News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:58:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel tank choice, plastic vs. metal?  (Read 721 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fuel tank choice, plastic vs. metal?
« on: May 13, 2023, 09:36:00 AM »
     Hello All:

This question surfaced during our last flying session.  My two mates have decided to replace their metal tanks with plastic tanks.  Their reasons were varied and they were determined to make the change.

What are your thoughts re making this change?

Stay well,

Frank

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Fuel tank choice, plastic vs. metal?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 09:42:24 AM »
My knowledge and experience is very limited but one of my observations is that with a plastic clunk tank uniflow set up you can adjust the effective height of the tank by simply rotating the the uniflow line from outside the tank so that the end of the line inside the tank moves up or down.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 11:47:42 AM »
Frank,
The main advantage of the plastic clunk tank is weight savings. Generally, the plastic tank is half the weight of a tin tank. Also they are cheap, available and you can change them out quickly.  The disadvantage is the capacity sizes are pretty big jumps and the dimensions are a little wider than we normally use for say a FOX 35/OS 40 FP and are 1/4" deeper. So you need to have room to get the tank centered. Yes, you can adjust the uniflow if you use a fixed uniflow tube but most successful setups tie the uniflow to the fuel pickup clunk so it follows the fuel in the tank and keep the run smooth. So if there is room in the fuse it's good, if you need a specific dimension or capacity not so good.

Best,  DennisT

Offline John Skukalek

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 12:58:54 PM »
Thanks for that information Dennis. I haven't tried the clunk tank uniflow setup where the uniflow line moves with the fuel pick up because of cautions against it that I have read on Stunt Hangar. I think the reason for the cautions had to do with resulting inflexibility of the combined pick and uniflow lines "unit". I'm interested in trying it. Would you be willing to share how you connect the two?

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 10:12:46 PM »
Seen referance to STAINLESS for a tank . No worries with Phosphoric based soldering acid .

How about CARBON tanks ?  VD~

CLUNKS , V popular here . Metal . Some sealed . The odd one a screw top from a can incorporated .

Its said you can derange them , Storing NOSE DOWN . The clunk can fall forward and kink the tube .
PERMANENTLY .
So the ideas to do otherwise , hang from leadouts or nose or store flat . But DONT hold the Nose Down & jump up & down . Ever .

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 10:14:18 PM »
  It's 6 of one , half a dozen of the other. Plusses and minuses for both.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 05:48:43 AM »
Hello I will use a plastic tank whenever I can find one with the right shape and the size I need otherwise that dreaded soldering iron comes out. For team race you have little option but to run metal and normally need to build yourself.  If you are very keen fiber glass and even  wooden tanks can be built but unless you run a diesel they will soften and break down in time.

Regards Gerald

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 10:06:11 AM »
     Hi again:

I think that their primary concern was the amount of foreign material that affects the needle valve setting.  It appears that metal tanks are more prone to do this.  Wether this is accurate or not, is open to debate.

Frank

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 07:27:06 PM »
The problem I have had with metal tanks is corrosion and other debris inside.  I never had this problem with the GRW tanks from years ago but whoever is making the metal tanks now must be using corrosive flux.  I was getting repeated filter clogs.  When I took the backplates off, one tank was completely rusted inside.  The other tank was partially rusted and there was other debris inside.  And, the uniflow line was not soldered to the fuel feed line.

With plastic tanks, I have had the neck split and the rubber stopper leak.  However, never a problem with debris or corrosion.

Take your pick.  Both work and both have problems of one kind or another.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here