News:

• May 13, 2024, 07:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FP40 in a Primary Force  (Read 797 times)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FP40 in a Primary Force
« on: March 28, 2007, 02:31:10 AM »
Easing up in the weather allowed me to get a Primary Force going. The FP40 that ran a consistent fat two stroke on a Twister was less hospitable on the PF. Running half a tank than going lean overpowering the plane. Engine was set up in Philly Flyer mode. Extra head gasket, 10.5x4.5 apc, Powermaster 5%, 22%, .283 venturi, OS needlevalve, Enya #3 plug, free flowing tongue muffler. These were initial runs of engine in a new plane. I'm running a non-uniflo tank on muffler pressure. Many options to improve the run. First off, richen needle. Since non-uniflo tanks lean out during flight, it is possible that starting richer would have put the engine into a happy and useful mode. Uniflo tank may have reduced the effect of head change keeping the initial needle setting throughout flight. I put in another head gasket. Problem solved. Much wider adjustment in needle. It was easy to tune in a rich setting that leaned out gradually during flight, providing more power for the later shapes.

Observations: 1. moving engine from one plane to another can require a new round of tuning. (Different vibration characteristics, difference in load on engine etc.) 2. An extra head gasket (making for three total in this engine) softens the power characteristic, reining in runaway.

I'm satisfied with the way the engine runs. Fat 2 stroke that leans gradually, never over lean, no runaway. Same power upright and inverted. I'll probably try a uniflo tank on muffler pressure and atmospheric pressure. RSM has taken over the GRW tank line. Good metal tanks. Will try a uniflo version of the standard vent GRW tank I'm using now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 03:12:52 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: FP40 in a Primary Force
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 12:09:38 PM »
Dennis,

Those are good observations. I've experienced this and even had it be more strange. I moved a Saito 56 setup (complete tank, engine, prop, filter, the works) for one plane to another of the same design and of close to the same weight. In the first plane it worked very, very well. The setup didn't work well at all in the second plane. After changing tank design and prop along with a somewhat smaller venturi, the whole thing came together again.

Weird how that works.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here