one message befor this one and it didn't show, even after several screen refreshes, so I posted it again.

Online Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 09:17:34 PM »
Two things come to mind- too much voltage on the plug.  The other thing is a loose conrod bearings.  If the piston can slap up and down this will destroy a plug in very short order.

Engine had little use, and had new BB and Rings replaced by F. Bowman about 7 months ago. It doesn't feel there is any loose bearings.

One thing I should mentioned, I did replace the original Head with a Enya 45 6002 head, which is identical to a ST G21 46 and has less volume and thus create more compression. I did this after reading an aritcle on supercool props. The engine did perform better then with the original 6001 head.

Martin

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 10:03:03 PM »
Engine had little use, and had new BB and Rings replaced by F. Bowman about 7 months ago. It doesn't feel there is any loose bearings.

One thing I should mentioned, I did replace the original Head with a Enya 45 6002 head, which is identical to a ST G21 46 and has less volume and thus create more compression. I did this after reading an aritcle on supercool props. The engine did perform better then with the original 6001 head.

Martin

Maybe you have identified your problem. Try the original head again and see if this solves the glow plug butnouts. High compression can wreak havoc on plug elements. Then, if you need more power. decrease the compression ratio (with added head shims) while adding Nitro.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Online Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 06:40:20 AM »

Now I am confused, all the new OS A3 plugs I have will not lite up from the very start of the filament coil. But from the second turn on, Is that normal ?

something like that:
\\\\\\|

I also noticed that my Tower AA Glow Starter didn't have good battery contact. I extended the coil that pushes the battery inside and it start working much better.

Martin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here