News:

• April 25, 2024, 11:16:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox engine manufacturing video  (Read 1498 times)

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
Fox engine manufacturing video
« on: July 03, 2018, 07:58:39 PM »
Hello
Mecoa has posted an old video of Fox Manufacturing in 1992 . The video is in two parts and is interesting from a historic perspective but be warned it is not the best viewing for 'entertainment' and some may find it shocking if they have not worked in a factory before . The camera man is not welcomed by all and it was taken a day after Duke Fox's passing but it reflects the era very well.

pt 2

PS I worked part time at an engine re-conditioners from age 11 and worked in a machine shop making winches as a teenager so the 'routine' still seems very familiar . I was an agent for Fox motors here in New Zealand in the 1990's too briefly.
Regards Gerald

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Re: Fox engine manufacturing video
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:45:13 AM »
Thanks, Gerald. That's a lot more work going on than I would've imagined.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
Hello
Mecoa has posted an old video of Fox Manufacturing in 1992 . The video is in two parts and is interesting from a historic perspective but be warned it is not the best viewing for 'entertainment' and some may find it shocking if they have not worked in a factory before . The camera man is not welcomed by all and it was taken a day after Duke Fox's passing but it reflects the era very well.

It is very interesting and I don't see the "shocking" parts (although I just skimmed it). Maybe the part that no one would have expected is that  there isn't some huge line of machines cranking out parts on an automated assembly line. Talk "factory" and you think of a big building with smokestacks and looking like a Bugs Bunny cartoon*. This is the reality - small batches of maybe 25-100, production set up with jigs on manual machines, assembled, then sold off over years. A few days of production of a 45BB, and switch to a 35 Stunt, knock out 100 of them over a few days, then on to the next group (whichever engine you are getting low on stock).

I can't tell for sure, but I would guess that most of the activity you see was associated with other manufacturing, not model engines, because the model engine business hasn't been the majority of the Fox output for many decades. As far as I know, they are still in business with contracted machine work, just not model engines (where they can't make any money for a variety of reasons).

Brett

p.s. * https://archive.org/details/Powerhouse_657
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:22:08 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
    It is very interesting and I don't see the "shocking" parts (although I just skimmed it).

Hello Brett

I admit my wording was probably a bit sensationalist but with most young folk these days they have no idea how things are or were made.  My sons were surprised and captivated, particularly as I was able to explain the processes to them from my own experience in a similar sized machine shop as a youth. It was not easy work in a cushy office (had some of those jobs too)!
Back in 1992 was about the time I was importing and trying to sell Fox control line engines and most people just wanted the 35 Stunt and spares for their old Fox engines.
If you watch all the first video you will catch the threats to smash his camera but these were treated in jest, but there is a tension and Randy comments that some workers do not want to be filmed.
I know that Fox worked on real money earning  stuff for the military and general engineering like PAW in England. Fox Manufacturing was acquired by MECOA K&B Mfg in February 2017 and has moved to Irwindale, California. See

http://www.foxmodelmotors.com/foxqualityaero.htm

There old premises on 5305 Towsan Avenue appear vacant now:
https://goo.gl/maps/PondBooTNEU2

I have been a keen Fox engine fan many years but have come under much criticism for using and collecting Duke Fox's engines from folk here in New Zealand who used to support just English products then Japanese (but probably Chinese now). Remember we got rid of nearly all our US airplanes out of the NZ Air force after WWII and replaced them with English just to show our support for Mother England and the Commonwealth  :-[  I have seen terrible pictures of scrap yards full of P40's and F4U's and seen a Museum here (MOTAT) sell off some of their US fighters ( a P47 and P39) because they were not made in the UK and it was not that long ago but that's another story of personal frustration.

Regards Gerald  #^
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:49:26 PM by GERALD WIMMER »

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »
Interesting, we see no eye or ear protection, very few safety guards except for some taped on cardboard and limited lighting for a factory in the early 90s.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 04:59:09 PM »
Interesting, we see no eye or ear protection, very few safety guards except for some taped on cardboard and limited lighting for a factory in the early 90s.

It does seem quite dark, but maybe that's due to the camera technology. Digital stuff probably wouldn't have been so gloomy looking. OSHA required safety guards are usually stored carefully on a shelf, where they won't get in the way of progress! Most the guys I worked with wore corrective lenses, and they sufficed. Hearing protection? WHAT?  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here