News:

• May 05, 2024, 02:43:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FP 40, Does adding a head shim help tame the run away?  (Read 9240 times)

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: FP 40, Does adding a head shim help tame the run away?
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 01:51:43 PM »
Dennis, at some point you need to break down and get a true stunt engine.  You have no idea what you are missing.... y1
Steve

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »
I used to prop mine so they can run away all they want yet still a usable speed for stunt.

I used stock motor, stock OS CL muffler maybe just cut off the end a little to open it just a tad.

Then use some junky Omega 10% rc fuel 18% oil synthetic and an APC 11x3 set with just a 2s beep on the ground.  It would run 2/2 everywhere with just a small slower beep on the upwind side. 

It worked well, speed was the same everywhere it went.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 03:44:58 PM »
Not enough time these days. And bad weather. Went like that last season. Having the bellcrank pull out of my best flying plane didn't help. The big PAs work great. But I am flying 40 sized planes at the moment. Most of them profiles. I have not had good luck with the ARF Vectors. Very slow handling. I have an ARC half done and will check cg and control ratios thoroughly. This could help. For years I thought it was me. Terrible corners. Then a light profile with a Tower40 flew so much better. At least with me wiggling. With all do respect engine worked very well. At Huntersville I was flying what I had left to fly. An eight year old Galaxy that had been through the wars. The FP40 suddenly started acting up. Turned out to be the nipple on the tongue muffler was loose. It would seal decently on the ground, but when up in the air it would leak and stop feeding air to the uniflo, resulting in instant lean mixture. Tricky to diagnose, easy once the nipple screwed itself out all the way. But the Galaxy was never the most solid profile mount for an engine. Always suffered some from a weird profile vibe. I usually ran the plane balls out. Not trying for a decent 2/2 run. The plane itself something of a liability to be sure when up against the sophisticated stuff in Advanced. My plan is to build a 40 sized full body with moments similar to the plane that worked for me as a profile. Will an aerotigre costing $250 or an even more dedicated stunt engine be appropriate and that much of an advantage. Could be. And I am willing to take a shot at that when I've better planes on which to mount them. Sure. I am as well considering a full sized stunt war wagon with a PA61, something like that. My run around to contests car is a Honda Civic. Not much room for a 60 sized stunt plane. I have of course my 1980 Malibu wagon. No air. For years I drove to Brodak with a gallon jug of water beside me. My sweat soaked back a joke enjoyed by all of us in our club. But. Now. Over 65, I have come to depend on air, a good car stereo, even blue tooth.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 01:28:23 AM »
Is there any difference in the consumption of fuel with smaller venturi?  How many ounces for an acceptably long run and what nitro percentage?

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »
Smaller venturis consume less fuel, all things being equal. Depends on fuel, needle setting, prop, weight and drag of the plane and ambient temp, perhaps even barometric pressure. Running a large vanturi with a free flowing muffler and a prop similar to an apc 101/2x41/2, I have seen a nice Gieseke Nobler do the pattern needing 4 1/2 ounces when there was a chill in the air. This using Powermast 5%, 22% (50/50). In the heat of the summer the consumption fell to a hair bellow 4 ounces. Definitely true for this plane. Since early in the season, when practicing, my friend had to cut the pattern a bit short with a 4 ounce tank. When temps hit 70 and above, not a problem. Some of my best running profiles needed similar amounts of fuel when I used a large venturi. These days I use .272 and smaller venturis. .272 is midway between the small, .257 (kinda) and the large .283. I often use less than 3.75 ounces when set up like this.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here