News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:03:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glow element contamination  (Read 461 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Glow element contamination
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:57:58 AM »
 HB~>  I have been experiencing glow plug failures due to a white build-up on the element.  The engine begins to have erratic runs, and then won't hold a needle setting.  The element still heats, but the engine no longer runs right.

First, what is causing this?

Second, can the elements be cleaned back to shiney condition?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Alan Hahn

Re: Glow element contamination
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:50:57 AM »
Well if it makes you feel any better (and I am sure it won't!), I had the same issue with my 1/2A Norvels. As the element would "frost", you would need to lean the engine out to get an ok run (of course you didn't know why this was going on). As you would fly, the poor Norvel engine would begin to overheat, finally sagging down to a miserable (but long) run at ~1/2 power.

Only solution (except for one below) I had was to change plugs.

Norvel claimed that their engines ran cooler than others (presumably meaning Cox) and this cause "stuff" to plate out on the glow element. Certain fuels were alleged to work better--not having this "impurity". As I recall Cool Power and Omega were two of the ok fuels. They eventually came out with their own Norvel fuel, and I know guys who swear by it as working, and I have to agree that they don't seem to have the problem I had. I know other guys who use Sig fuel and also don't seem to have issues. I just know that I did and still do (I use Sig). I actually think Sig brewed the Norvel Fuel, so go figure.

My final solution was to go electric! y1

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Glow element contamination
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:33:13 PM »
one cause of buildup on the plug is to have the engine run hard and then go rich for several laps before it quits.  This has been quite a problem for combat folks using bladders.   You could see little lumps of deposits on the element.  White stuff is more likely some kind of ash(minerals) left from burning the oil.  Try soaking the plug in muriatic acid and then rinsing it clean with baking soda and water.(use gloves and glasses).  The acid may dissolve the coating.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here