News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glo Plug Wear  (Read 758 times)

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Glo Plug Wear
« on: June 24, 2008, 09:57:14 AM »
As a glo plug ages over a few hundred flights, what happens to its heat range?  Does it get hotter or colder?
Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Glo Plug Wear
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:54:45 AM »
I changed the plug in my Time Machine after 241 flights the first time, then just changed it again at flight 560 this past Sunday.  It makes a big difference in how the engine runs, now I have to go back to my logbook to see what nitro and needle setting I went to last time to get a good 4-2-4 run.  After 200 runs the motor run starts to sound a bit flat, and sometimes it makes a pop like a backfire in level flight.  I find I keep going up and up in nitro level on the very old plugs, and a bit in on the needle, but the engine stays in a rock steady 4-2-4.  Finally, after running great for so long,  it becomes unresponsive to the fuel and needle changes, plus my flying buddies start to cringe, saying they can hear the motor running rough out there.  Putting in a new plug really makes the engine crank, it seems to need alot less nitro and is a bit jumpy on the break for awhile-its easy to miss a setting and end up a teensy bit lean, compared to the old plugs where its almost impossible to make it too lean.
  This is a Sig 003 plug, I'm wondering if the heat range is a bit off on new plugs (too hot or too cold?) I'd love to find a plug that duplicates the fat rock steady 4-2-4 of an "aged" plug without running the risk of the engine quitting when the (old) plug finally dies.
  Oh, the motor is a DS-60 lite with 4 0.010 head shims, running between 12% nitro (new plug) and around 14% nitro (old plug).
Steve

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »
That is a good question.  I notice when you watch and old one on your battery it comes up to heat slowly compared to a bew one.  I suspect it is carbon deposits on the wire that cause this.  The lowest coil will be black.

Sometimes I get a little "wart" on the coil between the last curve and the plug itself.  When this gets large enough the run is horrid. I can knock off the little wart and get a few more flights but it is usually down on power like you say you notice. 

If is carbon build up the heat is having to go through the carbon thus cant get as hot like it could when it was clean and new.

Just my "speculation", I hope that doesnt drive the cost of plugs up......

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Eric Viglione

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:23:47 PM »
Aside from the typical RPM drop when you pull off the battery, which is more noticeable on 4-2 break settings than high RPM runs. On 4-2 break setups I do tend to notice inverted flight gets leaner on a tired plug also.

On the higher RPM setups, I notice that the run gets ratty. Burps or moments of silence during the pattern usually get my attention!  :X

Pulled a plug last week that was doing this on a piped PA61 and found a fair bit of carbon build up.
Changed the plug and the RPM came up quite a bit, like 700 RPM. So I turned the needle out to what I had been setting it at recently (9300) and got 5.8 second laps! Had to turn it back in to work with a new RPM range, (at 9650 I think?) to get the same lap times as the old tired plug (5.3 laps)

It was an Enya #3 and only had about 150 flights on it.

EricV

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:48:24 PM »
At least when the engine is new, I generally find that as I fly more flights, I tend to keep leaning out the engine as the plug ages. What I think is happening is that the element is being coated with "crud". As it gets more coated, the catalytic action of the element with the methanol (what helps keep it hot) diminishes. We tend to compensate by leaning out the mixture---that makes the combustion hotter so the glowplug lower efficiency matters a little less. Of course at some point the engine begins to overeat because it is simply running so lean that it can't dissipate the heat.
Changing the plug almost always allows a richer needle setting right away. The engine is happy, the plane is happy, and I'm happy! #^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here