News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:11:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fox and fuel tank problem????????????  (Read 2157 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fox and fuel tank problem????????????
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:57:37 AM »
       Hi All:

I have a Goldgerg Shoestring with a Fox .35 Stunt for power that is giving me a major problem.  The problem goes like this.  The engine is adjusted to run in a 4 cycle and break into a 2 cycle while being rotated on the ground.  The plane is launched in a steady 4 cycle but goes into a strong 2 cycle in about a lap.  It will continue into this mode during the first half of the tank.  It then goes very rich for the remainder of the tank.  No amount of manouvering will cause the engine to go lean again.

The setup is a 10-6 wooden prop.
       A three ounce RSM Uniflow tank.
       The tank is mounted on the cl of the engine
       It does the same whether the tank overflow is plugged or unplugged.
       The engine is very easy to start and adjust.
       I am running an OS .35 nva. in this Fox.
       The plane balances and flies great with this engine but...
       There are no problens with vibration and fuel flow.

I could swap the engine for another Fox or swap the fuel tank to help determine the problem but I thought tht I would ask here before I start making major changes.  How can a Fox .35 Stunt and a Goldberg Shoestring NOT be a trouble free combination? Lol

Any ideas as to what may be causing this problem?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fox and fuel tank problem????????????
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »
Frank - did you turn down the middle of the spray bar to .125?

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
    Hi Robert:

No I did not.  This engine and nva worked very well for Foxberg for many flights.  I will check to see if I have a standard Fox .35 NVA.  I can't imagine that the OS nva. would cause these symptoms. But then again what do I know? Lol

Cheers,

Frank McCune

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »
    Hi Robert:

No I did not.  This engine and nva worked very well for Foxberg for many flights.  I will check to see if I have a standard Fox .35 NVA.  I can't imagine that the OS nva. would cause these symptoms.

Probably not, but you can generally assume that any of these sort of weird issues on a Fox-powered airplane, particularly a profile,   is caused by various parts going in and out of resonance with vibration. This is a typical example - the natural frequency of the tank slosh or tank mount changes as the fuel level changes.  4-strokes also shake a lot, typically, and we have altered this sort of behavior by putting small weights on the tank. We could shift where/when it happened during a tank of fuel by changing the resonant frequency.  Note I said altered, I can't recall any cases where it was solved completely. It's remotely possible that the NVA itself is the source, but the OS is generally much less prone to vibration issues than most others, particularly the SuperTigre.

If it was me, I would probably first try putting a stick-on weight on the tank (like an ounce, maybe) and see if it changes the behavior. If so, that's the issue, but what to do about it to actually solve the problem is unclear.

Brett

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 11:02:48 AM »
       Hi Brett:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I think that I should make a Winter Project out of attaching a ST G20-.23 or a Brodak .25 to the Shoestring and stop fighting The Fox Curse. Of course there will be a  need for more nose weight but both of those engines should pull a Shoestring quite well.

Be well,

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 01:33:11 PM »
Frank

The  typical setup for a FOX 35  is  to  NOT put the tank on centerline, but to  raise the tank  3/16 to 1/4 inch.  Keep the tank as close to the motor as possible,  Do Not use a  OS NVA in it unless it is the  OS 15 or 20, The  OS 35S  is  much thicker and will  kill off power on the FOX
I would switch fuels, and  switch tanks, one  after another, to see what affect it has, the prop, if balanced, should pose to problem.
And  make sure  your  using  25% oil in the FOX or better, and I would recommend  part of that synthetic

Let us know

Randy

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
      Hello Randy:

Thanks for the reply!

Here is some information re.my setup:

Tank on CL until I start flying inverted. It is made to be adjusted at the field.  First I must get the engine to make a consistent run in level flight.

The tank is very close to the engine

The fuel is 22% castor,5% synthetic, 10% nitro and a dollop of prop.

The prop and spinner are both balanced.

I can beleive that the OS nva is too large in diameter for the Fox .35 Stunt.  Perhaps this is why this engine gave 62 laps per 2 oz. tank in Foxberg.  My Fox .35 Stunt with the standard Fox nva gave 34 laps per tank but was faster.  I will see in I can find smaller nva.

In any case, things to keep me out of the bars.

Be well,

Frank McCune

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:03 PM »

" Tank on CL until I start flying inverted. It is made to be adjusted at the field.  First I must get the engine to make a consistent run in level flight."

Having the tank on the center line will give you issues in level flight. If the tank you are using is a wide wedge type, that causes needling issues also.  With a Fox .35 I usually start out with the tank center line even with the by pass port on the engine and be able to adjust 1/4" or more up or down. I know the Shoestring doesn't have much room for a tank but search out here on the forums for what guys have made or used to get as much fuel capacity as they need. I would shoot for 4 ounces. 3 ounces on a Fox won't take you very far. And just for giggles and grins, drop down to a 10-5 prop while you are sorting things out.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee                    '
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 08:39:14 PM »
Add some castor to your fuel. I like 25% castor, 2 % synthetic. I agree with the recommendations. 9x6 or 10x5 work the best for me.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 08:55:53 PM »
I would try armor-all, a few drops in the jug till the fuel does not foam when you give it a shake.

Pat MacKenzie.
MAAC 8177

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 06:24:14 PM »
Frank,
Couple things to start, put the stick in the bypass of the Fox 35. Raise the tank as Randy said 3/16" above the engine centerline. If the engine has a muffler drop the prop to a 9x6 (the Brodak BYO prop works well). Last make sure the vent line is on the inside of the fuse pointing into the air flow. I had a problem just as you describe. I had the tank vent up in back of the engine. I remembered old advice about the position of the vent being located to the inside of the fuse. As soon as I moved the vent to the inside of the fuse all the run issues ended. I run 10% N fuel with 27% (50/50) oil. I run the 9x6 prop (I run an RSM 9x6 heat pitched up to 6.5, the BYO is near this pitch out of the bag). Last thing is make sure the engine does not have any binding. Check this by removing the plug and backplate but keep the muffler on and tight, pull the engine through a full revolution. If you find a bind check the muffler, loosen it and check again (if you have only the tabs you need to add support tubes down the exhaust between the tab and muffler). If that isn't it check the head bolts, sometimes they bind on the side of the bolt recess in the head. Easy fix here is to file down the offending bolt (put it in a drill and run it against a file). When you mount the engine in the ship if you have hard aluminum pads put 1/32" plywood "crush" pads under the mounts and tighten down evenly. 

Let us know how you do.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »
Theyall usedtosay you put the tank up 1/4 inch from center , on a side mounted fox .35 .

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 08:26:33 PM »
                              I have found the Shoestring to be very problematic with the Fox.35. I was able to eliminate a lot of problems with reworking the wing construction. I have found the two center ribs to be the problem. The entire front end is like a tuning fork. Some of this was resolved by installing a 1/2" center rib in between them. Unfortunately, the dado joints aren't spaced enough apart to accept a  full 1/2" center rib and sanding is needed to insert the solid piece in between the two ribs. I removed the fuse and installed the solid piece and 90% of the problem disappeared. I glassed the cheek cowl to the sheeting and the fuse to the sheeting from the doublers to the trailing edge on both sides using light weight glass. The other 10% was resolved using a spinner which has ball bearings within it.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
The other 10% was resolved using a spinner which has ball bearings within it.

That's amazing, I have never seen anything like that.

Brett

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 09:44:25 PM »
That type of damper was also used on some Lycomings when installed in experimental aircraft. Obviously, its purpose is to soften the torsional vibration. Problem generally is that it adds nose weight. If I recall correctly, the case was segmented, so that the damping media would never be a significant source of imbalance. I don't remember if it was also silicone-filled (super high viscosity.)

Dave

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 01:36:58 AM »
       Hi All:

I have a Goldgerg Shoestring with a Fox .35 Stunt for power that is giving me a major problem.  The problem goes like this.  The engine is adjusted to run in a 4 cycle and break into a 2 cycle while being rotated on the ground.  The plane is launched in a steady 4 cycle but goes into a strong 2 cycle in about a lap.  It will continue into this mode during the first half of the tank.  It then goes very rich for the remainder of the tank.  No amount of manouvering will cause the engine to go lean again.

The setup is a 10-6 wooden prop.
       A three ounce RSM Uniflow tank.
       The tank is mounted on the cl of the engine
       It does the same whether the tank overflow is plugged or unplugged.
       The engine is very easy to start and adjust.
       I am running an OS .35 nva. in this Fox.
       The plane balances and flies great with this engine but...
       There are no problens with vibration and fuel flow.

I could swap the engine for another Fox or swap the fuel tank to help determine the problem but I thought tht I would ask here before I start making major changes.  How can a Fox .35 Stunt and a Goldberg Shoestring NOT be a trouble free combination? Lol

Any ideas as to what may be causing this problem?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Hi Frank
Let us know how the  hints  here work,  I can also tell you that I had  several of  ALL  the Goldberg Planes, Cosmic Wing   Shoestring, Buster , and   all 3 of them  I used  FOX 35s in,  they all ran fine  with  no problem,  I ran them  with the  uniflow tank, open to atmosphere, tank raised  3/16 to 1/4 inch above center line,  I used  28% oil  1/2 castor  Hot RC plug ( back then, today I may use hot non idle bar)  and  normally  a  10 x 6 or 10 x 5 wood prop.
I also  had these 3 with  OS 35s  engines, they also ran well.  I did nothing  trick to the planes  except  good solid construction, flat motor mounts  and  foam under the tanks,  I kept the  tank very close to the engines, and I had both silkspan painted  and  Monocoat  covered ones.  By the way the  Shoestring seems  to be the be flying one .

Randy

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 08:54:52 AM »
Frank,
I have had the same problem and fought it for a long while, recently I remembered some advice that was given at one of the GSCB forums in the 70's about putting the uniflow (or even the conventional vent) into the free airflow stream on the circle inside side of the fuse. I made this one change and all my Fox (and other profile mounted engine) run problems went away. I was able to back to the RMS 10x6 prop with the same muffler I was running on the 9x6. Try it is simple to make up the tab and tube.

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:53:18 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »
If you haven't tried this already, kick the back of the tank(where the pickup is located inside) out 1/4 inch, for an outside mounted tank.  This will keep the fuel puddled where it is supposed to be, especially if the plane flies more nose out than expected.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here