News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:31:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox head screws  (Read 804 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox head screws
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »
 I went through my "miscellaneous" engine box last weekend, making sure they were all freed up, and found my dad's old Fox 35 that was last run (by me) on Fox Superfuel in about 1978 - and put up without oiling. Of course it was hopelessly gummed up and couldn't be turned over. In disassembling it, I found that the Vessel JIS #1 crosshead screwdriver was a PERFECT, and I mean perfect, fit. Much better than any of my conventional Craftsman/Williams/SK Phillips-heads, and the Proto Phillips-head that Duke himself recommended. Popped them out with no issue whatsoever, and much better fit overall. With that, the screws are perfectly acceptable as they came - unlike all previous attempts that quickly stripped out the cross, leading me to replace the other engines with Allen-head screws.

The other thing I discovered was that I have *way too much stuff*, but this was not a startling revelation.

Brett

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Re: Fox head screws
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 11:13:16 PM »
Hello Brett
Thanks for that tip only recently got my first set of JIS drivers and I'm sure I have avoided striping heads on my Enya and OS engines and it's good to know they will help with my old Fox's too. With gasket/screw sets getting harder to find you have to be careful.
My two sons are now using a lot of my old gear up including old models which is satisfying. They had a great day flying a Fox 35 on an old combat wing today on a rather windy day when many wouldn't fly because of the conditions. 
 Regards Gerald  :)!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:01:59 AM by GERALD WIMMER »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Fox head screws
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »
Hello Brett
Thanks for that tip only recently got my first set of JIS drivers and I'm sure I have avoided striping heads on my Enya and OS engines and it's good to know they will help with my old Fox's too. With gasket/screw sets getting harder to find you have to be careful.
My two sons are now using a lot of my old gear up including old models which is satisfying. They had a great day flying a Fox 35 on an old combat wing today on a rather windy day when many wouldn't fly because of the conditions. 
 Regards Gerald  :)!

I just got several of these, seem just fine, although the backplate gasket is a very tight fit on my stuffer backplate:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOX-35-GASKET-SET-AND-ALLEN-TYPE-SCREW-SET-NIP/292605477608?hash=item4420a542e8:g:VFsAAOSw1WJZEehZ

Although to be honest, I have had no issues whatsoever with silicone gasket maker, and you can get screws for much less almost anywhere:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#fillister-head-screws/=1dmke4k

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here