News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fox hemi head  (Read 1439 times)

Offline old fart

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
fox hemi head
« on: February 12, 2006, 11:55:55 AM »
hi randy: what is diferance between foxs head and your hi zoot head. compression ratio  , chamber shape,plug location,ect. why is yours better?and why so proformance wise? ??? ???
RON SMITH

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: fox hemi head
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:38:43 AM »
Hello OF

My Smith hemi head has ran better in my opinion than any other I have ever ran.
The features of it are:
A- 1 piece as opposed to a 2 piece head, this makes for better heat transfer and stops the possibility of having the button turn and contacting the piston. I have seen this many times.

B- The FOX runs hot when your trying to get power out of it, The SHH has deeper cooling fins and also has extra fins cut around the outside edge of the head, this allows for more power and a faster dispation of the heat.

C- All of the SHH have a heat dam cut around the Glo plug to insult the heat in the plug , we need to run hot plugs to run a 4-2 cycle. The heat dam keeps the plug cleaner in the transitions and  helps greatly in making the "burp" less pronounced , or in many cases stopping it.

D-  The inside chamber is a hemi design that has just a small increase in compression over the stock one. It runs as smooth as possible while increasing 4 cycle power.

E- The Glo Plug is offset toward the exhaust side to help keep the plug a little hotter and cleaner. element end is canted back toward the center, Sort of like the way  the old FOX 36 X  was.

There are many hundreds if not now over a 1000 of FOXes running this head
All of the ones I have sold use this head , and  1oos of the Larry Foster Fox 35s  were sent with this  head  also.
I would suggest also asking anyone , who has one, how they like it.

Maybe others who have ran these will chime in here  also

Regards
Randy

Offline old fart

• ACE
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:55:11 AM »
RANDY ; THE HEAT DAM YOU SPEAK OF, IS THIS SOMETHING LIKE THE SMALL RING AROUND THE GLOWPLUG ON THE OLD  "ranger "head of early fox production,which wasof a low compression ratio ,both i and afriend of mine have run these heads with good results,we are able to get a nice 2x4 brake  and no problem with the infamous fox burp,granted,most of  ourships are full fuce with upright or inverted engines but  ialso have afew profil ships, never had this "burp"every one talks about ??? ??? ???
RON SMITH

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 07:14:18 PM »
Hi OF

I am not sure I have seen a "ranger head"  so I can't answer your question.

Randy

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »
Ron - The heat dam is Randy's way to keep the plug hot.  Its a round groove cut from the top of the head down to about half of the thread depth of the plug, prevents the heat from being conducted away from the plug to the fins and dissipated.  An intentional hot spot, right at the plug.

Rand - A ranger head is the first 6 bolt head, almost flat across the chamber, with a slight lip, maybe .040 deep, at the exhaust and intake sides of the head.  Runs like a hemi.  The ranger name comes from the jobshop foundry which cast them.  It has a little tiny Ranger logo cast in raised script inside the head.  Worth using if you find one, but unfortunately not distinguishable externally from the fox wedge.

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 09:43:37 PM »
I just got a Smith Hemi Head and don't see what the heat dam is described as. What should I be looking for? Also, what glow plug works well with this head? Any other tips?

Thanks,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 06:32:41 AM »
I use a Thunderbolt hot plug.  No problems.  I get mine from Randy.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 09:19:24 AM »
I just got a Smith Hemi Head and don't see what the heat dam is described as. What should I be looking for? Also, what glow plug works well with this head? Any other tips?

Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken

You can use the
T Bolt RC long
Fox RC long
Fox Miricle plug
Glo Devil #300
Sig  RC long
Enya #3

there are quite a few plugs that work with the FOX 35, you don't  need  a  special plug to work with the head,  just the same  ones that work with any FOX  will work with the  Hemi head. most will work better because  teh offset  design  helps keep the plug hotter, resulting in a  cleaner  run

Regards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here