News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:44:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel for Thought ?  (Read 454 times)

Offline Robin_Holden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fuel for Thought ?
« on: September 23, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
Greetings fellas from a stormy S.W.France.

Can any of our colleagues explain the following please .....

Went flying Saturday morning. Very little wind , nice ambient temp' and an empty flying field. It was Saturday morning !

Fired up my Magnum 36. Set up was an APC 10.5x4.5 prop' , a 'standard' muffler from an Evo 36 , and some new fuel with 20% lube' in total .....50% castor, 50% Klotz and 5% nitro.

The Magnum is normally dead reliable. This was a new fuel brew from a reliable source.

She would get to around 9,800 rpm then 'jump' to 10,500 as I was trying to set the needle to the new fuel brew. I couldn't get her to hold 10,100 approx' which is my launch rpm on this 'plane.

I switched to some typical 'RC' fuel I had with me. This had again 20% total lube , BUT was around 17% synthetic and 3% castor [ the castor was added by me ] and again 5% nitro.

The Magnum was fine and dandy. Set the needle at around 10,100 on my old tach' and off we went. She held the setting without a murmer.

So guys , is it 'true' you can have too much Castor in fuel ?
Maybe ABC type engines prefer more synthetic brews ?

As an aside , I also flew a 'plane with a TT36 on board using the first fuel  mentioned above [ the synthetic/klotz mix ].
This engine loved the castor/klotz mix.

The TT36 however had a tongue muffler with extra holes .
I was using a TT 11X4.5 prop' and launching at 9,100.

Maybe there is a correlation between a 'restictive' muffler versus a freer flowing more 'open' tongue muffler.
The Magnum having a 'restictive' muffler and the TT36 a free flowing one.

Did the Magnum with the 'restictive' muffler dislike the heavy castor fuel  ?

One for the engineers maybe ,

Any contributions much obliged ,

Regards ,

Robin [ we-pat Brit' in the Charente full of ex-pat Brits' ]

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Fuel for Thought ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:15:47 PM »
Interesting, but I suspect that the Magnum might not be fully broken-in. Mine (bought from Mike Haverly after he used it in his Oriental and the F'Twister) ran wonderfully on many gallons of Powermaster GMA 10-22 (11 castor, 11 synth)...we figured somewhere around 15-20 gallons before I gave the whole thing to Tim Wescott. Remember that the Magnum is real chromed bore, while the TT's (except Aero Tigers) are really ABN, whether the box says ABC or not. It will take longer for the Magnum to get loosened up. When I gave the plane/engine/lines to Tim, he flew 3 flights, with 4 flips required (my fault!). Still good compression!

I've avoided the TT's, simply because I think it's false advertising to call them ABC, when they are NOT. In short, they should have put "ABN" stickers over the ABC. They are listed in catalogs as ABC also, which is a direct result. The quality of the TT's is better than the Magnums, no question, and I've had enough time on ABN OS .46 that I'm not insurmountably opposed to ABN. I did finally get an Aero Tiger .36 from Randy Aero...so the box is finally correct!   H^^ Steve

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:41:21 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here