News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:42:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Filters  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Fuel Filters
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »
Hopefully most of you know the importance of putting a fuel filter on every airplane you fly. In my book I wouldn't think of having an airplane without a fuel filter between the tank and spray bar, to me it's as important as a good glow plug. junk gets into our fuel tanks, even if you clean things well and are careful you would be surprised by what can sneak in through a vent while you are flying. I've found bug parts, dandelion fuzz and other unidentifiable junk in my fuel filters all of which would have ended up in the needle valve resulting in crappy engine runs.

Now that I hope I've sold you on the importance of fuel filters, I discovered Master Airscrew filters some time ago (see photo) and have been using them every since. They are small enough to fit most any installation, priced right, made of plastic and weigh nothing.. They do have one little problem.. They tend to leak where the two plastic parts are put together. It's just a press fit and depending on the tolerances can be loose enough for an air leak.

My solution is to pull the filter slightly apart, run a bead of silicon gasket sealer around the edge, push it back together then wrap the whole thing with a short piece of heat shrink tubing. Once the heat shrink is shrunk it forms a tight seal plus eliminates any chance of it coming apart at an inappropriate time. The one on the left out of the package has been treated with my heat shrink trick.

These filters are available through Tower, Brodak and probably your local hobby shop..

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fuel Filters
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »
I always got those filters from Eric Rule at RSM Distribution.  At least they look like the same ones.  Maybe it's like the little metal take apart filters Melvin used to carry.  The guy doesn't make them any more, but, are now available else where.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline michael battley

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »
I prefer the Sullivan crap-trap filter, easy to see when it needs a clean or replacement, and the dual screens help maintain good fuel flow... http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=S187/102.0.329.337.0.0.0

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:18:26 AM »
     Both the master airscrew and Sullivan filters leak over tine, little tiny intermittent leaks that could drive Dr. Freud nuts.  You can seal them with clear shrink tubing over the filter and the fuel line on each end, but disassembly for cleaning is a problem.  Last I knew, John Brodak was having the former H&R threaded filters reproduced.  These are the best bet.  Tom H.

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:46:22 AM »
Fuel filters on planes create far more problems than they've ever prevented.  Filter your fuel before it goes in the tank.
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:34:26 AM »
Fuel filters on planes create far more problems than they've ever prevented.  Filter your fuel before it goes in the tank.

Your experiences sure must have been different than mine, I have a sealed fuelling system that never sees anything but what goes in the can and it's filtered before it goes in the tank. Even with that I trap junk in my engine filters that would surly make me have a bad day at a contest. Please tell us what problems fuel filters cause that I haven't addressed in my original post...

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:40 AM »
Your experiences sure must have been different than mine, I have a sealed fuelling system that never sees anything but what goes in the can and it's filtered before it goes in the tank. Even with that I trap junk in my engine filters that would surly make me have a bad day at a contest. Please tell us what problems fuel filters cause that I haven't addressed in my original post...

Filter leaks, fuel line/filter connection leaks, filter clogs caused by micro fiber accumulations that would otherwise flow thru the engine, reduced fuel suction draw caused by restrictive filter, and of course the inevitable putting a used filter in backwards.
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »
All  can say is I haven't had or seen any of the issues mentioned personally or at the field, cept for the leaking one which I solved. Have seen several over-lean runs because someone had junk in the needle or getting out to the flight line and not being able to adjust the engine.

In fact what prompted this post was a club member with a Aerotiger in a Vector all fueled up, on the circle and ready to go. Turning the needle was not changing a lean running engine, he had to shut it down, take the airplane off the lines, removed the cowl, disconnect the feed line, remove the needle and squirt fuel through the spray bar to clean out a piece of junk. He is now running a fuel filter and doubt we will see him out without one again..

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »
Even with filters they need to be checked once in a while.  Ask me how I know.  James flying my Original Magician with Brodak .25.  I have lost count of how many flights are on the combination.  About the sixth flight the plane was leaning out more and more.  The last flight he said he was tired and I couldn't get the engine to richen up.

Anyway, got home and cleaning up the planes and decided to check filters.  I mean it was put on the plane a year ago.  Also cleaning the OS 35FP that went straight into the mud.  The filter was full.  I don't even see how the engine even started.

But, on the blue filters, I put a copper wire tie around the ends to make sure it doesn't come apart.  Oh, by the way James filter was one of the little metal take aparts.  I also had one of the metal filters leak.  Found it by putting pressure on it with a shringe.  Tightened with pliers and problems solved on that plane. 

I have always sworn by filters, even when Perfect was only filters at the time.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »
  I strain my fuel into a clean container, that container has a Bronze "bottom sinker" filter in it and a large RC line filter just outside the can in the supply line that I draw fuel for  each  flight from and I STILL swear by in-line filters in/on the plane.  YOU CANNOT GET YOUR FUEL TOO CLEAN.  ALL my planes have filters. Anything that will plug up a filter will definitely cause needle setting problens  if you don't stop it at the filter.
  Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:49:54 PM »
    .......Last I knew, John Brodak was having the former H&R threaded filters reproduced.  These are the best bet.  Tom H.

Tom,
Do you know if the H&R type is the BH-935 "Brodak Fuel Filter", aluminum with 80-mesh screen?  From the picture in the catalog, it looks like the smallest threaded filter I've seen.  My Smoothie could use a filter that small, as it was obviously designed before fuel filters came into use. 

Thanks,
Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 06:23:05 AM »
Hi Kim - It's the same thing.  Rich Blatt, the R in H&R, was the original seller of these dandy little pieces.  They don't leak, have a fine screen and fit inside a cowl.  If you have an open engine installation, you might want to use a filter with a bigger screen to avoid cleaning as often.  Other than that, the little filters are standard for me.  Tom H.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 06:44:16 AM »
This is the filter you are talking about... They are really small and I have a couple of them in places the Master Airscrew is a little long to fit well. I have had these leak but discovered a copper washer from a glow plug makes a great gasket.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »
That looks just like the ones Melvin used to sell until he was told they were not being manufactured any more.  Pliers and prop/plug wrench cured the leak on mine.  Only thing now is after I tried to clean it I lost the wire screen.  It is in the shop somewhere.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 09:20:41 AM »

Oh, good Lord! I agree that you should filter the fuel as it comes out of the can because you can pick up crud from handling, but I would NEVER EVER fly without a fuel filter *in the airplane*. Of course you can have the occasional problem with a filter (mostly, leaking air) but that's a tiny fraction of the problems with crud getting into the fuel. If nothing else it catches the bug parts that go into the intake, or residual carbon or epoxy bits that get into the tank through a pressure line, or whatever the tiny threads that somehow get into the tank. With the little filters as sold by Dave Shadel there's no excuse for not using one, they are no larger than the fuel tubing. If someone is worried about them leaking, use silicone sealant on the threads.

I would also note that unless you are using some off-brand of fuel, there is *little or nothing* by way of contamination in the fuel as it comes from the factory. After on the order of hundreds of gallons of SIG and Powermaster all through several filters in the extraction path, I have never found so much as a *speck* of anything in any one of the progressively finer filters in my fuel can "up" line. Filtering the fuel before use by decanting from can to can is only going to cause an issue.

I also recommend this fuel can fitting:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXRS88&P=8

It's aluminum and plastic, no brass to fall apart from corrosion, and it's entirely air-tight because the aluminum "probe" seats in an o-ring. Leave it in the car, and if the fuel heats up, it will hold the pressure so the fuel doesn't "breathe".

I have two filters in my airplane - one in the fuel line (usually a Sullivan Crap Trap, but if it's tight, a Shadel filter) and one in the pipe pressure line to keep pipe debris out of the tank.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
All  can say is I haven't had or seen any of the issues mentioned personally or at the field, cept for the leaking one which I solved. Have seen several over-lean runs because someone had junk in the needle or getting out to the flight line and not being able to adjust the engine.

In fact what prompted this post was a club member with a Aerotiger in a Vector all fueled up, on the circle and ready to go. Turning the needle was not changing a lean running engine, he had to shut it down, take the airplane off the lines, removed the cowl, disconnect the feed line, remove the needle and squirt fuel through the spray bar to clean out a piece of junk. He is now running a fuel filter and doubt we will see him out without one again..

As an aside, just squirting fuel/acetone/whatever through the spraybar is a good idea, but sometimes not enough. The little thread/fuzz that gets in there can sometimes survive a flush. I always use the little bottle brushes in the Sullivan kit, too, and that will get just about everything that might be in there.

The threads/fibers are absolutely evil - it doesn't block anything, so it's not obviously a contamination problem, just weird inconsistent runs as the thread hanging out the spray bar or spigot causes the fuel to atomize differently from moment to moment. And they are just about invisible. The brush will get them out.

Brett

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »
That looks just like the ones Melvin used to sell until he was told they were not being manufactured any more.  Pliers and prop/plug wrench cured the leak on mine.  Only thing now is after I tried to clean it I lost the wire screen.  It is in the shop somewhere.  DOC Holliday

Ya... I have an RO-Jett filter I lost the screen out of.. Not sure why I'm hanging on to it, pretty much worthless without the screen. Finding a screen much less figuring out how to cut it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »
I had some interesting problems with Sullivan Crap Trap filters, although I don't think the filter type was really the problem.  What appeared to happening was that the fuel would precipitate what must be very tiny globs of jelly like material, it was totally invisible.  This stuff would build up on the filter in between flying sessions and then start to come out of the filter and plug the NVA during flight.  I could not see anything in the fuel, filter, or NVA, but after opening the needle valve, flushing it, and trying again, the motor would run fine at exactly the same old setting.  Eliminating the filter pretty much solved the problem, but I've now taken to flushing out the fuel line and needle valve with air after flying.
phil Cartier

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »
I had some interesting problems with Sullivan Crap Trap filters, although I don't think the filter type was really the problem.  What appeared to happening was that the fuel would precipitate what must be very tiny globs of jelly like material, it was totally invisible.  This stuff would build up on the filter in between flying sessions and then start to come out of the filter and plug the NVA during flight.  I could not see anything in the fuel, filter, or NVA, but after opening the needle valve, flushing it, and trying again, the motor would run fine at exactly the same old setting.  Eliminating the filter pretty much solved the problem, but I've now taken to flushing out the fuel line and needle valve with air after flying.

I think all you are seeing are things the Sullivan filter caught, and the others didn't. I have seen the "clear globs" in fuel jugs during the "bad castor scare" and the "1995 SIG Fuel Disaster NATS". I don't know what it is for sure, but it stopped showing up in my fuel in the late 90's . If it's the same thing, I don't think you are helping yourself by letting it through - we had a bunch of bad runs and a few ruined connecting rods when trying to use fuel with the clear globs.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 05:44:59 PM »
Filter leaks, fuel line/filter connection leaks, filter clogs caused by micro fiber accumulations that would otherwise flow thru the engine, reduced fuel suction draw caused by restrictive filter, and of course the inevitable putting a used filter in backwards.

I agree Clayton, filters were always the cause of more problems than they were worth for me also, none of my planes have filters on them, but I do filter my fuel going into the tank.

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
I tracked down Dave Shadel following Brett's recommendation of his very small fuel filters.  I found him listed in the PAMPA membership directory and emailed him.  Here is his reply:

"I'm the right guy.  The bad part is that the filters aren't available right now since the co. that was making them went out of business,  I'm making the parts now to supply these again.  They should be available in about 4 weeks or so.  Check the website, www dot pspec dot com (Performance Specialties--primarily RC Pylon Racing supplies).  When we have them again, you can order them online.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Dave"

Hope this helps,
Kim
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 06:44:58 PM by Kim Mortimore »
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 10:54:39 PM »
I tracked down Dave Shadel following Brett's recommendation of his very small fuel filters.  I found him listed in the PAMPA membership directory and emailed him.  Here is his reply:

"I'm the right guy.  The bad part is that the filters aren't available right now since the co. that was making them went out of business,  I'm making the parts now to supply these again.  They should be available in about 4 weeks or so.  Check the website, www dot pspec dot com (Performance Specialties--primarily RC Pylon Racing supplies).  When we have them again, you can order them online.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Dave"

Hope this helps,
Kim

Try Richard Oliver or Dubb Jett, they had them last I checked.

Brett

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 12:35:23 AM »
I use the Sullivan Crap Trap filters but a chance discovery on a web page showed me that they should only be fitted one way because of having two different sized meshes.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
I use the Sullivan Crap Trap filters but a chance discovery on a web page showed me that they should only be fitted one way because of having two different sized meshes.

Naturally -  the coarse one should be upstream.

Brett

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:23 PM »
Hopefully most of you know the importance of putting a fuel filter on every airplane you fly. In my book I wouldn't think of having an airplane without a fuel filter between the tank and spray bar, to me it's as important as a good glow plug. junk gets into our fuel tanks, even if you clean things well and are careful you would be surprised by what can sneak in through a vent while you are flying. I've found bug parts, dandelion fuzz and other unidentifiable junk in my fuel filters all of which would have ended up in the needle valve resulting in crappy engine runs.

Now that I hope I've sold you on the importance of fuel filters, I discovered Master Airscrew filters some time ago (see photo) and have been using them every since. They are small enough to fit most any installation, priced right, made of plastic and weigh nothing.. They do have one little problem.. They tend to leak where the two plastic parts are put together. It's just a press fit and depending on the tolerances can be loose enough for an air leak.

My solution is to pull the filter slightly apart, run a bead of silicon gasket sealer around the edge, push it back together then wrap the whole thing with a short piece of heat shrink tubing. Once the heat shrink is shrunk it forms a tight seal plus eliminates any chance of it coming apart at an inappropriate time. The one on the left out of the package has been treated with my heat shrink trick.

These filters are available through Tower, Brodak and probably your local hobby shop..

Before I use the Master Airscrew filters I pull them apart and put Canopy Cement around the outside diameter of the piece that fits inside the larger half.  The canopy cement bonds them together permanantly.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:27:38 PM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 02:03:25 AM »
Hi

I recommend the Du-Bro Final filter, I never had any problems with them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD742&P=7

regards
Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »
I recommend the Du-Bro Final filter, I never had any problems with them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD742&P=7

These are pretty notorious for leaking air where the plastic insert goes into the metal part. I have seen a bunch of them that just came apart in flight.  If you crimp the aluminum "can" to keep the filter element in, and then pour epoxy around the joint to seal it up, they are OK. They're huge but that's OK if you have the space.

Brett

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »
Gentlemen,
Aside from the fact that clean fuel is the only way to maintain a good engine run. The method by which you arrive there is entirely a different matter. Filters come in a variety of sizes and materials and meshes. Those of us that following the F2C genre of our hobby are just short of fanatical about the cleaniness of fuel and have found what works best for us doing fuel transfer in large lots, for us that is a quart, is your everyday good quality coffee filter using them two or three at a time. For the smaller amounts that which goes into the tank a automotive type clear plastic housing with a paper filter inside is the best we have found so far. Having a filter inline only adds weigh and may cause one to be DQ'ed for having too much fuel in the tank. That's based on the cost and the fuel flow volume going into the tank, as we are usually in a bit of a hurry when fueling during a pit stop. The real trick there is to see if you can get the plane fueled and started before the vented overflow hit the ground  ;D 

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 11:14:28 AM »

HI
The crap traps have the filter cones in a dome shape and force the debris to the outer edge and trap it there.
I have all of the filters mentioned here, and  more, I use the crap traps, they do not leak like many shown, do not crack or split, and are very easy to clean, and you can see if they are full, plus they hold way more than the other filters if they have too.
There was a few that said they had troubles with leaks on the  20 years or so ago, but I have never seen that.
It is easy to tell, if you can spin the ends, the filter may leak, just shrink the clear tubing with a heat gun. Other advantage is the are not much bigger diameter than the fuel tubing and will fit most any plane

Randy

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »
Randy and I have argued this point for years. I have replaced 3 crap trap "leakers" (one on a world class flyers ship) and solved problems. Personally, I use the H&R type filter for years (and years). When I bought several dozen of them I also bought extra filter screens from Richie. Solves that problem! Maybe Brodak sells the screens as well? Secondly, I always give a new filter a "tweak" to tighten it up a bit. I always get about an eighth, to a quarter of a turn on them. Thirdly, using my Dremel, I engrave a tiny arrow on them showing the fuel flow direction.

On board filters can solve two other problems...I once purchased a fuel tank from a reliable manufacturer that had been overheated when soldered. Apparently this caused the tin plating to burn off the steel of the tank and fall inside. It was loaded with dusty ash from new! I love my filters! And as Randy says, "I never saw a bubble pass through a filter screen!"

BTW, Brett's pressure line filter is a good idea too.

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »
Randy and I have argued this point for years. I have replaced 3 crap trap "leakers" (one on a world class flyers ship) and solved problems.

I have seen exactly two leakers over the 25 years or so they have been around. The most interesting was on Bruce Perry's PA40 at the 1995 NATS. He was having all sort of problems with inconsistent runs, etc. And that was when we we also having all sorts of problems with SIG fuel, which confused the issue considerably - David's PA40 wore out a connecting rod during the week apparently due to fuel problems, I was having all sorts of funnies, etc. At any rate, about half the week went by with us monkeying with the pipe length, sealing the header joint, leak-testing pipes. Finally, Bruce put the airplane in his much-maligned "R/C Stand". This is the full R/C "Club dork" toolbox, with deployable legs, a thing to hold your fuselage while you adjust the reeds, change tubes in the receiver, or whatever RC guys do. And all the stickers, too. Eventually he decided to fire it up with it in the stand, upside down, with the cowl off. About 5 seconds into the run, sure enough, a stream of bubbles in the crap trap. Pull it out, and when they were pushing the end fitting into the tubing, part of the tubing folded under, causing a leak. Replaced it with a new one straight out of my tool box, everything works.

But that was one issue over thousands of flights. If you have a problem, check the filter. But the number of problems caused by not having a filter are so huge and pervasive that I stick with my recommendation to never fly without one. I like the crap trap because it's relatively small, hard to clog , but still offers superior filtering. The two elements also seem to catch the fibers better than a single-element filter. The Dave Shadel filters are good if you have a very tight installation but the filter area is tiny and thus much more prone to clogging.  Any of the screw-together types are prone to leaking (much more likely than the crap trap) but that's a problem that can be dealt with.

Brett

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »
How many leaking crap traps in this post alone?

w
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »

A tiny fraction of all those used. They are the best filter currently available. 

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »
The Skylark I flew at VSC (4th owner?) had a tiny filter in it that I'd never seen before. I asked, and somebody said it was a RO-Jett filter. I was removing the .40FP and installing a .46LA, and it didn't take me much thought to put in a Crap Trap. It's still there, has given no problems at all. The tiny filter, whatever it is, resides in my field box, ready to loan to Ward-O when he comes to one of our contests.

When I got my 2Star .60bb (from Hawk Hawkins), I looked at the NV Assy. with the little 'banjo' fitting and immediately put in a Randy Aero unit. "Cute" isn't always practical. K.I.S.S. is usually good stuff.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
The Skylark I flew at VSC (4th owner?) had a tiny filter in it that I'd never seen before. I asked, and somebody said it was a RO-Jett filter. I was removing the .40FP and installing a .46LA, and it didn't take me much thought to put in a Crap Trap. It's still there, has given no problems at all. The tiny filter, whatever it is, resides in my field box, ready to loan to Ward-O when he comes to one of our contests.

That's the same as the filter Dave Shadel sells. Very tiny indeed, tiny filter medium (something like 3/16" diameter little chip of mesh). Like all screw-together filters it's prone to leaking around the threads, but still very useful if you have a small space.

Everybody knows that that the screw-together types also have a right and wrong direction, right? The part with the male threads is the inlet end.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »
Using paper coffee filters to decant fuel from the "jug" isn't very satisfactory.  The fuel only drips very slowly through the filter, and I end up with fuel all over the bench top!

I have lots of silk covering material.  Is that too coarse to do the job?

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »

w

An incredible TINY TINY fraction of those out there, and  WAY WAY less  than the  plastic pushed together or screw together filter,
You really have to abuse a crap trap to make them leak. I know about 40 people I sell them to that simply have ZERO problem with the Crap traps, plus they will hold ten times more than what it takes to stop up one of the tiny screw together filter.
If you have a leak in a crap trap 99% of the time you can just heat the tubing to reshrink it back onto the metal fitting. I have not had to do that in over 25 years now.
I have seen leaking filters for decades, almost every time I see one it is a screw or push together filter.
The little tiny screw together one people are talking about was made by John at Jayson Headers, he is now out of business. There is a chance Dubb Jett  will  make these now.
AS alway  use  what works for you, and what you are comfortable with.

Regards
Randy

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 05:54:08 PM »
A side benefit of the crap trap filter is after your done with it donate it to one of us poor combat fliers.The ends make real nice bladder connections.

Every time I get crud in the needle valve the filters go on.Soon as one leaks they come off.Either way I have something to blame for a crappy run.

Brad

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »
Using paper coffee filters to decant fuel from the "jug" isn't very satisfactory.  The fuel only drips very slowly through the filter, and I end up with fuel all over the bench top!

I have lots of silk covering material.  Is that too coarse to do the job?

Aye carumba,  silk as a fuel filter. Billions of silkworms are spinning in their cocoons!

Just don't filter it at all.  Decanting it can only ADD stuff, not subtract it, if you use a quality fuel. Use a filter/filters in the "up" line of the fuel can fittings so you run it through ever finer filters as you draw it out of the can. I use the plastic Du-Bro can fittings. The pickup has a pretty coarse filter in the pickup. I then run it through a "Russkie" filter I got from Dirty Dan, then through a Crap-trap, then out the can. As I mentioned earlier, I *never* found more than the tiniest specks of matter and the occasional bit of fuzz.

If you use a ketchup pump, then put a huge automotive filter on the outlet end, that will catch whatever comes out.

Brett

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
       I know this probably sounds frugal, but I've found a replacement filter for those metal filters as pictured above. I had a hard time finding those filters initially. I can't tell you how many times I blew the screen out and onto the grass never to be found again. At one point I owned more filters without screens than ones with. I kept them hopefully to find a replacement some day. Then I came across the Cox red top and fuel line that you were to put onte the top of the can to dispense fuel. For the 1/2 A people the tubing is the same as what is in the integral tanks and the screen which is easily removeable fits into that metal filter. Ken

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »
I have three filters on the output of my ketchup pump: a lawnmower filter I got at the car parts store, a Dirty Dan Russian filter, and a little one like Bob shows above.  I probably got it from Melvin.  I gotta flush the little one every few tankfuls, so there is jive coming from somewhere.  It may be coming from the paper lawnmower filter, but my environment is saturated with cat hair, so it could well be cat hair.  I have a skinny filter I got from Dub Jett in the airplane.  I had to flush it a few times recently when I installed a new metal tank.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
What about an Air filter on the vent?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 09:28:42 PM »
Air Filter...a perfect use for one of the Master Airscrew (plastic push-together type, weigh almost nothin'), grafted on with a short piece of fuel hose. Keep the bugs and seeds and grass clippings out of the fuel system.  :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I didn't trust crap traps (I don't know why), but, given your advice, I bought some.  They don't call them crap traps anymore, by the way.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here