News:

• May 22, 2024, 08:06:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox35 muffler  (Read 735 times)

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fox35 muffler
« on: February 12, 2007, 04:34:25 PM »
I just got a fox 35 with a muffler..used to fly them years ago..question is: how does the muffler affect the motor in power output and in engine breakin {its a 40 ann. edition brand new } ??..regards, Bob ??? ??? ???

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Fox35 muffler
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 06:31:14 PM »
  I have run them with no noticable difference in power.  I run 10 X 5 APC props, deflashed and balanced and 7 1/2 % nitro and 29 % oil.
  (24%castor, 5 % Klotz).  I would imagine that if you run them at a dead lean seyying, you might see a more pronounced difference between no muffler and a stock one.  But I run my engines in a hard four cycle setting.  I generally use the muffler(s) to obtain the C G location rather than lead. is  Some tongue mufflers are around0.5 oz and the stock one is a full ounce heavier and there are others in between.  I also use spinners likewise.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:41:12 AM »
As to using the muffler during break-in, I bought a 50th Anniversary a couple of years ago, and wondered about removing the muffler for the run-in.  I emailed Fox and was told that they recommend using the muffler.  FWIW.  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:23:17 AM »
Here is the muffler I used to run on Fox 35's back when people would ask me if it was an St 46.  World's smallest and least effective muffler.  The case it is shown on is not drilled and tapped for the mounting bolts. 

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »
How well did the plate muffler work as far as noise canceling, power output? could you show mor detail ? I would like to try that one.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 11:48:46 AM »
So far as noise abatement, I doubt it did anything.  My idea was to get muffler pressure for the uniflow.  The cut out portion at the rear of the plate is bent into the exhaust to make a little pocket for the pressure tap to draw from.  It did provide noticeable pressure and my stuff ran fine.  I don't think there was any loss of power. 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here