News:

• May 22, 2024, 03:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox break in  (Read 679 times)

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox break in
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:12:53 AM »
Probably a silly question, but how do I tell when my 35 is broken in?  It has had about 2 quarts of Superfuel through it, the last one flying in a rich 4 stroke.  The engine runs got better yesterday as the flights progressed.  I'm afraid to lean it out too much - it's running so rich that it won't break in maneuvers, but it's lots more fun than watching it on a stand.  It runs out a 3 ounce tank just fine and doesn't seem to be overly hot at the end. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
Re: Fox break in
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 08:04:04 AM »
Probably a silly question, but how do I tell when my 35 is broken in?  It has had about 2 quarts of Superfuel through it, the last one flying in a rich 4 stroke.  The engine runs got better yesterday as the flights progressed.  I'm afraid to lean it out too much - it's running so rich that it won't break in maneuvers, but it's lots more fun than watching it on a stand.  It runs out a 3 ounce tank just fine and doesn't seem to be overly hot at the end. 

I would think that if you aren't having tank problems i.e. going lean, cutting out, etc. then it is safe to start leaning it out a bit. You indicate that you are using Superfuel so with all that oil it should be OK.

Some folks have reported one lean run ruined their Fox .35. That hasn't been my experience. They seem to be pretty bullet proof if you run lots of Castor. One of the best Fox .35 I had was abused by me when I was young and when I bolted it on a Ruffy in '65 it was a winner... so maybe it was the luck of the draw.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 08:39:38 AM »
Well I figured all mine were broke in when the head turned a gummy black.

I pulled most all my Foxes out of my planes and put in OS engines. More user friendly, easy to get fuel at the LHS (that only has R/C stuff).

« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 09:22:17 AM by rootbeard »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 08:55:53 AM »
I have heard the statement many times that Fox engines have burned out on a lean run. I have never had this happen. Even when I ran my .29R "Bathtub at a lean run with 40% nitro and a 7/10 Top Flite prop it was a happy engine. Given enough oil there should never be a problem. As stated if you are not experiencing any major problems ie cutouts engine going lean etc., it safe to start leaning it out.

Bill Gruby

PS-----I am in no way saying that fried engines don't happen, I've just been lucky I guess.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 09:27:18 AM by Bill Gruby »
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:26:39 PM »

Hi Russell

Typically  when the motor  will  instantly  go right back to a  4 cycle  after being in a 2 cycle, it is broke in.
IF it  still needs  time on it, many times the FOX 35  will hang on a  2 cycle  and  come back to a 4 stroke  slowly as it cools
If you motor  will snap  back into a  4  after the 2 cycle  it is  pretty much ready to go.
It should have a  very floppy feel  with a good  pop  over the  top.

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here